Player Watch Welcome James Blanck. Extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Hartigan was awful in the VFL on the weekend.

f575e98d4c92a2ecf1ea1f3c588ac8f0.png

Certainly has a leap.

Watched his game again, has ridiculous athleticism, and reads it well. Smooth mover to boot. hard to fathom him being in the VFL based on this sample size so far. Not like the dogs are lacking for key forwards who can mark it either. Was beaten for positioning:strength a couple of times. You can morw than forgive that though given the scoreline and who we were playing. Looking forward to seeing his Tom Lynch duel in a few weeks. He can match him in every physical aspect of the game at a guess (assuming Sic doesn’t take Lynch again).

Watched his game again, has ridiculous athleticism, and reads it well. Smooth mover to boot. hard to fathom him being in the VFL based on this sample size so far. Not like the dogs are lacking for key forwards who can mark it either. Was beaten for positioning:strength a couple of times. You can morw than forgive that though given the scoreline and who we were playing. Looking forward to seeing his Tom Lynch duel in a few weeks. He can match him in every physical aspect of the game at a guess (assuming Sic doesn’t take Lynch again).
I reckon Lynch probably has him for strength but Blanck would have him covered for speed (he is surprising quick for a guy his size).

It’s already been noted here but what I was most impressed with on Friday night was his composure and ball use, wasn’t expecting that at all!

I reckon Lynch probably has him for strength but Blanck would have him covered for speed (he is surprising quick for a guy his size).

It’s already been noted here but what I was most impressed with on Friday night was his composure and ball use, wasn’t expecting that at all!

Actually you are right, Lynch would definitely have the better core strength and stronger frame after so long in the AFL system.

Either way, best like for like match up we have had for Lynch since he came to the Tigers - though Sic did really well last time round in the one on ones in particular.

Last edited:

This was a good read, feel like it sums up what I saw on Friday. His speed is insane and all of his weaknesses should be overcome with a professional program.

Pretty crazy he struggled to make box hill team last year (spent more time out of side than in) and played afl last week.

Key backs (particular the lockdown types) and rucks seem to often come out of nowhere. Once they get the physicality/strength/athleticism required the improvement can be rapid.

Strikes me (admittedly from a very limited sample size) as the type of player who thrives on the high paced and competitive nature of senior football

Sometimes players come across that don't blow the VFL, SANFL, etc. apart; but take the step to AFL so naturally. Hopefully I'm right in saying that James is one of those players

On top of that, word from the club is that he is a stellar human being

Strikes me (admittedly from a very limited sample size) as the type of player who thrives on the high paced and competitive nature of senior football

Sometimes players come across that don't blow the VFL, SANFL, etc. apart; but take the step to AFL so naturally. Hopefully I'm right in saying that James is one of those players

He's been very good at VFL level all year, wasn't surprised to see him do well.

Pretty crazy he struggled to make box hill team last year (spent more time out of side than in) and played afl last week.

Key backs (particular the lockdown types) and rucks seem to often come out of nowhere. Once they get the physicality/strength/athleticism required the improvement can be rapid.
Well Smith went from Redan to the VFL to being drafted in the top 20 at the end of the year. Never heard of something like that for a tall unless there was some growth spurt, improvement is mostly gradual but it's all relative, because once they do start having a bigger impact it's important for a team.

I'm huge on this concept and people can be so dismissive of it.

Happens in all sports. Cricket a great example. Marcus Stoinis and Marnus Labashagne weren't necessarily ripping the door off the hinges at domestic level despite being promising cricketers.

If you are an overthinker as a personality type it can be more difficult playing second level sport. You over analyse your own performance often to your detriment. Plus the higher skill level at the next step lends itself to predicting general play.

Not saying Blanck is that type, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incredibly hard to judge players outside of the midfield on VFL form, there are so many positions in AFL where you depend on the quality of your team mates to be involved - or you're in positions where you don't have the remit to involve yourself more.

The VFL has worse grounds, worse conditions and lower quality players. Look at a guy like Fritsch, great production in the AFL but if he was never picked up he wouldn't be doing any better in the VFL. Feel like AFL teams leave a lot on the table when it comes to recruitment from the state leagues.

Looks a very competitive bugger.

Did get outbodied too easily a few times, but I kept my eyes on him every time he lost a contest and he was absolutly filthy with himself, punching the ground, etc. The smarts will come, but like the passion. Hope he plays every game for the rest of the year

Not a one trick pony. Highly reliable as a stopper but also looks very composed with the ball in hand, prepared to take things on himself and not just a predictable sideways handball out to someone else. Looks like a 10+ year player and not just a stop gap solution.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back