List Mgmt. Welcome Liam Duggan Pick 11 2014 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

WOW :eek:0.03 of a second.

Case closed.

How old was Gaff v Duggan BTW?

And you are incorrect in stating you can't train and be coached and get faster. Running, sprint training is just another aspect that players and clubs work on after being drafted. Fast twitch muscle can be developed / improved with the right training methods. Sprinting styles can be improved on and developed and yes some players are more developed than others. Especially those who are low age recruits.
peter bell improved his speed considerably at north Melbourne I believe

I think this draft has the potential to be one of our best drafts ever. I cant remember a 17 year old being so good on both sides as Duggan is. Lamb out ran almost all the midfielders in the 3k and the beep test. We got Waterman cheaper then a bag of rice in china and Nelson and Cavka look to be very handy players also. Time will tell with this group of players but I am very optimistic about this draft. Bring on 2015 and beyond.

Ps, Duggan is not slow:straining:

Whatever, if you write nonsense someone will call it. You're making claims about the Yeo trade you can't substantiate. It's wishful thinking.

In regards to the players mentioned Macnamara, Dalziel, McGinnity were never quality, simply dead ends that were poorly assessed and held onto for far too long due to poor list management.

Hams and Sheppard we're never fully fledge midfield prospects and have never been used as such at their time at the Eagles.

Stevens and Swift both had some talent, and both exited the club after just 3/4 years respectively (Ebert likewise a year earlier). Neither player has been with us the last two years and neither played with us at what would be their prime.

Again it comes down to turnover and the coaching staff assessing and developing players properly. You need to find two premiership quality players a year, they won't always come out of the first two rounds.

These new players need to be given time but the coaches need make the hard call on players once they're full abilities are meaningfully exposed at league level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only one writing nonsense here is you. I outlined the picks we had and what went down, and there was much discussion on the trade thread at the time from others who believed we did the wrong thing as well. For some reason lately you've decided to attack my posts particularly, and I'm not sure why. We're supposed to be supporters of the same club, that doesn't mean you can't disagree on things, but you're starting to come across as if you've got some kind of bee in your bonnet lately, which is a pity because you do have some good insight on younger players which is appreciated.

Well then you just agreed with my point, because we need quality picks, not just quantity. People are always saying in here we need someone to support Shuey in the middle, yet we have had plenty of mids play through there, so it's obvious that everyone believes it's quality that is needed to support him.

Hams played primarily as a midfielder in the WAFL, racking up 30 possessions in games even in his last year of being on our list, however he wasn't given much of a go in the midfield for us. Sheppard was also touted as a midfielder when in under 18's and picked up by us to play midfield. He was shifted to half back when it was obvious he couldn't cut it in order to try and make use of him, especially after picking him at 7.

Stevens is still playing in the AFL right now and has been struggling to get a game at WB, so once again your point does not make sense. Swift quit, despite having some talent, but that's still one player out of five that might have been ok.

You do need to make the most out of the picks you have via good coaching and development, and picks do need to be given time, but 3-4 years should be enough to see if a midfielder is going to be worth hanging onto. Taller prospects can take a bit longer. Why we've held on to mcginnity for so long is baffling.

You may not always get gold out of top picks but the percentage of it happening is certainly higher than taking late picks all the time, and loading up on a bunch of late pick midfielders is a highly dubious strategy for Premiership success IMO. I'm glad we are getting more mids, but it's quality we need.

Last edited:
You may not always get gold out of top picks but the percentage of it happening is certainly higher than taking late picks all the time, and loading up on a bunch of late pick midfielders is a highly dubious strategy for Premiership success IMO. I'm glad we are getting more mids, but it's quality we need.
I don't think it's highly dubious at all.

The following players all contributed to their respective sides' midfield rotations in the 2014 Grand Final:
Jack (Rookie)
Langford (Rookie)
Breust (Rookie)
Suckling (Rookie)
McGlynn (Rookie)
Lloyd (Rookie)
Duryea (#69)
Puopolo (#66)
Bird (#59)
Parker (#40)
Shiels (#34)
Hill (#33)
Hannebery (#30)

Sure, they might not all be front liners, but they all played a part in the midfield at various times.

Obviously there are early picks in these midfields, but there are more late picks and a lot of them are crucial to their sides' success.

Last edited:
Stevens is still playing in the AFL right now and has been struggling to get a game at WB, so once again your point does not make sense. Swift quit, despite having some talent, but that's still one player out of five that might have been ok.

He's played just under 40 games in his 2 seasons at the dogs.

Glad we picked Duggan over Weller. Weller will fit in perfectly with Freo's ever increasing spud farm.
:rolleyes:

Weller shows all the signs of being a pretty decent footballer. Not his fault he was drafted by freo

Weller, Hill and Pearce on the outside are pretty frightening

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations - you put Pearce and frightening in the same sentence.

I do believe that is a first
you just got to laugh:rolleyes:
Untagged he is dangerous. He and Hill have hurt us in the past and you are kidding yourself if you think he doesn't have some talent, regardless of how much of a giant campaigner he is and his propensity to go missing in big games.

The only one writing nonsense here is you. I outlined the picks we had and what went down, and there was much discussion on the trade thread at the time from others who believed we did the wrong thing as well. For some reason lately you've decided to attack my posts particularly, and I'm not sure why. We're supposed to be supporters of the same club, that doesn't mean you can't disagree on things, but you're starting to come across as if you've got some kind of bee in your bonnet lately, which is a pity because you do have some good insight on younger players which is appreciated.

Don't take it personally. I can't really recall the subjects of the other posts where we've disagreed...

Well then you just agreed with my point, because we need quality picks, not just quantity. People are always saying in here we need someone to support Shuey in the middle, yet we have had plenty of mids play through there, so it's obvious that everyone believes it's quality that is needed to support him.

I never said we didn't lack quality in my original reply. I said our depth was poor. Poor depth has an effect on the quality. This is especially true if you don't address this over an extended period. Which we haven't.

I don't see the 3-4 depth players as being proof against this theory, especially considering the background of McGinnity (2007 PSD, not best 22), Hutchings (delisted rookie from StKilda) and Wellingham (Rookie, low production at Collingwood). Had we drafted more than one decent midfielder from 2009-2012 (Gaff) this wouldn't be the case.

Hams played primarily as a midfielder in the WAFL, racking up 30 possessions in games even in his last year of being on our list, however he wasn't given much of a go in the midfield for us. Sheppard was also touted as a midfielder when in under 18's and picked up by us to play midfield. He was shifted to half back when it was obvious he couldn't cut it in order to try and make use of him, especially after picking him at 7.

Pretty much all of this is a stretch. Hams played midfield/ half back prior to being draft and while he wasn't used in the middle at AFL that comes as no surprise.

Sheppard was touted as a dashing defender, Woosha even verbalized a hope he might emulate McKenna. There was some hope that he might push up into the middle. The closest he's got to playing midfield is some time on the wings and on ball in the WAFL.

Stevens as others have pointed out is playing most weeks at the Bulldogs in a more outside/ forward role and doing ok considering this position and Bulldogs form. As they're stacked for inside midfielders, most shorter than him, he'll have to adapt to other roles and take advantage of his height.

You do need to make the most out of the picks you have via good coaching and development, and picks do need to be given time, but 3-4 years should be enough to see if a midfielder is going to be worth hanging onto. Taller prospects can take a bit longer. Why we've held on to mcginnity for so long is baffling.

It depends on how you rated them pre-draft, what your short term expectations are and how they measure up to those KPI. I don't have a problem cutting some players after two years on the senior list.

This is the same failed logic that got us into this mess. Loading up on earlier picks without security in depth (later picks) is a dangerous strategy. Like i said before you need to find on average two premiership players every year, to balance out those inevitable top end failures you need to go deeper. Going back to McGinnity, we could have cut him years ago and cycled through two other players in that time. Thus increasing our chances of landing a quality player.

Last edited:
Reading this thread is making me very excited about Duggan, although with all of these glowing reports why didn't he go top 3? His size/age?

If he was a month older, we'd have to have waited til next year to draft him. So in my mind, next years a bonus year. If he plays 5-10 games next year, gets a full preseason in, that's a massive win for us in fast tracking his development.

I must admit that he is fast becoming a favourite. Hope he gets a crack in the nab cup and maybe even round 1.

Edit: younger, not older

Last edited:
If Duggan had of missed out on this years draft by age where would you have seen him likely to be taken in next years draft after another 12 months development? First round still? Top 10? Top 5?

Isn't that what people were saying about Sheed this time last year? Lol, Simon Black of the WAFL reserves maybe
Too quick to judge I think. I'd like to give him a year or two longer before I dump him. Showed some good flashes last year and probably the sub (what a stupid idea) in about 7 of his 10 games which doesn't make it easy to shine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back