List Mgmt. Welcome Jordan Clark

Remove this Banner Ad

Shocking forgot to add "if Scarlett doesn't like you personally you don't get a game, he will literally bench you for years so all young players must kiss Scarlett's ass if you want to get a game".

I agree with everything you say, but the comment "Players want to play here" is speculative in my opinion. Until we are giving finals a regular nudge we are a long way from being any kind of destination. And in the wake of Cerra leaving and Lobb flip flopping I don't see it.

Clark and Brodie are nice inclusions and I am optimistic but uncertain.

My hopes are that the Club's development of draftees keeps improving. The off field changes are positives, and the on field leadership is strong. But losing top players for draft picks is not sustainable.

I don’t disagree with you that we aren’t a “destination club” (which doesn’t really have a concrete definition anyway). But reading between the lines (ie. speculating) of what players say, they are looking towards the future. And not just next season future. Longer term future as in 2-3 years down the road. You don’t hear that often and we definitely did not hear much of that from 2016-2019. I don’t think (ie. I’m speculating again) players say that if they don’t see a plan in place or a team on the rise. And you wouldn’t think they would say those things if they didn’t enjoy playing there. My point is that these little things help contribute positively to building a solid culture.

Also, I agree that losing top players is not sustainable, but the only top end talent we've lost in the last 3 years is Cerra. Our core of Darcy, Serong, Brayshaw, and many others have signed extensions. I don't think there are too many more "flight risks" on the team right now. I'm not ready to worry about losing one player when so many more are staying. Now we just need to make finals to show that the plan is working.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Steve Hocking making very helpful comments for us directly about Clark this morning on radio.

"Younger players, have to do the work. If you do get an opportunity, you need to grab it with both hands and push past some of those experienced players."

Geelong clearly had concerns in this area - now its over to Jordan - to do the work.

Might just be me, but if I'm an incoming club CEO and you've got a high number of players under 25 fleeing the building because they're supposedly "not doing the work", I might be considering asking some questions of the senior coach?

Might just be me, but if I'm an incoming club CEO and you've got a high number of players under 25 fleeing the building because they're supposedly "not doing the work", I might be considering asking some questions of the senior coach?
Hell yeah. It would have been challenging with covid but that applies to every club. The Geelong issue is that their strategy is all about now.

Will be interesting to see how they play this draft with quite a few picks. They will be hot for Alleer and Knevitt as ready to play options.

Shocking forgot to add "if Scarlett doesn't like you personally you don't get a game, he will literally bench you for years so all young players must kiss Scarlett's ass if you want to get a game".

Scarlett is well known as a prick. Its kind of amazing Geelong put him on the coaching staff.

Scarlett is well known as a prick. Its kind of amazing Geelong put him on the coaching staff.
Agree. If the stories are correct re Scarlett and Clark, I think Scott is the person who needs to be looked at. Not just appointing Scarlett, but the club needs to be accountable for the development of all players.

This. Geelong gain nothing by saying this publicly. These comments chip away at a professional and supportive culture. Now the young kids have to watch their back. Yes, it will motivate some to work harder but some will retreat into their shells and play scared. As a long time educator, this is not the way to get buy in from people. Maybe “back in the day” but kids have changed. This macho, stick a rocket up their ass by publicly challenging them doesn’t work for most. When Bell hired JL he uses the word culture a lot. Our culture is most definitely changing for the better. Players want to play here. We are treating them with respect (Belly could have easily said similar things about Hogan out the door). Players/students who see you care and are treated with respect will work harder. You will get more out of them. Hocking still has an old school mentality. Freo is doing it right.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Couldn't say it better myself... and I write copy for a living.

Comments like this are what make a young player reconsider their "I'm happy to play anywhere optimism".

Culture is as culture does.

Hopefully Shocking will do as much damage at Kardinya Park that he did at the AFL.
good point re Scott. He has been pulling the wool over people eyes for a long time now. Recruiting players to finish in the top eight , but not win a flag.In other words, keeping himself in a job.

Agree. If the stories are correct re Scarlett and Clark, I think Scott is the person who needs to be looked at. Not just appointing Scarlett, but the club needs to be accountable for the development of all players.

so interesting how he’s just been punted from the Cats, literally landed nowhere in the AFL system. All time fullback premiership player, smacks Ballas then bam…. Just walked off into the darkness. So Geelong and Scott. Nothing to see here …. Darlings of Victoria “we don’t do midtable blah blah” let’s be clear this Selwood, Hawkins , Dangerfield Crew has now put this club on a precipice of a decade of mediocrity and meaning 2031 may be the soonest to a premiership it will get. 20 years since their last flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“We are going to give him an opportunity down back, we think he can be a really good half back for us and it’s where he played a lot of his junior footy.

“His run and carry and kicking off half back is something that can really help us set up some play from down there." - JLo

“We are going to give him an opportunity down back, we think he can be a really good half back for us and it’s where he played a lot of his junior footy.

“His run and carry and kicking off half back is something that can really help us set up some play from down there." - JLo

Hmm, so who will possess the coveted wing positions? :think:

I'm guessing Tucker and Aish will have it now with Young, Western, Henry, Fredrick and perhaps either Wilson or Hamling given a shot to take the spot. Oh, and either Johnson or Erasmus ;)
Great to be so flush with wing options.

Wonder where O'Driscoll and Chapman may see opportunities.

Great to be so flush with wing options.

Wonder where O'Driscoll and Chapman may see opportunities.

Chapman in defence, O'Driscoll at Peel for now but down the track he'd be a candidate for a midfield role if good enough.

re the wing, its quantity over quality at the moment but hopefully a couple of the youngsters can improve enough to take the spot.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back