List Mgmt. Welcome Joe Furphy

Remove this Banner Ad

David Loatts says hi.

David Loats was an ordinary footballer but he did play AFL football.
Paul Tsapatolis wasn’t even VFL standard and was that bad we had to get special dispensation to send him to the U18 comp to learn the game.
Nothing against Paul, but he is easily the most limited footballer to be listed by Geelong.

Not so sure on a 24yo project player but he looks like he could knock over 2 dozen sausages in a sitting so welcome, you never know.
He was very skinny as a basketball player. Looks like has enjoyed his year off…hopefully that is easily addressable if he has the desire.

I did love in his interview how he said that being tall is one thing but being tall and coordinated is his strength!! 😳.

He was very skinny as a basketball player. Looks like has enjoyed his year off…hopefully that is easily addressable if he has the desire.

I did love in his interview how he said that being tall is one thing but being tall and coordinated is his strength!! 😳.
Thats a pretty good flex after watching McKay bumble his way into an open goal and then kick a point.

Not so sure on a 24yo project player but he looks like he could knock over 2 dozen sausages in a sitting so welcome, you never know.
You mean like this?

IMG_2569.jpeg

In all seriousness, am I missing something? He looks plenty fit enough to me, particularly for a bloke who hasn't been in an elite environment for 12 months.

He'll have an AFL body by December, nothing to worry about. It's not a McGovern/Mumford scenario where they're starting from a really low base.

If you saw him walking down the street you'd think he's in pretty good nick. That's more than enough at this stage. We're 7 months away from round 1.

David Loats was an ordinary footballer but he did play AFL football.
Paul Tsapatolis wasn’t even VFL standard and was that bad we had to get special dispensation to send him to the U18 comp to learn the game.
Nothing against Paul, but he is easily the most limited footballer to be listed by Geelong.
Loats came from Hawks with a known knee injury, and barely played a single game for us. But he was POOR in that game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expect he will have the full athletic body. Last Cat B basketballer we chose was very solid and lacked mobility
Paul. Tsapatolis . Goodish at clearances had a crack but not so good around the ground.

Geelong and signing a random ruckman , name a more iconic duo. Orren Stephenson, Padraig Lucy, Paul T, Joe Furphy.

I’d say more clubs than just us do this but because they’re usually very obscure and often done outside of drafting or trading we simply never hear about it.

Because of the physical demands of the role (ie. first and foremost, just being tall as f***) I think most if not all clubs would have a giant who has come from left field joining their ranks every few years just because of his height.

This is photo of Joe. By the way number 22 is Ollie Dempsey’s older brother (different body shape!)

View attachment 1802339
If you'd posed the question 'Which current Cats player is the brother of #22 in this picture?', I think I might have got to Dempsey after 20 or so guesses.

:oops:

I’d say more clubs than just us do this but because they’re usually very obscure and often done outside of drafting or trading we simply never hear about it.

Because of the physical demands of the role (ie. first and foremost, just being tall as f***) I think most if not all clubs would have a giant who has come from left field joining their ranks every few years just because of his height.
Spot on, if you look at every club's list, they're super common.

You've got your main ruck (In our case, Stanley) the young gun who's heir apparent (Conway) & the project (Furphy). That's the usual setup at most clubs.

In terms of position, it's very similar to the offensive line in the NFL or playing as a prop/second rower in the NRL.

You obviously need talent to make it, but they're positions that are largely dependent on size. If you're a massive human you're halfway there, and you'll get picked up as a project if you go down that path.

They're some of the few positions in football codes where the priority is size, and we'll sharpen the skills up later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back