Retired 9. Jack Steven (2020 -2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks to have trimmed right down
Someone take him for a haircut tho and we'll have a brand new Jack
There's a reason those hoops fade to black on the edges.

I'm not saying he is, but certain medications related to mental health/illness will support weight gain. Not all, but some.

Then again, donuts and beer will do the same.

A lot of things to go right here but hopefully we can get 2 or 3 good seasons out of this guy. I'll bet his father will be really chuffed. It's hard to believe a lad from Lorne and father from Highton would ever want to play for St Kilda. I guess that is the circumstances of modern footy drafts etc. If he does not get a new lease of life playing for Geelong I will be very surprised.

Sounds pretty content to be in the hoops:

"It will just make me more comfortable," Steven said.

"Obviously with a young family and my own family around I will just be nice and comfortable, get fit again, get happy and get healthy. That is what I am aiming do."

The 28-year-old said his parents were "over the moon" with the move and he expected it would help his wellbeing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if he gets fit, you're gonna love him. Can shank it, but absolutely makes up for it with his explosiveness and forward nous. Been by far our best player for years while copping the tag and doing all the heavy lifting, so will be nice to see how he fairs with a bit more class around him. Would love to see him winning finals, so good luck (you bastards!)

His age changes in nearly every article, one minute he is 27 then he is 30 then he is 29 (correct) and now he is 28, seriously get it ******* right
Found the fountain of youth or the Benjamin Button option and drops in age each year

Looks good in the hoops! Was unsure during trade period and in the lead up, but has been all class in his departure and his commitment to come back early and get in shape (which it looks like he's already starting to do!) :)

Pretty amazing to have a combined 20 B + F's on our list now (with Steven's added 4). That'd be close to the most of any side I reckon

Ablett - 6
Danger - 4
Steven - 4
Sel - 3
Blics - 2
Hawkins 1

Was just having a look over our list (with a focus on the midfield) and things are actually starting to look pretty good.

These are players capable of making up Best 22 who can play through the midfield now (everyone can play dual position except Constable):

Patrick Dangerfield
Joel Selwood
Gary Ablett
Mitch Duncan
Jack Steven
Luke Dahlhaus
Cam Guthrie
Quinton Narkle
Nakia Cockatoo
Brandan Parfitt
Jordan Clark
Sam Menegola
Tom Atkins
Charlie Constable
Lachie Fogarty

Add in another couple of top end mids from this draft, and that depth (when all fit and firing), is insanely good.

I need to be honest here - I have had very little incentive to watch St K over the last 5-6 years so I have hardly seen Steven play.

With this in mind, can someone answer this: Is Jack Steven actually any good? Or is he just a “good stats in a bad team” guy? This is an honest question.

Thanks in advance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back