List Mgmt. Welcome Jordan Clark

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Clark has a bigger tank, has more skills and most importantly has more scoreboard impact than both of those two players though as of now. While that could change in the future as NOD and Freddy develop, Clark is the superior choice on the wing. He is clearly a natural footballer and those types of players need to play in the midfield.
Sorry but rubbish. Freddy beat Clark in the last two 1km's. Both Erasmus and Freddy are better kicks than Clark too as he sprays it a fair bit. Freedy's kicking looks hugely improved in training and Erasmus is every bit as good as runner and a better kick than Clark already.

Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sorry but rubbish. Freddy beat Clark in the last two 1km's. Both Erasmus and Freddy are better kicks than Clark too as he sprays it a fair bit. Freedy's kicking looks hugely improved in training and Erasmus is every bit as good as runner and a better kick than Clark already.

You are not making Clark sound any bargain.

Polo342

Club Legend
Nov 1, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
If he isn't one of the half backs how do you see that happening?
No idea thats the thing 😅. Personally reckon Clark should be on wing. Would be interesting to know who the better actual defender is out of Clark or Walker. Thats if you take out everything bar actual defending

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
My thoughts on Clark is that he has potential, but unlike some on here blaming Geelong, it’s up to him to prove his worth.
By the end of January we may also be excited by Worner.
It appears that we have plenty of options for wings/flanks.
Maybe it’s time to work out who sits on the interchange than the starting 18?

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Clark’s overhead marking and reading of the play not being given a lot of consideration in these conversations. Geelong likened him to a shorter Andrew Mackie. To me he is an upgrade on Wilson as he will get similar metres gained and score involvements but he is a far better defender.

We are going to be a serious aerial threat in defence, similar to recent peak West Coast but with a mix of great kicks and speed to transition out of defence quickly.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Clark’s overhead marking and reading of the play not being given a lot of consideration in these conversations. Geelong likened him to a shorter Andrew Mackie. To me he is an upgrade on Wilson as he will get similar metres gained and score involvements but he is a far better defender.

We are going to be a serious aerial threat in defence, similar to recent peak West Coast but with a mix of great kicks and speed to transition out of defence quickly.
Obviously having speed on every line would be part of the gameplan, and at Optus should be intimidating.
But you also need that contested ball capability, aggression to win your own ball on every line, to get the pill in the hands of
your playmakers.
Neesham had this style back in the nineties, but it was Sheedy who had the mature, experienced bodies to dominate in 2000.
Sheeds liked parts of Neesham’s game, but had the enforcers to match the skilled.
How we deal with the physicality of the game will determine our season.

wakojako

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Freddy may be quicker but his fitness is not up to the level it needs to be to play wing. Erasmus' future looks to be in the centre bounce anyway.

I've got a bit more patience with Clark - it's going to be quite the journey over the next 2 seasons.

How Clark moulds and develops along with the likes of Young, Frederick & Henry will be fascinating.

Personally I just think a lot of it is going to be chemistry and which players settle in and fins combos that work. With the run and kick out of the backline - I like the combo of bigger defenders (Pearce, Hamling, Logue, Cox & Chapman) getting the ball out to really good users & decision makers by foot (Ryan and Young) and get it out quickly to the rebound run likes of Clark, Henry, Tucker & Erasmus.

Whether Clark is an attacking HBF or a wing doesn't really matter at this stage - at 21 just develop him. If that means a season at half back flank - so be it.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

Personally I think Wilson will play. He may be in decline, but he's still got some run left.

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
Freddy may be quicker but his fitness is not up to the level it needs to be to play wing. Erasmus' future looks to be in the centre bounce anyway.
Maybe going on last years performances you may be right on Fredericks. But last year was only his second season. This is his second FULL preseason. His stamina will be increased by the extra year.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Maybe going on last years performances you may be right on Fredericks. But last year was only his second season. This is his second FULL preseason. His stamina will be increased by the extra year.
Will be really interesting to see, and to me wing looks like his position. But the capacity to do the kind of running an AFL winger needs isn't just a matter of more preseason running. BHill and Landon are elite in their ability. Hoping Frederick can get to that level.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I've got a bit more patience with Clark - it's going to be quite the journey over the next 2 seasons.

How Clark moulds and develops along with the likes of Young, Frederick & Henry will be fascinating.

Personally I just think a lot of it is going to be chemistry and which players settle in and fins combos that work. With the run and kick out of the backline - I like the combo of bigger defenders (Pearce, Hamling, Logue, Cox & Chapman) getting the ball out to really good users & decision makers by foot (Ryan and Young) and get it out quickly to the rebound run likes of Clark, Henry, Tucker & Erasmus.

Whether Clark is an attacking HBF or a wing doesn't really matter at this stage - at 21 just develop him. If that means a season at half back flank - so be it.
With our riches for the HBF position I hope we see a rotation between hbf, wing, hff and the bench. There's a fluid skillset that fits those positions to some extent and if we really want to be faster, a rotation will keep players fresher.

Last edited:
With our riches for the HBF position I hope we see a rotation between hbf, wing, hff and the bench. There's a fluid skillet that fits those positions to some extent and if we really want to be faster, a rotation will keep players fresher.

Looking forward to playing teams with slower forward lines ...the rebound should be wonderful to watch.

I really think playing WC twice next year is such a blessing from a match up viewpoint. I see the Eagles as being one Nic Nat injury away from being in a lot of trouble.

Aug 22, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
With all the pressure for the HBF positions it should motivate Wilson to produce the run and carry that he showed a couple of years back….or not

freodog

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
With all the pressure for the HBF positions it should motivate Wilson to produce the run and carry that he showed a couple of years back….or not

I think Wilson got too comfortable. He had a reputation of a an ultra fit running half back flanker. Unfortunately he hasn't looked fit for at least a couple of years.

He got to move home on a good contract. Got the house, family achieving what he set out too.

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wasn’t fussed if we got Clark or not I must admit, theres no doubt he wasn’t working hard enough at Geelong, but I can almost understand that due to their list & a real lack of similar aged players of his type to work & develop with.

Motivation is massive in getting the best out of yourself & the environment your working in plays a big part of that. I’m so pleased to hear his results at training & that he took part in the Brayshaw tradition of 100 100’s on Christmas Day & can guarantee that something like that would have never crossed his mind at Geelong.

This list is perfect for him & Freo (& home) is a good match for him to fulfill his potential, however high that is for him. I hope he proves his doubters wrong.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think he’s quite a bit back in the pecking order now. Very useful depth though if I’m right.
Simple question will he be involved in our next finals campaign?
I don’t think so unless injury occurs.
We just have so much depth, to think Walker to be pushed out just doesn’t make sense.
Chapman, Walker, Young, should be a given. Really think that goal square incident had his name crossed off.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Simple question will he be involved in our next finals campaign?
I don’t think so unless injury occurs.
We just have so much depth, to think Walker to be pushed out just doesn’t make sense.
Chapman, Walker, Young, should be a given. Really think that goal square incident had his name crossed off.
Next season is our next finals campaign. Especially if we have a decent mix of veterans and rookies.

ozzie69

All Australian
Jun 28, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Next season is our next finals campaign. Especially if we have a decent mix of veterans and rookies.
In my view, there are really only two things we need for a far more successful season next year:
1. Far better management of injuries to be able to keep more best 22 players on the field.
2. Maturity from our squad such that we can't be as easily physically bullied by more mature teams.
With these two things, finals should follow quite quickly.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
And a change of injury fortunes would go a long way too
Agree. I think we are ready for a finals push, and I think Walters, Mundy, Hamling and Wilson are important to that happening. The following season far less so.

I know you can have bad luck with injuries but I more subscribe to the line of thought that we have performed below par with injury management. Obviously the club has been addressing that with a revamp of s&c as well as delisting the players with long term injury histories.

Back