News Welcome Luke Beveridge

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting pretty excited now, he really sounds like the perfect bloke to take over after Macca.

Like that he wants to model the game around the players and IMO that sort of means not too much will change from the current plans I reckon. If we can just stick to a similar model but with a more organised defence and a bigger emphasise on attack, with a better balanced team considering our recruits. Well I'll be pretty bloody rapt.

Got bit of inside info off a player and they said the boys love Bev so far. He is a hard bastard and yells a lot but is cool off the track. He has them doing things they have never seen out on the training track and has lightened the weights training off from past seasons but working them harder and for longer aerobically.
Interesting, this is the third source I've heard that says the same thing.
Impact of IC rules or Bevo having a different philosophy? Post win games simply by being a better running side late in the game.

Getting pretty excited now, he really sounds like the perfect bloke to take over after Macca.

Like that he wants to model the game around the players and IMO that sort of means not too much will change from the current plans I reckon. If we can just stick to a similar model but with a more organised defence and a bigger emphasise on attack, with a better balanced team considering our recruits. Well I'll be pretty bloody rapt.
Hopefully the players will be able to play to their strengths, in the positions that are most beneficial to themselves and the team.

Hopefully the players will be able to play to their strengths, in the positions that are most beneficial to themselves and the team.

Think players like hunter will really benefit from this. He is a natural creator and if allowed to play his natural game should really do well.

Beverage has said he wants the players to play a more fluent game, use more flare....not exactly his words but it was a along those lines. He wants them to do that and see where it takes them and then pull it back if required or if it's going well take it to another level. He would rather that the other way which is reign all that in and build it up from there.

I think, reading between the lines is that we will be more adventurous, take more risks. Much harder running to spread.

Macca built the foundations for this. His focus was on contested footy and the more defensive elements of the game. Last year he started to introduce a more attacking style, better 2 way running with more spread from the contest, but we had trouble with that transition both from a physical and personnel point of view.

I suspect the additional aerobic work was going to happen even before Bev came on scene. But he's seems to have read where the list is at pretty well.

If he can get this list to keep it's contested game at a high level and introduce more attacking style to make better use of the possession generated from this then will be be well on the way. The third component is ball retention from better skills.

Any idea how this compares to same time last year? Is it a material step up?
Not totally sure but i think running has increase a hell of a lot. The guys had a massive training session today and a lot were exhausted from it.

Thanks for bumping this one - a walk back in time with some added perspective makes it a special thread to read through.
The best thing about the appointment was that everyone seemed really enthusiastic about Bevo as soon as he started talking.
I sound stupid saying this, but initially I wanted Bomber Thompson to take over. But as soon as I heard Bevo's presser I was sold.

The best thing about the appointment was that everyone seemed really enthusiastic about Bevo as soon as he started talking.
I sound stupid saying this, but initially I wanted Bomber Thompson to take over. But as soon as I heard Bevo's presser I was sold.
I dunno... some grumbled about his speaking style at the first interview... you know, important stuff...

Lol I wanted the club to consider Gary Ayres... Lucky we weren't involved in the selection process!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time for a couple of tidbits:

1. This process was advanced a lot quicker than the media caught on. Bev had met with the panel before he went os as had many others. He was advised some weeks ago that "we want you to be our senior coach".

2. He was os so no announcement could be made and he was also asked to review a bunch of things like the coaching structure, game plan and pre-season planning. Secondary meeting with Monty was re possibility of being senior assistant. Not sure where it got to.

3. Bomber and Neil Craig were never considered for the top position.

4. Forget what you see in the media. The drink is a funny, charismatic and engaging guy that players love. He is also highly, highly ambitious and will want to improve the team immediately. No 5 year plans.

5. He is very excited by the boyd thing. He couldn't understand a lot of selection and game style things we were doing last year, and that was consistent with opposition coaching staff thinking. Acknowledged that he didn't know the players personally, so he was sure there was good reason for a lot of the selection and game style decisions, but from an outsiders perspective, they seemed hard to understand.

6. Our team will have fun and have a more adventurous outlook. This guy loves life and takes it on. The whitten oval will be a fun place to be.

Ok, that's all I got for now. It's time for a drink.

Your mail is rubbish fronk !! Hahahaha

This reads like you wrote it two years after the appointment not two days. Brilliant mail in hindsight !!

I dunno... some grumbled about his speaking style at the first interview... you know, important stuff...

He kept calling us dour, think he said that word about 5 times early on.

It was shitting me a little at the time, upon reflection it was the perfect word for what we were!

I was curious recently to research Beveridge's involvement in premiership teams. I was even able to Google some stuff about his junior club, St Peters.

clubseasonlevelLuke's role
St. Peter's1981under 11 roversplayer
St. Peter's1983under 13player
Footscray1994reservesplayer
St. Kilda1996preseasonplayer
St. Bede's2006C gradeplayer-coach
St. Bede's2007B gradecoach
St. Bede's2008A gradecoach
Collingwood2010seniorsplayer development manager
Hawthorn2013seniorsdefence coach
Hawthorn2014seniorsdefence coach
Western Bulldogs2016seniorscoach

Last edited:
I was curious recently to research Beveridge's involvement in premiership teams. I was even able to Google some stuff about his junior club, St Peters.

club | season | level | Luke's role
\St Peters|1981|under 11 rovers|player
\St Peters|1983|under 13|player
\Footscray|1994|reserves|player
\St Kilda|1996|preseason|player
\St Bedes|2006|C grade|coach
\St Bedes|2007|B grade|coach
\St Bedes|2008|A grade|coach
\Collingwood|2010|seniors|player development manager
\Hawthorn|2013|seniors|defence coach
\Hawthorn|2014|seniors|defence coach
\Western Bulldogs|2016|seniors|coach
Luke Beveridge Played for Melbourne too 1989 to 1992 for
memory, don't want to undersell the man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back