Coach Don Pyke - over to the Eagles as new CEO

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
Pyke’s appointment is interesting. Adelaide went from minor premiers/grand finalists to wooden spooners within 3 years. Only Fremantle under Lyon had such a dramatic fall from grace in recent times.

He lost the players in the last two years of his tenure on the field. He’s not to blame for all of their off field woes but he was the senior coach so you would assume he’d have a say.

Post the introduction of the 6-6-6 rule Adelaide’s scoring dried up as the extra players in defence he’d used so successfully to transition the hall out of defence were forced to start in an allocated position. Hopefully tactically he’s learnt from Adelaide’s failings.

Anyway it’s good to see the club bring in someone from outside the past player hub.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Pyke’s appointment is interesting. Adelaide went from minor premiers/grand finalists to wooden spooners within 3 years. Only Fremantle under Lyon had such a dramatic fall from grace in recent times.

He lost the players in the last two years of his tenure on the field. He’s not to blame for all of their off field woes but he was the senior coach so you would assume he’d have a say.

Post the introduction of the 6-6-6 rule Adelaide’s scoring dried up as the extra players in defence he’d used so successfully to transition the hall out of defence were forced to start in an allocated position. Hopefully tactically he’s learnt from Adelaide’s failings.

Anyway it’s good to see the club bring in someone from outside the past player hub.
I think we can be glad he's not coach, Longmire has never lost the players.

But I think he is also probably one of the most different coaches to longmire, which is a really good thing imo.

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Good appointment. The crows played some good foot under him and he's the type to think outside the box and bring in some fresh ideas (popular or not).

I think we can be glad he's not coach, Longmire has never lost the players.

But I think he is also probably one of the most different coaches to longmire, which is a really good thing imo.
Longmire is a very good mentor for him, particularly around mental health and well being. This is not just a good get for the club, its a bloody good get for Don Pyke.

joejoejoe

Rookie
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm not sure about this one. Pyke was balls deep in the camp fiasco and the cover up that followed and I don't think I want him near our young players. We have to deal with the fallout of having a woman beater on our list and Harley thinks this is a good idea?

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Recent coach departures:

Dew
Shaw
Francou
Blakey
Playfair
Johnson

I know that coaches shift around to seek better jobs but should we be worried about this? Is there some sort of problem?
First two were to senior coach positions
Blakey touted as a possible upgrade on Shaw at North. What problems they have

So thats 3 targeted raids? on us. Has to be a compliment!

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Recent coach departures:

Dew
Shaw
Francou
Blakey
Playfair
Johnson

I know that coaches shift around to seek better jobs but should we be worried about this? Is there some sort of problem?

Dew, Shaw seeked to become senior coaches so that always takes precedence over a assistant role.
Francou wanted to go back to SA
Blakey had been here a longgggg time and most on here wanted a refresh.
Johnson initially was linked to GWS then for some reason came here.
Playfair upgraded role at Carlton

Would of been concerned if Cox left but the above looks normal.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Recent coach departures:

Dew
Shaw
Francou
Blakey
Playfair
Johnson

Highlights how respected we are I would have thought? Everyone was poaching coaches under Clarko for a long time, this feels no different

Crust

All Australian
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SUANFC
From the Crows' board:

"BunjiMac said:
Don's always been a numbers and analysis guy.

He's someone that can come up with a pretty good plan based on a set of retrospective data. He'll therefore make an excellent assistant coach and provide some great analysis in he background."
"Yep, just doesn’t get the human element of things. "

Horse has the human element covered in spades so hopefully this will be a winning combination.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
From the Crows' board:

Horse has the human element covered in spades so hopefully this will be a winning combination.
This is supposedly the same issue Eade had. Was a great tactician but horrible man manager. Excited by this prospect between Horse & Pyke

From the Crows' board:

I did not like Pyke as a player at all. Strangely muscled up as many of the Eagles were during his time.

I really doubt we are paying him much. The bloke is a gazillionaire and footy is his hobby. I expect he is enjoying himself.

I reckon Cox and McVeigh influenced our game style a lot last year. A tsunami of injury really cruelled us and that game style which was formative of what we have been doing. Left to his druthers Horse would still be employing the game style he learnt under Roos. Whatever Horse's weaknesses, his strengths seem to be people management.

No doubt Pyke is a 'brainiac' and a perfect "ying" to Horse's "yang" people skills. Cox and McVeigh seem somewhere in the middle being both clever and analytical and personable. I always enjoy listening to these two guys. I have no idea how Benny Mathews fits into the picture.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I did not like Pyke as a player at all. Strangely muscled up as many of the Eagles were during his time.

I really doubt we are paying him much. The bloke is a gazillionaire and footy is his hobby. I expect he is enjoying himself.

I reckon Cox and McVeigh influenced our game style a lot last year. A tsunami of injury really cruelled us and that game style which was formative of what we have been doing. Left to his druthers Horse would still be employing the game style he learnt under Roos. Whatever Horse's weaknesses, his strengths seem to be people management.

No doubt Pyke is a 'brainiac' and a perfect "ying" to Horse's "yang" people skills. Cox and McVeigh seem somewhere in the middle being both clever and analytical and personable. I always enjoy listening to these two guys. I have no idea how Benny Mathews fits into the picture.

Is he really that rich :eek:?

Back