Player Watch Jordan Dawson - Our New Captain!

crouch is a 26 yr old AA player and beat and fairest winner. The last part of 2020 (8 rounds) he was one of the best mids in the comp
Assuming he gets over this injury could easily be playing for 6-7 more years - so highly unlikely we would be cutting our losses

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We tried our hardest to move on Matt at the end of this year.

The only reason he's really here is the league didn't think that highly of him either.

Sep 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
We tried our hardest to move on Matt at the end of this year.

The only reason he's really here is the league didn't think that highly of him either.

Did we try our hardest? Or did we just offer a solid deal that he could take or leave?

Assuming he gets over his groins Matt still has a lot to offer.

Did we try our hardest? Or did we just offer a solid deal that he could take or leave?

Assuming he gets over his groins Matt still has a lot to offer.

When you offer a free agent less money and only two years, you are actively trying to get rid of them. After all, that is a rather damning statement that the club would rather you elsewhere unless there is an extremely friendly club deal in place.

We put the free to a good home sign on Matt and the league responded that they couldn't be bothered with him either.

Odds are, right now, we're parting ways in two years. I also don't know if Matt will even be in the league after we do, afterall, the league is beginning to move away from his type of player. Especially ones who become crabs when things aren't 100%.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
When you offer a free agent less money and only two years, you are actively trying to get rid of them. After all, that is a rather damning statement that the club would rather you elsewhere unless there is an extremely friendly club deal in place.

We put the free to a good home sign on Matt and the league responded that they couldn't be bothered with him either.

Odds are, right now, we're parting ways in two years. I also don't know if Matt will even be in the league after we do, afterall, the league is beginning to move away from his type of player. Especially ones who become crabs when things aren't 100%.
He'll have a place with the right types around him, but he's limited by legspeed.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Crouch is a good inside mid. What concerns me other than his recent injury history, is that he's not the kind of player we plan to build our new midfield around. Nicks said in his presser yesterday that they're targeting strength and pace. Everybody can see where the game is going right now. The days of the slow accumulator are at an end.

Last edited:

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Crouch is a good inside mid. What concerns me other than his recent injury history, is that he's not the kind of player we plan to build our new midfield around. Nicks said in his presser yesterday that they're targeting strength and pace. Everybody can where the game is going right now. The days of the slow accumulator are at an end.
For now.

I think our midfield needs to move away from him, Laird did the accumulation role and provided more albeit with similar average foot skills.

But a 2 year deal on our terms was a no brainer in the short term.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
For now.

I think our midfield needs to move away from him, Laird did the accumulation role and provided more albeit with similar average foot skills.

But a 2 year deal on our terms was a no brainer in the short term.
I am the other way on Matt if Burgess can get the best out of him fitness and injury prevention wise. We all know he is a great accumulator, but he is also a hard inside player that has been AA before so knows what it takes to be in elite company. I think he could have a real renaissance if a few things go right for him physically

I am the other way on Matt if Burgess can get the best out of him fitness and injury prevention wise. We all know he is a great accumulator, but he is also a hard inside player that has been AA before so knows what it takes to be in elite company. I think he could have a real renaissance if a few things go right for him physically
Agreed.

You don’t just lose your ability to find the ball.

It's just a matter of fitness for Crouch & we now have one of the best in the business.

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs
Crouch is a good inside mid. What concerns me other than his recent injury history, is that he's not the kind of player we plan to build our new midfield around. Nicks said in his presser yesterday that they're targeting strength and pace. Everybody can see where the game is going right now. The days of the slow accumulator are at an end.

Wouldn't say they're dead, Tom Mitchell had a really good year, probably would have given Wines a run in the Brownlow if he was fit in the first half of the year. There is low demand and having more than one of these types can be detrimental though

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs
I haven't "studied" the film but I remember Beane's motivation to use analytics to find bargains essentially revolved around not having enough money to compete with the payroll of larger, more well resourced sides. How would that angle play out in the AFL where they have a salary cap?

I can tell you that we give a large majority weighting to analytics after a certain cutoff point in the draft (roughly pick 40), to the point analytics almost pick the player itself. Earlier picks its flipped and in the hands of our recruiting teams' eyes.

Sep 2, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
If Ned and Jones weren't pretenders we wouldn't be so reliant on Crouch having to be something he's not.
A bloke getting 30+ disposals a game is an advantage NOT a disadvantage it's not his fault other numptys aren't stepping up to what they were drafted to be.
Ned and Jones were drafted because of run..run run run is all we heard.
The fact they aren't in the midfield running is the problem not crouch.

StickerMan

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Norwood,
Matt’s problem isn’t finding the ball, the problem is how slow he is to move it on

everything grinds to a halt when it’s in his hands
And the fact he demands the footy when he is repeatedly in the wrong position to receive

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

StickerMan

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Norwood,
That said we haven't seen him play much without his brother, they'd just give the ball to each other regardless.
Agreed. They did always look for each other in shut positions to give and receive.

For me, he's in the same bucket as Milera in that I don't hold out much hope of returning to their best football, and if they so then that us a bonus.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Agreed. They did always look for each other in shut positions to give and receive.

For me, he's in the same bucket as Milera in that I don't hold out much hope of returning to their best football, and if they so then that us a bonus.

I don't see a reason why Milera won't, Crouch too for that matter.

Its just that Matt's style is less important in this day and age.

StickerMan

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Norwood,
I don't see a reason why Milera won't, Crouch too for that matter.

Its just that Matt's style is less important in this day and age.
I just have a feeling we will never see the best of Milera unfortunately.

With Laird coming on, and the emergence of Keys, I suspect you are correct. It's not like he can play another position and would be criminal if Laird is shifted back again to allow Matt to clog up the midfield.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
yeah, none of that is true
The first round is often so obvious, even media commentators can pick out the top picks with a reasonable hit rate. It becomes a crap shoot when you're all the way down the order. It seems logical to me why the club might lean harder on their analytics team with later picks.

Back