Coach Don Pyke - over to the Eagles as new CEO

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure why Don Pyke isn't getting more love around here. He is the reason for the great start to the year IMO.

No way is JL the mastermind behind this
To be honest all our platitudes have been written in other threads. Mostly autopsy & media I think, but you're right, bloke has his own thread and the plaudits should go here

Precisely Sister Michael GIF - Precisely SisterMichael Derrygirls GIFs

Do we know that?
No we don't...

Cadsky posted this in the contracts thread, but Blakey clearly states that they were trying to do this last year, and both Heeney and JPK have said the same thing in recent interviews. But they all also that Pyke has been great, tweaking things here and there and really helping them out...

It's like talking about the chicken or the egg. We had been developing an attacking game style, and I heard that Pyke has been courted, not only by us, but also the Pies. So during the season Pyke watches the games and sees a team, us, try to move the footy better, and a team, Collingwood, not even bother to change.

He would obviously go to the team that is doing their best to adapt the type of gameplan that he would want to coach.

JL deserves the credit for the change, and the constant effort put into by the team.
Pyke probably deserves credit for just how potent it has been.

It's like talking about the chicken or the egg. We had been developing an attacking game style, and I heard that Pyke has been courted, not only by us, but also the Pies. So during the season Pyke watches the games and sees a team, us, try to move the footy better, and a team, Collingwood, not even bother to change.

He would obviously go to the team that is doing their best to adapt the type of gameplan that he would want to coach.

JL deserves the credit for the change, and the constant effort put into by the team.
Pyke probably deserves credit for just how potent it has been.
Exciting times. Long way to go, but maybe, just maybe, all the crucial elements are aligning.....

Effing LOVE this footy club.

Exciting times. Long way to go, but maybe, just maybe, all the crucial elements are aligning.....

Effing LOVE this footy club.

It would be nice to be that team that wins 2 flags in 3 years for a change, but I’d take just one especially if it’s while Buddy is still on the list. Seeing him win a flag with us after all the talk of him destroying our depth would be very satisfying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be nice to be that team that wins 2 flags in 3 years for a change, but I’d take just one especially if it’s while Buddy is still on the list. Seeing him win a flag with us after all the talk of him destroying our depth would be very satisfying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hear, hear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suspect Pyke is a cerebral unit, but not one comfortable or adept with the hurley burley of player interaction. s**t maybe I am being unfair (the way of my people) .

The bloke is a footy nuff nuff and it is his hobby. He could I expect buy and sell the collective wealth of our list and it would not matter to him.

Suspect Pyke is a cerebral unit, but not one comfortable or adept with the hurley burley of player interaction. sh*t maybe I am being unfair (the way of my people) .

The bloke is a footy nuff nuff and it is his hobby. He could I expect buy and sell the collective wealth of our list and it would not matter to him.

Yes that's the vibe I get too.
More broadly if he doesn't need the money, then the questions are:
1. Does he want a senior coaching gig?
2. If so, does he want to go to Collingwood?

Who would want to coach Collingwood now?
Its list management is a shambles, the board is facing a challenge, its best player in the wonderful Pendles and second best Sidebottom are at the end of their careers. Elliott is a gun but spends more time in the medical room than on the park, De Goey has talent but is a flog, and Cox is limp. Grundy is massively overpaid for his output. There are good senior players and Adams is the standout there, with Moore, Mihochek and Hoskin-Elliott. Maynard is ok. Some kids like McInnes and Daicos will be good. I don't know about the other kids.
To be fair, getting Wright back is a good move, but the board issues have to be sorted out, and soon.
There is no money to buy players, and I reckon Grundy's wage will cause friction. Therefore the only option is the draft, and some years at the bottom.
I can't see any reason to sell any of the players who have some currency, unless to dump salary. They will be needed to help guide the drafted players.
Eddie has a huge audience and will be sniping from the sidelines, and the Melbourne footy media will be all over the new coach. It is one of the most highly scrutinised coaching positions in the country.
Coaches who start a rebuild generally are sacked before the fruits ripen, because it doesn't matter what the coach is doing, it is never quick enough.

Who would want that?

Or would Pyke prefer to stay here, with a stable administration, good crop of young players, away from the limelight?
I suppose it really depends on how much he wants to be a senior coach.
Maybe his coaching itch is being scratched right now.

I reckon, because he doesn't need the money, he would take the Collingwood gig because regardless of whether it ends up good or bad, he's still set and probably doesn't care what the Collingwood board etc would say to him

Hopefully he's enjoying the minimal scrutiny that comes with an assistants role. But I assume he's competitive and would like a other senior opportunity

Remove this Banner Ad

Back