List Mgmt. Welcome Harry Barnett (Pick 23, 2022 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

202cm but has the shape of a traditional Key Forward.

Generally skeptical of rucks as they develop so slowly. His physical advantage over his peers may diminish in time but he looks like he's got some football ability.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

202cm but has the shape of a traditional Key Forward.

Generally skeptical of rucks as they develop so slowly. His physical advantage over his peers may diminish in time but he looks like he's got some football ability.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

With his leap and athleticism, he could indeed make a formidable full forward.

Lycett was 203cm and by the looks of Barnett, less agile

Rowan Marshall 201cm
Sean Darcy 203cm
Tim English 207cm
Luke Jackson 199cm

They’re some of the young rucks he’ll come up against in time

He’ll be ok

We had a need to draft a ruck.

And we got the best ruck in the draft with our third selection.

That's a fantastic outcome.

202cm, 97kg. That's taller and heavier than B.Williams. He's a BIG unit already.

Which makes his combine testing all the more impressive - 6:32min 2km and 3s 20m is freakish at that size.

Seems to have gone under the radar somewhat with the media focus of the draft looking elsewhere.

Follows up well from stoppage, pushes into space and reads play behind the ball more like a key defender than a typical ruckman.

If he develops a genuine link-up game to partner those athletic traits then it will become a question in future years of how was he allowed to slip to pick 23.

Outstanding amount to work with here.

The more I see of him, the more things I see that leave me impressed.

With the tactical flavour of the competition being rucks that can push back defensively to free up intercept defenders, he has a unique set of attributes that could make him a very valuable player far beyond basic ruck work.

After Redden hung up his boots and with Hurn not far off either, the club needed to boost its South Australian quota anyway.

Welcome to West Coast Harry. Plenty of opportunity available early if you're willing to take it.

Lycett was 203cm and by the looks of Barnett, less agile
Was thinking about Slyce watching Barnett’s videos. If you watch Lycett’s predraft stuff he was pretty damn agile and had a big leap. That’s what was disappointing about his first few years with the club, he seemed to lose that as soon as he bulked up

202cm, 97kg. That's taller and heavier than B.Williams. He's a BIG unit already.

Which makes his combine testing all the more impressive - 6:32min 2km and 3s 20m is freakish at that size.

Seems to have gone under the radar somewhat with the media focus of the draft looking elsewhere.

Follows up well from stoppage, pushes into space and reads play behind the ball more like a key defender than a typical ruckman.

If he develops a genuine link-up game to partner those athletic traits then it will become a question in future years of how was he allowed to slip to pick 23.

With the tactical flavour of the competition being rucks that can push back defensively to free up intercept defenders, he has a unique set of attributes that could make him a very valuable player far beyond basic ruck work.

After Redden hung up his boots and with Hurn not far off either, the club needed to boost its South Australian quota anyway.

Welcome to West Coast Harry. Plenty of opportunity available early if you're willing to take it.
WCE_phil posted last night that Barnett played as a KPD before shifting into the ruck which helps explain your observations here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean,

Probably? He's really got you here. Very meme-able.😬

Well, it's already unintentionally worked better than the Redden replacement post, so I'll take that as a win.

I think it comes down to the ceiling on this guy. I don't know much about him. Being the best ruck in a draft is one thing - but will he be good overall. For a second round selection - I'd expect him to become our number 1 ruck in 4 or 5 years.

Still doesn't help solve our ruck dilemma and in some ways, it makes it worse. We have Jamo and Williams still developing and no mature options to cover if Nic goes down. One of them either needs to take a big step in 2023 or we'll need to cut some losses and get a mature one in at the end of the season.
One thing I noticed is he's already over 90kg, which suggests he's already done a bit of filling out. With a bit of luck, he might be ready by 2025 to lead the ruck. That's best case scenario, but let's hope it eventuates.

Impressive set of numbers - fits the modern game perfectly

I feel he has the most impressive highlights of all our draftees.

A mobile ruckman who can clunk marks up forward and down back, being tutored on the art of tapwork by Nic Naitanui.

* me.
If the results of the quality of tap work by the other recent rucks are anything to go by Nic needs to work on his tutoring.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back