Player Watch Jordan Dawson - Our New Captain!

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
Disagree .....it's the Clubs that make the game ....players are simply transient participants who do put on the show

However for every player there is a replacement ......the Clubs are the constant, and it's them that have developed the players

Players seem to think they've done it all themselves, without any assistance

Correct.

AFL is greater than Clubs which is greater than Players.

Not sure where the paying public and corporates sit.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Bit of a w***er taking the PSD off the table.

Way to show utterly no loyalty to your new club.

Should have told him to wait 2 years to free agency if he wasn't willing to consider the PSD.
It's pretty much how players work in afraid.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

Should have told him to wait 2 years to free agency if he wasn't willing to consider the PSD.

I'd argue it was more about the lack of certainty of lasting to 4 than forcing us o bend over to reward Sydney.

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide

He’s shown loyalty to his new club by choosing us and if you’re the player do you want to be a prick or ensure you old club gets something back for what they’ve done for you? Plus there’s still the couple of months wait until you’re on the list and the risk something goes wrong.

The clubs would pitch to players they can get the deals done and you don’t want a reputation that you can’t otherwise you’ll turn players off.

As for waiting 2 years, that’s a joke right? You read the article, things changed in weeks. Who knows what will happen in 2 years, he could stay or have chosen Port.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Pretty sure Dawson even mentioned in his interview that he’s glad the Swans got something back

Not wanting his old club to be totally ripped off is understandable in my book. The club that developed him and made him a really good AFL player. Thankfully a fair deal was reached (even if Sydney doesn’t see it that way)

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
The threat of PSD is and always has been the main purpose of PSD. It is to force the selling club to eventually sell the player, and not allowing them to anchor on a ridiculous price. Why do you think the league hasn't got rid of it in the last 20-30 years?
Nah .....the PSD origins and reasons have become somewhat clouded over time .....but it certainly wasn't based around trading of players

Vader can answer this ....did the PSD precede the introduction of the Rookie system ....I believe it did

Saying the use of a mid-season draft is a horrible idea, doesn't take in the incentive of clubs to get a trade done to avoid .....and secondly that the player leaving has the option still of going into the ND

Problem is, some of these process's have become obsolete as other initiatives have been introduced to protect players movement ......DFA's and Free Agency and Unrestricted Free Agency have come in after the PSD became irrelevant ......simply get rid of it

Crow_68

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide

On the flip side, tells us a little bit about Jordan’s character in that he wanted to acknowledge the 6 years of investment Sydney had made in him.

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nah .....the PSD origins and reasons have become somewhat clouded over time .....but it certainly wasn't based around trading of players

Vader can answer this ....did the PSD precede the introduction of the Rookie system ....I believe it did

Saying the use of a mid-season draft is a horrible idea, doesn't take in the incentive of clubs to get a trade done to avoid .....and secondly that the player leaving has the option still of going into the ND

Problem is, some of these process's have become obsolete as other initiatives have been introduced to protect players movement ......DFA's and Free Agency and Unrestricted Free Agency have come in after the PSD became irrelevant ......simply get rid of it
I think the PSD had its origins around drafting ex afl players. Like a second chance saloon. I personally don't think the PSD should exist in it's current form. It makes no sense really. Should be just a player lodgement as a free agent. The draft is just nonsense.

The only way I can suggest the AFL make it less of an incentive for clubs to walk players to PSD instead of trading, is refuse the player access to the perspective AFL club training facilities and participate in a club pre season program until say 1st Jan.

In Dawsons case though, I do think the Swans were the unreasonable party and wanted overs for him for his current resume. They were wanting to trade on this potential. They got a more than fair offer for him.

If anything, maybe the AFL should create a trading mediation panel. Three people sit and discuss what's fair and both parties have to abide by the final decision.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
If anything, maybe the AFL should create a trading mediation panel. Three people sit and discuss what's fair and both parties have to abide by the final decision.
This is what I thought was happening (except 1 arbitrator ) ......but I was informed it was simply a Moderator that listens to both sides, and can only recommend a course of action

Personally I don't think anyone outside of the club, should tell any club what trade picks to use

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide

Horrible take.

Dawson made a personal decision for the benefit of his own life which he is more than entitled to do, the fact that he didn’t want to leave his old club high and dry shows good character.

There’s also the fact that he might not have wanted to risk ending up somewhere other than SA, which is completely fair.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
He’s shown loyalty to his new club by choosing us and if you’re the player do you want to be a prick or ensure you old club gets something back for what they’ve done for you? Plus there’s still the couple of months wait until you’re on the list and the risk something goes wrong.

The clubs would pitch to players they can get the deals done and you don’t want a reputation that you can’t otherwise you’ll turn players off.

As for waiting 2 years, that’s a joke right? You read the article, things changed in weeks. Who knows what will happen in 2 years, he could stay or have chosen Port.
I agree. Just would have been nice if some of the players we've lost over the years, showed the same concern.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows

The PSD existed long before the rookie list. For example, Simon Goodwin was drafted in the 1996 PSD - and there was no rookie list during the Blight era.

Historically, the list lodgement date for players delisting themselves was after nominations for the ND had closed. As a result, the PSD was required to reduce the legal risk associated with players being unable to find a new club, if their old club failed or refused to trade them.

The ND nomination date and/or list lodgement date were subsequently changed, and players can now delist themselves and nominate for the ND - thus removing the sole reason for the PSD's existence.

I wish they banned players nominating clubs.
Nominate states

'I want to go to West Coast for family reasons'
'they dont have the draft capital to make it work, but Fremantle does and they want to trade'
'yeah, nah, I'd rather stay at Geelong than go to Fremantle'

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pretty sure Dawson even mentioned in his interview that he’s glad the Swans got something back

Not wanting his old club to be totally ripped off is understandable in my book. The club that developed him and made him a really good AFL player. Thankfully a fair deal was reached (even if Sydney doesn’t see it that way)

As long as he didn’t alert Swans to this fact he’s done nothing wrong by us.

Meanwhile most of our departing players would be happy for our club to burn to the ground.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think the PSD had its origins around drafting ex afl players. Like a second chance saloon. I personally don't think the PSD should exist in it's current form. It makes no sense really. Should be just a player lodgement as a free agent. The draft is just nonsense.

The only way I can suggest the AFL make it less of an incentive for clubs to walk players to PSD instead of trading, is refuse the player access to the perspective AFL club training facilities and participate in a club pre season program until say 1st Jan.

In Dawsons case though, I do think the Swans were the unreasonable party and wanted overs for him for his current resume. They were wanting to trade on this potential. They got a more than fair offer for him.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The existing system works just fine. Certainly whatever might arguably be wrong isn’t bad enough to have the AFL resolve by creating a panel.

Sep 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
rabidcrow ...think this answers your DFA question

Also re making a player wait till the Mid-Season Draft .....that in fact is the carrot to ensure clubs negotiate a suitable trade

Alternatives:
1. Enter the ND
2. Fair Trade between 2 clubs .....with the option of an Arbitrator to assist

ATM the PSD Draft is being used solely as a threat to clubs in negotiations, rather than it's original and now outdated purpose

The ND can’t be the answer because in this situation the player won’t get to where he wants to go because the selling club is being ridiculous. You would imagine Port would take him at fair value 16 (pre all the trades) so wouldn’t last until 23. 4 wasn’t on anyone’s radar except a couple of blokes in Swams list management.
Arbitration might work - I think a Ryder got to Port via arbitration because the Bombers acted like the Swans did (albeit I think Ryder was in contract but the whole drug scandal had occurred)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
The ND can’t be the answer because in this situation the player won’t get to where he wants to go because the selling club is being ridiculous. You would imagine Port would take him at fair value 16 (pre all the trades) so wouldn’t last until 23. 4 wasn’t on anyone’s radar except a couple of blokes in Swams list management.
Arbitration might work - I think a Ryder got to Port via arbitration because the Bombers acted like the Swans did (albeit I think Ryder was in contract but the whole drug scandal had occurred)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It's not Free Agency ....player has simply completed his Contract .....I'm a tough bugger, IMO he simply goes back into the National Draft Pool till he reach's his Free Agency status

Market forces still at play here though .....Club generally doesn't want a player, not committed .....and buying club doesn't want him to into the ND .....all we're doing here is taking the PSD threat out of the equation

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
It's amazing how quiet that Swans joker on the main board RUNVS and several of his clueless mates have gone since it came to light through Dogga that Sydney knocked back an offer of signing on for a further 2 years. Pretty obvious the Swans wanted to back end a 5 year deal while they worked on a reigning in their bursting salary cap issue.....i.e pay peanuts for the next couple of years then heavily back end the deal.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
The Power was willing to offer its selection 16, while Adelaide initially had No. 17 and pick slides on the table.
So much for the Swans fans belief they could do a deal with Port that's get them a better deal.

Dawson felt a better connection with Adelaide, including coach Matthew Nicks, who understood the Sydney lifestyle and had been a 175-game player at the Swans.

Adelaide’s pitch included trying to build a squad and Dawson’s role in it.
Good to hear Nicks impacting there in recruitment too.

:rolleyes: Sydney could've signed him for 2 years, but chose not to and ended up losing him instead.
They countered with a long-term offer apparently, but by the time they did the state was shutdown which made him reevaluate staying.

Apsaalooke

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Ozark Mountain Daredevils
This is what I thought was happening (except 1 arbitrator ) ......but I was informed it was simply a Moderator that listens to both sides, and can only recommend a course of action

Personally I don't think anyone outside of the club, should tell any club what trade picks to use
No problem, we'll just get an ex-Geelong player to mediate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back