List Mgmt. Welcome Jordan Clark

Remove this Banner Ad

I happened to be going through the Geelong forum, Jordan Clark has the reputation of an 'empty' metres gained king. Anyone got any ideas what they mean by that.

I happened to be going through the Geelong forum, Jordan Clark has the reputation of an 'empty' metres gained king. Anyone got any ideas what they mean by that.
I think it means the metres he gains doesn’t amount to much in terms of impact on the game

I can see their point but in the end Geelong played a kicking keeping off game and setting up behind the ball.

So Clark breaking the lines and bombing it forward created the "empty" metres gained.

With us, he is making the lines and sometimes kicking it long to the opposite. Alot of times he just needs to give off a handball and start a chain of handballs.

Not the case for us, hes been damaging enough for GWS to stick DeBoer on him

This thread on the third page?

What has my boy, Clark, got to do to get some love on here?
Good bump, he has embraced what the club is trying to do & hasn’t put a foot wrong off the field & building nicely on. Additionally love the way he has jumped in & defended teammates a couple of times when they were wronged.

Added to our improved culture reputation.

Has come in and instantly booted Wilson off the team, Wilson is playing well at WAFL too so he is obviously playing well enough to keep him out.

Clark has barely put a foot wrong since coming over, looks to be a 10 year players, good pick up.

Not as fussed with losing the 2x f3s as I reckon our player turnover won't be very high this year anyway now, basically only cost us the 27 (22 after upgrades f3) if we pick a first and then go with NGA's, thats a win in my book

I think some (myself included) thought Clark would come in and be the shiny new toy, creating our best highlights by taking handballs on the run off half-back and bombing goals from 50.

The reality is so much better than that.

Our team, as a whole, has lifted to the point where Clark is delivering everything that can be asked of him and he doesn't stand out each game.

Supporters of struggling teams are so conditioned to look for something flashy to take attention away from the woes of the club as a whole. We've managed to move past that faster than could have reasonably been expected and now Clark, who is having an excellent season by almost every metric, is the rule rather than the exception.

TL;DR I think Clark hasn't got the love he deserves because we thought he'd be one of the main highlights of this season.

You see him growing with each game, love how he attacks, moves forward and looks to pick out options too. Doesn't mind a goal - 3 defenders kicked goals last Friday and he was one of them! I like that he has a bit of biff about him - gets stuck into oppo players when they transgress on one of our players....I really like that. The team unity is so high right now off the back of good trades like Brodie and Clark and the draftees, whilst the Eagles crumble and s**t in their own nest....it's just great

It means he doesn't play for them anymore so they have to convince themselves that he isn't actually very good, and them not giving him games was some masterful list management manoeuvre rather than a monumental * up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like watching flawed players which is what I see Clark, Brodie, Schultz, Taberner, Acres and others as. I enjoy the personal challenge they have to address, and I like seeing how coaches handle them.

Dew throwing Brodie into the dumpster compared to Longmuir persisting with Acres is informative I reckon.

A player like Darcy could have fallen by the wayside if he wasn't in a positive environment. One that pushed his fitness and said "we'd like you to meet Aaron Sandilands." because we want you to be as good as him.

I like watching flawed players which is what I see Clark, Brodie, Schultz, Taberner, Acres and others as. I enjoy the personal challenge they have to address, and I like seeing how coaches handle them.

Dew throwing Brodie into the dumpster compared to Longmuir persisting with Acres is informative I reckon.

A player like Darcy could have fallen by the wayside if he wasn't in a positive environment. One that pushed his fitness and said "we'd like you to meet Aaron Sandilands." because we want you to be as good as him.
I reckon it would take at least half a dozen games to fit into the new team's template and feel at ease or comfortable you're a part of the 22. Clark was used to being in & out - now he gets a consistent run at it almost a dozen games in, he's showing why at the level, he's more than capable. Sure, he can be a bit kamikaze and prone to a clang here and there - so is Young, but you can see confidence building in each game where they back themselves in and take the game on.

Besides, who wants to be perfect..?! If you were, they'd be nothing else left to do

Agreed.

His ability to defend one on one, was better than I thought.

I'd still like to see him use his run more and create havoc when intercept marking or when getting possession in broken play.

Great pickup and first year of performance, its a shame his worst game was the last one but that'll be fuel over summer and was an outlier for sure.

I admit I was wrong about this one. My view was the last thing we needed was another halfback and when I heard he was keen on and promised that HB spot I thought it was a questionable move to spend that draft capital on. I was happy with him to come and play wing but thought him playing HB was superfluous. But he was a sizable upgrade.

Yes a fine one.

The only negative for me is he has consigned Wilson to an early retirement/depth. But perhaps if Acres goes Wilson comes in with Chapman to the wing.
I really want to see more of them together. Clarke's best games were when he played alongside willo

I admit I was wrong about this one. My view was the last thing we needed was another halfback and when I heard he was keen on and promised that HB spot I thought it was a questionable move to spend that draft capital on. I was happy with him to come and play wing but thought him playing HB was superfluous. But he was a sizable upgrade.
Same.

It mirrors my thoughts on Jackson with us already stocked with Darcy and Meek.

Hopefully they repeat the outcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back