List Mgmt. Welcome Harry Barnett (Pick 23, 2022 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

We had a need to draft a ruck.

And we got the best ruck in the draft with our third selection.

That's a fantastic outcome.

202cm, 97kg. That's taller and heavier than B.Williams. He's a BIG unit already.

Which makes his combine testing all the more impressive - 6:32min 2km and 3s 20m is freakish at that size.

Seems to have gone under the radar somewhat with the media focus of the draft looking elsewhere.

Follows up well from stoppage, pushes into space and reads play behind the ball more like a key defender than a typical ruckman.

If he develops a genuine link-up game to partner those athletic traits then it will become a question in future years of how was he allowed to slip to pick 23.

Outstanding amount to work with here.

The more I see of him, the more things I see that leave me impressed.

With the tactical flavour of the competition being rucks that can push back defensively to free up intercept defenders, he has a unique set of attributes that could make him a very valuable player far beyond basic ruck work.

After Redden hung up his boots and with Hurn not far off either, the club needed to boost its South Australian quota anyway.

Welcome to West Coast Harry. Plenty of opportunity available early if you're willing to take it.
Reminds me of Max Gawn

Harry got in late due to a delayed flight

F65DDF83-6DAA-41AE-8175-8B15D5E0D0BD.jpeg

He’s actually a decent size going by this photo. Not as skinny and raw as Jamieson was and kinda still is

I figured we wouldn’t see much, if any, of him in the seniors this year but can see him getting a run

View attachment 1566728

He’s actually a decent size going by this photo. Not as skinny and raw as Jamieson was and kinda still is

I figured we wouldn’t see much, if any, of him in the seniors this year but can see him getting a run

Keys from what I have seen of him in the SANFL league, playing for West Adelaide, I would say at the very least he will be keeping the heat well and truely on Bailey Williams from day one to perform and furthermore, his ruck craft is already superior to Jamieson.

His ability to take contested marks both in the forward line and in defence will be hard for the match committee to miss.
I thought ( all be it not a whole lot of games) that he has already shown that he is a decent kick at goal, with a genuine 50m + range, leg on him.
Also his general field kicking is pretty darn good for a kid his size.
He does need to improve and fine hone his ruck work, but the basics tools are certainly there to build upon.
I was impressed by the way he moves around the ground and style wise, the comparison to Grundy, IMO, is not far off the mark.

We will need to be patient, BUT I think we may have a really good prospect on our hands.
When you are looking for points of difference in assessing respective young talent, big Harry already separates himself from other ruck prospects with both his superior endurance and his general leg speed.

202 cm and 93 kg is already a good size, however if he has a few more cm left in the growth tank 🤞, and does the gym work, then he is going to be a lump of a lad.

I am very much glass half full with Harry Barnett. :thumbsu:

View attachment 1566728

Yep, me too. Reckon he will get a run too; though on another note, Jamo is not a twig anymore - he's built himself up nicely, and will surprise a few. Jamo seems to be training as a backman, which I find interesting. Maybe a move forward for either the Gov or Barrass, as Simo was wanting to do that with the latter in the season just gone.

Keys from what I have seen of him in the SANFL league, playing for West Adelaide, I would say at the very least he will be keeping the heat well and truely on Bailey Williams from day one to perform and furthermore, his ruck craft is already superior to Jamieson.

His ability to take contested marks both in the forward line and in defence will be hard for the match committee to miss.
I thought ( all be it not a whole lot of games) that he has already shown that he is a decent kick at goal, with a genuine 50m + range, leg on him.
Also his general field kicking is pretty darn good for a kid his size.
He does need to improve and fine hone his ruck work, but the basics tools are certainly there to build upon.
I was impressed by the way he moves around the ground and style wise, the comparison to Grundy, IMO, is not far off the mark.

We will need to be patient, BUT I think we may have a really good prospect on our hands.
When you are looking for points of difference in assessing respective young talent, big Harry already separates himself from other ruck prospects with both his superior endurance and his general leg speed.

202 cm and 93 kg is already a good size, however if he has a few more cm left in the growth tank 🤞, and does the gym work, then he is going to be a lump of a lad.

I am very much glass half full with Harry Barnett. :thumbsu:
It should be taken into consideration that he’s a January birthday (22/1/04) so one of the oldest draftees and less than 2 months younger than Jack Williams who was a December ‘03 baby

View attachment 1566728

If Barnett's listed as 202cm, surely the Dish should be in records too.

197cm has been his constant measurement.

If Barnett's listed as 202cm, surely the Dish should be in records too.

197cm has been his constant measurement.
West Coast have special height distorting cameras making it impossible to calculate any players true height. That now includes staff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A little confused here, he doesn't look 202cm, he looks shorter than Petrie who is 197 and only 2-3 inches over Simmo who is 6'1.

He wont make it as a ruck if he's 197cm

A little confused here, he doesn't look 202cm, he looks shorter than Petrie who is 197 and only 2-3 inches over Simmo who is 6'1.

Hands in pockets slouched over and about half a metre in front of Petrie. Could easily get an extra 5cm with those factors

They get accurately measured at he combine don't they? I think he's a solid 202cm
Not sure how old this pic is but here he is next to MM (190cm) and Poo (192cm)

m.jpg

How the * do you get to 93kg as an 18 year old, especially when you're required to be aerobically fit? Incredible.

He's not the only one like that.

GWS newbie Nick Madden is already 204-112.

Born in 2004 like Barnett.

TBH the same way you get to 75kg if you are 180cm.
Reckon I came out of school 70kg at 187 if I was drilping wet. I remember polishing off a big bucket of musashi bulk and eating everything in sight and thinking I’d put on heaps after a period on the weights and finding out I’d gained about 500g.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back