List Mgmt. Welcome Elijah Hewett (Pick 14, 2022 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

He can use his left but isn't someone who is legitimately duel sided at the moment. I think with the way he plays it will come on a fair bit as the basics are sound and he will use the opportunity to evade an opponent and turn onto either side quite a lot. Looks pretty good when running and moving through the ball which forces you to kick as part of your stride. However doesn't have the natural balance/brain yet to kick off a step or with any great precision or power.

Left Footers:

1st kick: A terrific chip kick over 20m. Under no pressure and quite well balanced.
2th Kick: A decent bailout option when wrongfooted and is good enough to get close to another WA player but not really hitting a target.
3th Kick: A LF kick thrown on the boot while boxed into a pocket. Sprayed it unfortunately where obviously he hit it poorly but the lack of balance to setup for a left foot kick meant he never really had a chance.
4th Kick: A confident kick from a mark. Is a nice little pop up and has decent distance on it (35m) but not really directed to anyone. Shows he is confident in using his left side.
5th Kick LF in open play. Has a chance to hitup a target inside 50 with not a lot of pressure but the kick drops short. Would have felt good off the boot but doesn't kick through the footy.
6th Kick LF in open play under moderate pressure. Is a terrific attempt on the left and his best effort. Perhaps a bit high but is as good as you could want when evading an opposition and using the non preferred side.
7th Kick: Thrown on the boot to the top of the square. Hit it quite well if but a shot at goal from 35 out would have been a better option if possible..

Is quite risk adverse on his dominant right boot. Had a lot of inside 50s in this game yet only hit a couple of targets. There's a little bit of playing within himself with kicking execution, but when theres a bit of time and space he has quite poor vision and decision making. Noticeably with a lot of insde 50 kicks he elects to give the ball air which is a great sign of maturity and game sense.

Right Footers:
1st kick: A classic bomb it in high after working yourself into trouble. Made the best of a bad situation but really just went for distance.
2nd Kick: Hits up our boy Dewar & IMO is a lot more impressive than it looks. The kick is high and loopy but to space perfectly. The exact opposite of the Bontompelli style bullet inside 50 that looks good on TV but must be a nightmare for the fwd line to get on the end of. Hewett also left himself a large degree of error by taking a relatively easy kick as he is at pace and had 2-3 guys hot on his heels.
3rd Kick: In the clear, has a pretty open fwd 50 and puts it to advantage but not well enough. A pretty poor result but as above the kick is made with a good degree of error from Hewett and still hits his target.
4th Kick: In the clear, and goes for another high ball inside 50. Perhaps trying to get out the back but that kind of play doesn't happen at AFL level. The much better kick would have been a 25 hitup to the relatively free Tregenza-Cashell.
5th Kick: A blind turn and burn before going for distance inside 50. A waste as he neither aims for a target or gives it enough air for the fwds to compete.
6th Kick: Chip sideways. Perfect. Counts for nothing.
7th Kick: A good decision and does well off the mark to be looking up and goes quickly. Hits a short option with no pressure. The ball barely travels 15 and is similar to the previous kick in that it is the kind that is hammered home to developing players. It doesn't exactly show the scope of a players skills and in a game isn't damaging.

*All footage is from the U18 championship game WA v Vic Metro as Hewett played a good game and gave us a good sample size to compare on a clear day.

Already better on his wrong foot than Gaff, Sheed and a lot of others in our team. Def a key to being a great evasive midfielder.

I still find it hard to believe you can be an AFL footballer and NOT have reasonable skills on your opposing foot.

Gee whiz. It's literally your job. No ammo or state league player should be better on their non preferred than an AFL player, yet it happens a lot.

Thankfully Hewett knows what's up.

I still find it hard to believe you can be an AFL footballer and NOT have reasonable skills on your opposing foot.

Gee whiz. It's literally your job. No ammo or state league player should be better on their non preferred than an AFL player, yet it happens a lot.

You don't have to be an amazing kick on your non-preferred either. Just good enough so you don't swing back to your preferred foot every. *******. time.

A draft prospect this year in Ashton Moir has both sides in spades.

Left footers in particular rarely develop the right foot. I guess they grow up evading kids that expect them to go on their right and they seem to be great kicks on the left, so never bother.
I agree, cant imagine getting to this level and not being a reasonable kick on the opposite foot.

Also an underrated part of JK's skillset we will miss.
He was so bloody good on the left, especially snapping (absolutely ridiculous in general snapping for goal).

GOOD LUCK OSCAR!

Also an underrated part of JK's skillset we will miss.
He was so bloody good on the left, especially snapping (absolutely ridiculous in general snapping for goal).

GOOD LUCK OSCAR!
It’s kinda funny how some of the best dual sided players in the game are are some big *ing trucks. Hawkins, Tex and Riewoldt were also great on their left

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Other than a lot of waffle about kicking on the non preferred ( and I agree totally by the way) what’s the goss on Hewitt? Ginbey is getting the wraps but nada on Elija!

Other than a lot of waffle about kicking on the non preferred ( and I agree totally by the way) what’s the goss on Hewitt? Ginbey is getting the wraps but nada on Elija!
Ginbey is more explosive and noticeable so from what I can gather he standouts more from a casual viewing. Hewitt isn’t as athletic but certainly isn’t a slouch. Looks a natural footballer in the drills I’ve seen and still is a good athlete.

Personally I’m very bullish on Hewitt he has a natural feel for the game and is exceptionally skilled and dual sided. I’m expecting him to be our best of the first year players

Ginbey is more explosive and noticeable so from what I can gather he standouts more from a casual viewing. Hewitt isn’t as athletic but certainly isn’t a slouch. Looks a natural footballer in the drills I’ve seen and still is a good athlete.

Personally I’m very bullish on Hewitt he has a natural feel for the game and is exceptionally skilled and dual sided. I’m expecting him to be our best of the first year players

It will help also that he can play in positions of need for us (where Ginbey is probably more a pure inside mid, and will have some competition for spots there as well as the coaches being aware it is hard to play that position for the first 2-3 years of an AFL career while your body gets up-to-standard).

Hewett can play fwd, wing and balanced mid. And our forward line is relatively weak (I count 3 spots as 'up for grabs').

Really liking our mix of players from the 2021/2022 drafts (main, rookie and mid-season). None are elite yet of course, but if we can find a few that are, then another couple of A-/B+ types we are well on the way to having a top-4 contending team again.

I agree. Natural footballer .

I agree. Natural footballer .
My brain always ends up here when I hear "He's a natural":

tyrone GIF

Ginbey was a more highly rated player by most clubs and pundits so shouldn't be surprising.
Hewett looks pretty good though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back