greatgatsby

Premiership Player
Oct 17, 2010
The Seat of Power
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Washington Commanders, Black Ducks
If I was a Geelong fan I'd be worried the club's culture is falling apart. I would be disappointed if Bell or anyone at Fremantle said that publicly about a young player traded for more opportunity. Unprofessional and reeks of arrogance, to which they're not entitled having not won a flag for 10 years.

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Just what does Geelong gain by him saying this?

For your sake, I hope Clark takes it personally and improves his game, he's a seriously talented player.

That comment though (sensationalist headlines aside) had very little to do with Clark and was a direct message to the young blokes still on Geelong's list.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
For your sake, I hope Clark takes it personally and improves his game, he's a seriously talented player.

That comment though (sensationalist headlines aside) had very little to do with Clark and was a direct message to the young blokes still on Geelong's list.
Personally I am not a fan of direct messages being delivered via the media.

As a young player I also wouldn't be finding it encouraging that the club recognises that playing at the highest levels is a critical development pathway.

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Personally I am not a fan of direct messages being delivered via the media.

As a young player I also wouldn't be finding it encouraging that the club recognises that playing at the highest levels is a critical development pathway.

I'm of the belief you defend publicly and challenge privately when it comes to players, but every campaigner seems to need to get their head in the media and answer questions.

We differ on your next sentence though. I think young players would find it encouraging the club recognises that playing at the highest level is a critical development pathway.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I'm of the belief you defend publicly and challenge privately when it comes to players, but every campaigner seems to need to get their head in the media and answer questions.

We differ on your next sentence though. I think young players would find it encouraging the club recognises that playing at the highest level is a critical development pathway.
There seems little doubt that Clark is leaving in part due to lack of opportunity.

Geelong brought in Smith who immediately reduced the opportunities available to Clark to virtually zero in that position. Bringing in Smith as anything but best 22 would never happen.

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
There seems little doubt that Clark is leaving in part due to lack of opportunity.

Geelong brought in Smith who immediately reduced the opportunities available to Clark to virtually zero in that position. Bringing in Smith as anything but best 22 would never happen.

He did play the first 7 games along with Smith but couldn't keep his spot.

I think Geelong are far more at fault than Clark for his lack of development, but it's not for bringing in Smith. He should have been developed in the spot currently occupied by Atkins. He's the type of player who can make sides better with his strengths, but worse with his weaknesses (AKA every player). We should have persevered with him across half back and allowed the experienced defenders we have to protect his shortcomings while he developed. Instead Geelong went with low ceiling higher floor blokes like Zac Guthrie and Tom Atkins, or outright mistakes like Jack Steven and Shaun Higgins.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Geelong Cats chief executive Steve Hocking fires parting shot at new Fremantle Dockers recruit Jordan Clark
Samantha RogersThe West Australian
Tue, 26 October 2021 9:21AM

Jordan Clark.
Jordan Clark. Credit: Quinn Rooney/via AFL Photos

Geelong chief executive Steve Hocking has fired a brutal parting shot at ex-Cat Jordan Clark, who was traded to Fremantle after a lack of opportunity at his former club.
Clark landed at the Dockers in exchange for pick 22 and a future third-round selection, along with a future fourth-round pick in this year’s trade period.
The Albany junior, who was selected at pick 15 in the 2018 draft, played 32 games for Geelong (including 11 this season) but did not feature as the Cats looked to experience over youth in their failed finals campaign.
Chris Scott’s side were thrashed but a Melbourne team brimming with young talent in the preliminary final at Optus Stadium - including WA’s Luke Jackson, Trent Rivers and Kysaiah Pickett.
Jordan Clark.
Jordan Clark. Credit: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos
Defender Jake Bowey also got the nod ahead veteran players in the Demons’ grand final side in what was just his seventh AFL game.
Hocking said the premiers were a good example of how clubs can find a good mix between youth and experience, but denied Geelong’s younger players had warranted the same treatment - including Clark.
“I look at Melbourne, and someone like (Demons veterans) Nathan Jones or Jake Melksham,” he told Sportsday.
“They were pushed out of the team because young players were given an opportunity and they performed at the level they’re capable of.”
Asked if Clark, 21, was a “victim” of Geelong’s preference to field older players in pursuit of immediate success, Hocking gave a scathing assessment of the former Cat.
Geelong CEO Steve Hocking.
Geelong CEO Steve Hocking. Credit: Michael Willson/AFL Photos
“For our players, our younger players... you’ve got to do the work,” he said.
“If you do get an opportunity, you need to grab it with both hands and push past some of those experienced players.
“I think Melbourne have proven that, and they’re a great example of that.
“That’s the comment I would make around Jordan Clark.”
The Dockers recruit said he had “no hard feelings” towards his former club after joining Fremantle.

Yep, Melbourne really showed that. Harrison Petty says 'Hi'.

Speaking of petty, such a petty comment by Hocking. No need really if it really is Clarks fault.

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

How people speak about former employees and employers is a good indication of character in my experiences.

Things always go down in a workplace but the need to snipe after the fact to prove you were right serves almost zero benefit and is usually all about ego.

greatgatsby

Premiership Player
Oct 17, 2010
The Seat of Power
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Washington Commanders, Black Ducks
How people speak about former employees and employers is a good indication of character in my experiences.

Things always go down in a workplace but the need to snipe after the fact to prove you were right serves almost zero benefit and is usually all about ego.

Exactly. In professional environments, it's invariably poor managers and leaders who do it.

Jan 5, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Loose lips sink ships.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
SHocking is a sad sack that has never gotten over that peculiar inadequacy older brothers feel when their younger brother is a better player than they were. He's still taking it out on young players like Clark thirty years later. You could write him up as a case study if you were a psychologist

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
SHocking is a sad sack that has never gotten over that peculiar inadequacy older brothers feel when their younger brother is a better player than they were. He's still taking it out on young players like Clark thirty years later. You could write him up as a case study if you were a psychologist
I don't remember Steve Hocking playing at all, but AFL tables is telling me he played 199 games, finishing up in 1994 including the GF (I.E. I must have watched games he played in at least 10 times). Totally unmemorable.

Tell me about your mother Steve..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
He did play the first 7 games along with Smith but couldn't keep his spot.

I think Geelong are far more at fault than Clark for his lack of development, but it's not for bringing in Smith. He should have been developed in the spot currently occupied by Atkins. He's the type of player who can make sides better with his strengths, but worse with his weaknesses (AKA every player). We should have persevered with him across half back and allowed the experienced defenders we have to protect his shortcomings while he developed. Instead Geelong wen with low ceiling higher floor blokes like Zac Guthrie and Tom Atkins, or outright mistakes like Jack Steven and Shaun Higgins.
Just a view not trolling because you are making good points.

Do you think Cook would have said that about Clark?

Cook was all class and had a big impact on the great culture of Geelong.

Hocking would worry me because of his lack of class. Behind closed doors say what you like but to say in public what he said lacks good manners.

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Just a view not trolling because you are making good points.

Do you think Cook would have said that about Clark?

Cook was all class and had a big impact on the great culture of Geelong.

Hocking would worry me because of his lack of class. Behind closed doors say what you like but to say in public what he said lacks good manners.

Probably not, Steve’s sat down with the Age, Herald Sun and 3AW which to my memory is far more than we ever heard from Cook.

I’ve had a listen to Hocking’s comment on 3AW, and that article has massively overblown the comment.

7:50 for those interested.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Geelong Cats chief executive Steve Hocking fires parting shot at new Fremantle Dockers recruit Jordan Clark
Samantha RogersThe West Australian
Tue, 26 October 2021 9:21AM

Jordan Clark.
Jordan Clark. Credit: Quinn Rooney/via AFL Photos

Geelong chief executive Steve Hocking has fired a brutal parting shot at ex-Cat Jordan Clark, who was traded to Fremantle after a lack of opportunity at his former club.
Clark landed at the Dockers in exchange for pick 22 and a future third-round selection, along with a future fourth-round pick in this year’s trade period.
The Albany junior, who was selected at pick 15 in the 2018 draft, played 32 games for Geelong (including 11 this season) but did not feature as the Cats looked to experience over youth in their failed finals campaign.
Chris Scott’s side were thrashed but a Melbourne team brimming with young talent in the preliminary final at Optus Stadium - including WA’s Luke Jackson, Trent Rivers and Kysaiah Pickett.
Jordan Clark.
Jordan Clark. Credit: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos
Defender Jake Bowey also got the nod ahead veteran players in the Demons’ grand final side in what was just his seventh AFL game.
Hocking said the premiers were a good example of how clubs can find a good mix between youth and experience, but denied Geelong’s younger players had warranted the same treatment - including Clark.
“I look at Melbourne, and someone like (Demons veterans) Nathan Jones or Jake Melksham,” he told Sportsday.
“They were pushed out of the team because young players were given an opportunity and they performed at the level they’re capable of.”
Asked if Clark, 21, was a “victim” of Geelong’s preference to field older players in pursuit of immediate success, Hocking gave a scathing assessment of the former Cat.
Geelong CEO Steve Hocking.
Geelong CEO Steve Hocking. Credit: Michael Willson/AFL Photos
“For our players, our younger players... you’ve got to do the work,” he said.
“If you do get an opportunity, you need to grab it with both hands and push past some of those experienced players.
“I think Melbourne have proven that, and they’re a great example of that.
“That’s the comment I would make around Jordan Clark.”
The Dockers recruit said he had “no hard feelings” towards his former club after joining Fremantle.
There's a point in your career you look back on and realise that at that time, you'd burned out. Feeling the pressure for so long had taken its toll and almost by reflex you lash out in defence even if there was no one attacking you.

I've seen it so many times I know immediately when I see it now. My first reaction is concern. As the pressure builds, something inevitably gives.

For Steve Hocking's sake, I hope someone is comfortable enough to take him aside and offer some support first, and advice second - advice that should be 'it's time for you to take a holiday.
Probably not, Steve’s sat down with the Age, Herald Sun and 3AW which to my memory is far more than we ever heard from Cook.

I’ve had a listen to Hocking’s comment on 3AW, and that article has massively overblown the comment.

Steve Hocking is hopelessly out of his depth.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
There's a point in your career you look back on and realise that at that time, you'd burned out. Feeling the pressure for so long had taken its toll and almost by reflex you lash out in defence even if there was no one attaching you.

I've seen it so many times I know immediately when I see it now. My first reaction is concern. As the pressure builds, something inevitably gives.

For Steve Hocking's sake, I hope someone is comfortable enough to take him aside and offer some support first, and advice second - advice that should be 'it's time for you to take a holiday.

Steve Hocking is hopelessly out of his depth.

This is the sort of reasoned response I was hoping for.

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
If I was a Geelong fan I'd be worried the club's culture is falling apart. I would be disappointed if Bell or anyone at Fremantle said that publicly about a young player traded for more opportunity.

This. Geelong gain nothing by saying this publicly. These comments chip away at a professional and supportive culture. Now the young kids have to watch their back. Yes, it will motivate some to work harder but some will retreat into their shells and play scared. As a long time educator, this is not the way to get buy in from people. Maybe “back in the day” but kids have changed. This macho, stick a rocket up their ass by publicly challenging them doesn’t work for most. When Bell hired JL he uses the word culture a lot. Our culture is most definitely changing for the better. Players want to play here. We are treating them with respect (Belly could have easily said similar things about Hogan out the door). Players/students who see you care and are treated with respect will work harder. You will get more out of them. Hocking still has an old school mentality. Freo is doing it right.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is anyone really surprised by his comments? Wasn’t this the general assumption coming out about Clark?

You don’t pick up a player with Clark’s ability for what we paid for him without some sort of issue. He’s only 21 & now with the guidance of some good young players at our club in Brayshaw & Serong, who won’t take any s**t along with the ‘old man’ who will kick his ass as well, I think the risk will pay off.

benfica

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2011
woodgreen
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
tottenham

He was still talking bad about Clark buT he did it in a way that didn't make him sound bitter,When he really is and yes the headline is a bit sensationalised

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
He was still talking bad about Clark buT he did it in a way that didn't make him sound bitter,When he really is and yes the headline is a bit sensationalised

I don't think he's bitter at all. He has no context for Jordan's Clark situation as he wasn't there, so he made it a commentary on young players in general when asked the specific question.

The article is clickbait and has sucked a few in (including myself), but I'd suggest not listening to the audio and keeping Steve Hocking in your mind as the boorish and unprofessional CEO taking cheap shots at departing players. I think that'll make both Jordan Clark successes and Geelong's failures even more enjoyable.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
This. Geelong gain nothing by saying this publicly. These comments chip away at a professional and supportive culture. Now the young kids have to watch their back. Yes, it will motivate some to work harder but some will retreat into their shells and play scared. As a long time educator, this is not the way to get buy in from people. Maybe “back in the day” but kids have changed. This macho, stick a rocket up their ass by publicly challenging them doesn’t work for most. When Bell hired JL he uses the word culture a lot. Our culture is most definitely changing for the better. Players want to play here. We are treating them with respect (Belly could have easily said similar things about Hogan out the door). Players/students who see you care and are treated with respect will work harder. You will get more out of them. Hocking still has an old school mentality. Freo is doing it right.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I agree with everything you say, but the comment "Players want to play here" is speculative in my opinion. Until we are giving finals a regular nudge we are a long way from being any kind of destination. And in the wake of Cerra leaving and Lobb flip flopping I don't see it.

Clark and Brodie are nice inclusions and I am optimistic but uncertain.

My hopes are that the Club's development of draftees keeps improving. The off field changes are positives, and the on field leadership is strong. But losing top players for draft picks is not sustainable.

Vintage

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just what does Geelong gain by him saying this?
He’s talking to the members - trying to make them feel that they’re clearing out the players that arent worthy of being at the club, and that its not that they’re just sticking with the oldies, the youngsters will absolutely get opportunities at new Geelong :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back