Welcome Welcome Jaeger O'Meara!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

There's talk about playing Jaeger half-forward. I went at looked at Wiki (yes, I know - the "mighty" Wikipedia!) and was surprised to find he kicked 27 goals from 44 appearances for GC (had 2 seasons wiped out in 2015/16) and 42 from 99 in a mostly struggling Hawthorn team. His knee has been his biggest hindrance and I reckon had he played more football, his goal tally might be even more impressive for a midfielder by trade. Not bad, overall...if he can get amongst the goals again it would be really handy to have another potential mid-cum-half forward type that can snag 10 or 15+ goals here and there. Not expecting it, but looking forward to see what happens for him in his debut Freo season
Rotate midfield with Fyfe.

A couple of years ago JOM arrived at my mates partners palates centre during the off-season.

He was really professional making sure he kept his off season routines. He's a true professional who will support the younger players. That is coming from a Hawks friend.

Pardon the interruption but days later and I'm still really sad about JOM leaving. Such a decent, intelligent guy, team oriented person, dedicated professional. I've loved watching Freo this year so I hope he does really well for you and ends up with a premiership medallion or two.

Just wanted to share the following few paras which say a fair bit about Jaeger (from April 2022 article about Jai Newcombe's rise from obscurity, in case anyone wants to know where it came from)

"Newcombe didn’t only go from Poowong to Box Hill to Hawthorn, he went from Poowong to Toorak when he was drafted by the Hawks, moving in with poster boy O'Meara in the second half of last season. And it was there, under the same roof as the stand-in captain where he learnt some of the finer details about life in the AFL.

The first meal that Newcombe whipped up was a scalloped potato dish that was layered with cream. It went down a treat, but not without O'Meara suggesting that dish be removed from the repertoire, at least in-season. Newcombe took it on board and still smiles about the gentle reminder that he isn’t playing country footy anymore.

"I went from Poowong to Toorak; fair change of scenery. It was pretty cool to live with Jaeger. He's got a nice place and he eats well; he is a professional athlete that’s for sure, he doesn’t look the way he does for no reason," he said.

"To get the insight off him was great, how to prepare on game day and days leading in. He taught me there and then about the shoulds and shouldn'ts he's been massive in showing me the way. I can't thank him enough for what he was able to do for me at the start of the year."

Pardon the interruption but days later and I'm still really sad about JOM leaving. Such a decent, intelligent guy, team oriented person, dedicated professional. I've loved watching Freo this year so I hope he does really well for you and ends up with a premiership medallion or two.

Just wanted to share the following few paras which say a fair bit about Jaeger (from April 2022 article about Jai Newcombe's rise from obscurity, in case anyone wants to know where it came from)

"Newcombe didn’t only go from Poowong to Box Hill to Hawthorn, he went from Poowong to Toorak when he was drafted by the Hawks, moving in with poster boy O'Meara in the second half of last season. And it was there, under the same roof as the stand-in captain where he learnt some of the finer details about life in the AFL.

The first meal that Newcombe whipped up was a scalloped potato dish that was layered with cream. It went down a treat, but not without O'Meara suggesting that dish be removed from the repertoire, at least in-season. Newcombe took it on board and still smiles about the gentle reminder that he isn’t playing country footy anymore.

"I went from Poowong to Toorak; fair change of scenery. It was pretty cool to live with Jaeger. He's got a nice place and he eats well; he is a professional athlete that’s for sure, he doesn’t look the way he does for no reason," he said.

"To get the insight off him was great, how to prepare on game day and days leading in. He taught me there and then about the shoulds and shouldn'ts he's been massive in showing me the way. I can't thank him enough for what he was able to do for me at the start of the year."

Now that's mentoring.

Why do people say this? Do they thnk we paid Pick 3 for McCarthy?

We paid eq of Pick 71 (which wasn't used). So, we were given him for free.

View attachment 1536776

People say this because they want to be traumatised about Freo's previous trades, and alter facts about our history to reflect the narrative they want. There's a fascinating masochistic streak to a section of our fan base

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m still pinching myself over JOM, that kind of deal doesn’t usually happen to Freo.
Well the deal could potentially get even even better. We traded the Hawthorn 4th rounder that was part of the O'Meara deal for pick 43 from North in this years draft. That pick is going to move up a few places too with Brisbane likely to use 5 picks (trading in North's pick 40 in live trading is what's heavily rumoured) to match Ashcroft bid. Imagine if we nail that pick too.
O'Meara only has to get back to his 2021 level of play and he'll be one of the best recruits in Freo history.

Last edited:
Well the deal could potentially get even even better. We traded the Hawthorn 4th rounder that was part of the O'Meara deal for pick 43 from North in this years draft. That pick is going to move up a few places too with Brisbane likely to use 5 picks (trading in North's pick 40 in live trading is what's heavily rumoured) to match Ashcroft bid. Imagine if we nail that pick too.
O'Meara only has to get back to his 2021 level of play and he'll be one of the best recruits in Freo history.

Depends on whether GWS bid on Ashcroft. The talk is GWS will pick Cadman at 1 and then North will bid on Ashcroft. Brisbane have enough pts for their current picks 34,35,36,38 to match with change. Then once the bid has been matched will trade for pick 40 which will help them have sufficient points for Fletcher. Very likely that a pick in the top 30 will be used to match a bid on Davy. My guess with a couple of other bids are the following:
33, 42, 43

Therefore the trade involves
Lobb, Meek > 33, 42, JOM

Depends on whether GWS bid on Ashcroft. The talk is GWS will pick Cadman at 1 and then North will bid on Ashcroft. Brisbane have enough pts for their current picks 34,35,36,38 to match with change. Then once the bid has been matched will trade for pick 40 which will help them have sufficient points for Fletcher. Very likely that a pick in the top 30 will be used to match a bid on Davy. My guess with a couple of other bids are the following:
33, 42, 43

Therefore the trade involves
Lobb, Meek > 33, 42, JOM
Considering pick 42 would have been considered a fair trade for Meek if he was traded in a straight swap by most people I think it currently looks like we made out like bandits. In your scenario we traded Lobb for pick taken at 33 and O'Meara. Not a bad return for a player who one season earlier was considered by most to be worth a second round pick at best. We also look to have significantly improved our salary cap situation for the 2023 season by trading out Lobb and signing O'Meara but with Hawthorn paying a significant part of his 2023 salary.

Considering pick 42 would have been considered a fair trade for Meek if he was traded in a straight swap by most people I think it currently looks like we made out like bandits. In your scenario we traded Lobb for pick taken at 33 and O'Meara. Not a bad return for a player who one season earlier was considered by most to be worth a second round pick at best. We also look to have significantly improved our salary cap situation for the 2023 season by trading out Lobb and signing O'Meara but with Hawthorn paying a significant part of his 2023 salary.
Agreed. I didn’t have any issues with the trades.

2 mid second round picks for Lobb.
Meek > 42
JOM > F2nd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back