Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Dropped or second ruck, forward pocket?
Dixon will play like he has and stay in if he's kicking goals but I think part of why the forward line is drab is because of how he plays & he becomes a beacon for crap entries. I wouldn't be surprised if they want a look at a Marshall, Georgie, Finlayson forward line without him if his form is average, at some point it's going to happen.

Last edited:
May 8, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What is there in Marshall's skill set to suggest he could be a capable KPD? I don't see it. People want to compare him to Westhoff but even the Hoff had more size and was a far more reliable mark overhead compared to Todd. I wouldn’t be trying to convert him to a defender just to get him into our team.

Our back line doesn't need a KPD who is a lanky bean pole. It needs a hulk - similar size to guys like Harris Andrews and Steven May.

What we have down there doesn't need a lot of tinkering at this point. AA is an elite CHB. Jonas is extremely versatile and plays above his size. McKenzie is one of the better fullbacks in the competition. Burton has become an extremely reliable player who can play on lanky talls and medium sized flankers.

Where our defence needs to improve most imo is having a small defender who can line up 1 on 1 against an oppo's best small to medium sized forward and shut them down. DBJ isn't that player though they've given him that role. Houston is too slow. Bonner's 1 on 1 defence is underrated but I wouldnt be putting him on a guy like Dusty Martin. The guy I see stepping into that role is Lachie Jones. He has the potential to have an enormous impact from round 1 next season.

Appreciate the reply as I'm interested in a healthy discussion.
On the limited occasions that Todd Marshall has drifted back, for mine he has shown that he can read the play and take a mark. He's never been given the responsibility of playing as a lock down defender because Hinkley rarely experiments much to the teams detrement.
There were many reasons behind the Preliminary Final capitulation but what was noticeable was the use of Josh Schache in negating the impact of Allir Allir which exposed just how ordinary are defence is 1:1 especially in a 6:6:6 scenario. Every club in the league will try and exploit a similar tactic if needed come 2022 to negate Allir Allir.
In my opinion Jonas is slow and will likely decline in speed further so we're then left with McKenzie and Clurey who aren't tall either and give away height.
Yes in an ideal world we would like to have a Harris Andrews or Steven May but we don't have that player on our list.
Todd Marshall will need to bulk up but he's 198 cm's and for mine is the best option to trial back there now that we've drafted Finlayson.
What have we got to lose, any structural, tactical advantage and or club pride was badly exposed in the Preliminary Final.
Chad Cornes was once a skinny utility at 192cms that found his best spot at CHB once he put on some bulk.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Appreciate the reply as I'm interested in a healthy discussion.
On the limited occasions that Todd Marshall has drifted back, for mine he has shown that he can read the play and take a mark. He's never been given the responsibility of playing as a lock down defender because Hinkley rarely experiments much to the teams detrement.
There were many reasons behind the Preliminary Final capitulation but what was noticeable was the use of Josh Schache in negating the impact of Allir Allir which exposed just how ordinary are defence is 1:1 especially in a 6:6:6 scenario. Every club in the league will try and exploit a similar tactic if needed come 2022 to negate Allir Allir.
In my opinion Jonas is slow and will likely decline in speed further so we're then left with McKenzie and Clurey who aren't tall either and give away height.
Yes in an ideal world we would like to have a Harris Andrews or Steven May but we don't have that player on our list.
Todd Marshall will need to bulk up but he's 198 cm's and for mine is the best option to trial back there now that we've drafted Finlayson.
What have we got to lose, any structural, tactical advantage and or club pride was badly exposed in the Preliminary Final.
Chad Cornes was once a skinny utility at 192cms that found his best spot at CHB once he put on some bulk.

I disagree that the 666 rule has exposed Aliir. When the ball is coming in quick because of midfield dominance by the opponent, it isn't going to matter what defensive setups you have - you'll get exposed big time. The key is always going to be winning the midfield battle.

In terms of defensive personnel, I agree with you that Jonas is getting slower. He used to be able to go on anyone in the forward line. Nowadays, he's best suited to the medium sized forwards but he is still strong enough that he can play above his size and take a true KPF to keep AA from having to take them.

Imo though, whilst Marshall has nice height, he is still a lanky beanpole who lacks serious functional strength. It's not as if he's this skinny 18 year old either. He's 23 on Friday - what he is now is very close to what he will be size wise. But what KPF could Marshall realistically line up on and expect him to hold up in a physical contest? Assuming you're playing 3 KPD, you know AA and Jonas are essentially guaranteed a game. Which means the 3rd KPD you'd need is for the traditional full back - a guy who can handle going on any of Tom Lynch, Jack Riewoldt, Tom Hawkins, Josh Kennedy etc. He would get thrown around my these players like a rag doll. Wouldn't even be a fair fight.

If you were to play Marshall back, he'd be better off as a flanker similar to what they tried with Jack Watts in 2019 before his injury. But I'm not giving him a game in that position ahead of Burton or Jonas.

At this stage I've long thought that the idea of Marshall is far greater than what he is as a player. Came with high fanfare given his draft position, but he hasn't bulked up to be the true KPF we thought he'd be, and he hasn't shown a hell of a lot to suggest he can be a real A-Grade #2 KPF. Take a guy like Georgiades for instance - he's 3 years younger than Marshall but already way past him in terms of his development as a forward - and that's despite limited game time last year due to covid. Marshall's best ability is his field kicking, but you'd want him getting a lot more than 10 touches a game if you're keeping in the side solely due to his field kicking.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying him as a back in the Magpies just to see if something is there - but no way in hell would I be penciling him in as a KPD in our best side for round 1 next year.

elbarton

All Australian
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We can make it work: Ladhams to full back, Finlayson to first ruck, Scott Lycett promoted to assistant coach

jakey

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
I imagine it's already been posted, but who CBF trawling through every post this offseason. Below article worth a read. Can see list management logic in recruiting Finlayson as a KPD / utility who could swing forward.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Instantly becomes our best set shot at goal amongst our tall forwards. He is very very good snapping around the corner as well.
Beautiful leg on him.
Mitch Georgiades says hi
Marshall says hold my shandy.

Surebuddy is right. Best by a fair way from a career perspective (57.5%) but second best from a 2021 perspective (57.5%) compared to our other key forwards, Dixon's accuracy was 60%, and Jeremy just pips Marshall this year who had 57.1%.

Admittedly he is older than Mitch and Todd so they may improve. Jeremy will probably hold steady. Still I am all for getting forwards who make the most of their opportunities.

Finlayson is a good get for what he cost, and as has been pointed out he can play at both ends. :thumbsu:

Also rucked in 7.6 contests a game (3 less than Dixon) with reasonable effectiveness. Could probably do a reasonable amount more if required.

He wasn't a big success as a defender although it was 3 years since he was played consistently in that position so at the very least has a more mature frame and quite a bit more football experience now. I hope he get some preseason training and gametime as a defender just to see how he goes there. Doesn't seem like that is in Ken's plans for him though.

I think we're setting ourselves up to be disappointed if we think this.

At 25 and 60 odd games I doubt there's much room for development. I think the best we can hope for is that his floor/consistency lifts a little as part of a new forward line - however the elephant in that room is our complete inability to get anything substantial out of our forwards (apart from Dixon 2020)

If he can find a way to keep his goalkicking and goal assist averages where they are we have a 41 goal a year KPF who will dish out an additional 14 goals. He can also shoulder some ruck duties and there is some chance he could play in defence. Assuming he plays and doesn't improve. I don't see the disappointment there.

Nonetheless I can think of two Port KPF's that were traded in who measurably improved after the age of 25. He has only played 51 games as a forward, less than Marshall. Hell, we wouldn't have a full back, an AA CHB or a Brownlow medalist if players couldn't markedly improve after the age of 25.

I understand that we shouldn't place unrealistic expectations on him, but neither should we too severely discount what he might do in the next several years either..

Last edited:
I imagine it's already been posted, but who CBF trawling through every post this offseason. Below article worth a read. Can see list management logic in recruiting Finlayson as a KPD / utility who could swing forward.

I thought he’d be a key back, but Finlayson met with Hinkley and apparently he’ll be a fwd/ruck.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I am not saying he can’t kick goals, but his goal kicking has not improved significantly and it is worth trying him down back, as we are significantly shorter down back. IMO he has significant potential as a Westhoff type player. Port can’t get rid of Ken, so surely it is worth trying something different?

Actually it did improve significantly this season. His accuracy was 57.1% this year. Prior to that his accuracy was just over 50%.

How the * is that headline even a question?

ploppy

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Look ive never seen Finlayson play and I know nothing about him..but from the 30 second highlight package i saw of him.. I pretty confident he will become the next incarnation of wayne carey\tony locket\tim evans and kick a ton for us next year.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Look ive never seen Finlayson play and I know nothing about him..but from the 30 second highlight package i saw of him.. I pretty confident he will become the next incarnation of wayne carey\tony locket\tim evans and kick a ton for us next year.
At last, someone who has done their homework 🤣

Last edited:

OnlyPowerForever

Cancelled
Mar 22, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Would be funny to watch him square up to all of Kellie Stevens / Peter Caven / Craig AND Neil Balme.

Back