Coaching Staff Welcome Leon Cameron as Coaching Director of Swans Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

If you count McVeigh's 13 games in charge at GWS last season, four coaches with experience coaching at the highest level together at one club must be getting into AFL record territory?
Two of those have gone to the Academy which is not exactly the 'club'.

Leon Cameron is the Coaching Director whereas Mark McVeigh is the Head Coach.

Two of those have gone to the Academy which is not exactly the 'club'.

Leon Cameron is the Coaching Director whereas Mark McVeigh is the Head Coach.
Does anyone know the reporting structure for Cameron? Does he report to Harley or Gardiner? Presumably not Horse. I wonder if they function as an executive or just how it works.
I imagine the VFL coach reports to Horse but the welfare and development roles?
Love to see an org chart!

Does anyone know the reporting structure for Cameron? Does he report to Harley or Gardiner? Presumably not Horse. I wonder if they function as an executive or just how it works.
Lots of good announcements. The Swans are a healthy club attracting talent at all levels. It really is encouraging to see these appointments. My nephew was contacted recently. He is dealing with that. It is the consistent communication at all levels. This is no Mickey Mouse club. Professional right down to the juniors. I do love the club.

I don't think that the Academy people report to anyone within the club - I think it is more separate than that. For instance, if you look at the list of key personnel within the club - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club. All the latest news, videos, results and information. - it doesn't include anyone connected to the Academy

Charlie Gardiner oversees the football program - so all the coaches (including Horse) and high performance staff and physios (and welfare and development) etc report to him. Maybe the assistant coaches "report" to Horse but I don't think they work that way. They seem to be more collaborative and while I'm sure Horse is in charge of straight coaching decisions they operate as a team. That team often includes Charlie Gardiner and Tom Harley (e.g. match committee). Plus you'll often see Charlie and/or Tom on the bench during game day. Likewise I think Horse has visibility and some input into list management decisions too - you always see him at the draft etc.

It's not an organisational chart but hopefully that list of key personnel is a starting point for you.

I don't think that the Academy people report to anyone within the club - I think it is more separate than that. For instance, if you look at the list of key personnel within the club - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club. All the latest news, videos, results and information. - it doesn't include anyone connected to the Academy

Charlie Gardiner oversees the football program - so all the coaches (including Horse) and high performance staff and physios (and welfare and development) etc report to him. Maybe the assistant coaches "report" to Horse but I don't think they work that way. They seem to be more collaborative and while I'm sure Horse is in charge of straight coaching decisions they operate as a team. That team often includes Charlie Gardiner and Tom Harley (e.g. match committee). Plus you'll often see Charlie and/or Tom on the bench during game day. Likewise I think Horse has visibility and some input into list management decisions too - you always see him at the draft etc.

It's not an organisational chart but hopefully that list of key personnel is a starting point for you.
The implication from that would be that Cameron reports to Harley and that the Academy coaches etc come under Cameron.
I get what you say about a less formal modus operandi than a strict reporting structure and I get that impression too.
I always find the working relationships within an organisation fascinating and I get a really good impression of the functionality of the Swans which implies a very high level of both competence and trust.

The implication from that would be that Cameron reports to Harley and that the Academy coaches etc come under Cameron.
I get what you say about a less formal modus operandi than a strict reporting structure and I get that impression too.
I always find the working relationships within an organisation fascinating and I get a really good impression of the functionality of the Swans which implies a very high level of both competence and trust.
I think it's possible that the Academy is simply separate to the club and doesn't report to the Swans executive at all. They may or may not have the same Board that supervises them - I don't know.

I think there is a formal reporting structure but it might not operate so strictly in practice. I am pretty definite that Horse reports to Charlie and Charlie reports to Tom according to formal reporting lines.

I think it's possible that the Academy is simply separate to the club and doesn't report to the Swans executive at all. They may or may not have the same Board that supervises them - I don't know.

I think there is a formal reporting structure but it might not operate so strictly in practice. I am pretty definite that Horse reports to Charlie and Charlie reports to Tom according to formal reporting lines.

Iirc the Academy is funded through a Trust. I expect Harley would be on the Trust as part of his responsibilities and report to the Board. No doubt the Swans coaches as well as Beatson and Dalrymple would have a close liaison but no formal role with the Academy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back