Player Watch #19: Josh Schache

Remove this Banner Ad

One key position whipping boy leaves, another one from the same draft takes his place.

At least this one can play back too. Don't actually hate the move, Crazy Goody may be better for him than Crazy Bevo.

Go well, Shaq! (Shac? Schack?)

season 6 GIF

We're getting him cheaply, so its worth a shot. Don't like his prospects as a forward though so I'm not sure where he'll fit in

For me Schache is the most similar value / player to Weiderman in the AFL. We improve a round pick with the swap. Im presuming we got a third from essendon and gave a fourth for schache.

The lottery is that hes basically the same untapped potential as weiderman but a couple cms taller 197-199 so that fwd / ruck role is a little more manageable.

I still look at Tim English and watch Schache go in ruck to swap and wonder why he cant be that player.

I'm confused, do we need 6 or less key forwards in this draft now?

And is upgrading a former pick 9 key forward to a pick 2 the biggest piece of business this club has ever done?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me Schache is the most similar value / player to Weiderman in the AFL. We improve a round pick with the swap. Im presuming we got a third from essendon and gave a fourth for schache.

The lottery is that hes basically the same untapped potential as weiderman but a couple cms taller 197-199 so that fwd / ruck role is a little more manageable.

I still look at Tim English and watch Schache go in ruck to swap and wonder why he cant be that player.
Schache’s a better set shot and probably holds his marks better but he doesn’t crash packs or fly for the footy like Weideman occasionally does. Of course Weid never actually marked the footy or brought the ball to ground, so Schache being softer than he is doesn’t make much difference. The point is that neither of them ever really kicks any easy goals from general play or takes any simple marks. Schache offers a bit more as a potential spare in defence I guess.

His last two VFL games:
  • 23 disposals, 9 marks, 7 goals, 1 behind
  • 24 disposals, 9 marks, 7 goals, 3 behinds
Eye-watering numbers. At worst, will be a handy pickup for Casey

I'm not of the view we only pick shaq up to play in the 2s and be Weed 2.0

If Ben Brown doesn't hold up physically next season
Make JVR our focal point up forward, and give Shaq a run. He's a number 2 pick (I know, I know means sweet * all!) But we can milk that for all this potential is worth and greatly win this acquisition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back