List Mgmt. Welcome Luke Dahlhaus as free agent (CONFIRMED & OFFICIAL 5 Oct)

Luke Dahlhaus . Do you want him at Geelong?

• Total voters

Mr Blicavs

Basking in Premiership glory!
Aug 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors - Maple Leafs
It's more likely that they were brought in to complement than replace Menzel. Rohan can probably playe the Menzel role when he needs a rest or is injured, but otherwise is a pacy pressure player, more of a flanker. If Sav gets fit and firing as the genuine second tall, then it might be Menzel vs Rowan. Just my opinion but I see them wanting the likes of Narkle and Parfitt more in midfield, McCarthy and Gregson are gone, the days of Parsons filling in are probably over - so those types are who I see these two replacing.
Lololololololol. No

We are building forward lines around around blokes who’ve been told to look elsewhere ????? Hahaha :rolleyes:

Whether Menzel goes or stays, it’s obvious he’s behind Dahlaus and Rohan in 2019 These two wouldn’t even be coming to Geelong if the likes of Menzel was doing his job. Menzel should try and get himself a contract elsewhere.....otherwise it’s the VFL for him. Simples
It seems if Menzel is fit, he gets a game. Too good for VFL. The issue is keeping his fitness up long enough for our season. Going elsewhere won't change his problem.

Our forwardline is going to be built around Hawkins and Sav.
Agreed.
Will be interesting post Hawkins.
Mooney, Pods, Hawkins, Sav??, ??????. There will be another.
I think Parfitt will be handy there, and both Rohan and Dahlhaus

Parfitt will be our gun midfielder.
Looks to have that skill set. I just hope he's not too short or small for the mids that will play on him. Actually at 179/78 he's not far behind Chappy at a similar age.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
I don’t think so. We still love Dahl and he’s a good bloke. I predict no animosity from the Dogs. Stringer is another story entirely on the other hand..

What’s the issue there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JumpyHolden

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Looks to have that skill set. I just hope he's not too short or small for the mids that will play on him. Actually at 179/78 he's not far behind Chappy at a similar age.
I remember a bloke by the name of Greg Williams who was only 176, height didn't seem to worry him as a mid. Partiff seems to have some of his traits if you ask me.

Mr Meow

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Lololololololol. No

We are building forward lines around around blokes who’ve been told to look elsewhere ????? Hahaha :rolleyes:
That's fine. I didn't ridicule your opinion, but it was fun to read your immature reply.

We'll just have to wait and see how many games of VFL vs AFL Menzel plays this season. If there's more in the latter, you've erred once again in your judgement.

We'll just have to wait and see how many games of VFL vs AFL Menzel plays this season.
when fit he will play AFL, it's the injury cloud that is a worry. I always think that the team structure is better with him playing.

It seems if Menzel is fit, he gets a game. Too good for VFL. The issue is keeping his fitness up long enough for our season. Going elsewhere won't change his problem.
Agreed. If he stays then he'll be in the team as he can kick goals.

Agreed. If he stays then he'll be in the team as he can kick goals.
Not trying to be pedantic, but just for my own knowledge, I understand he is ooc, has been asked to look elsewhere; so it's now up to GFC to sign him up for a year, but they will only do so IF there is no interest elsewhere, and they feel like re-signing him??
This is not a common scenario.

Not trying to be pedantic, but just for my own knowledge, I understand he is ooc, has been asked to look elsewhere; so it's now up to GFC to sign him up for a year, but they will only do so IF there is no interest elsewhere, and they feel like re-signing him??
No, it's an unusual situation. Makes it difficult though, Menzel when playing is a gun, but didn't have a great year. If he is given another contract, it prohibits the development of another player. I'm quite torn.

isn't it nothing more than he wants more than a 1 year deal, but neither the Cats or any other club will offer that with his history.

isn't it nothing more than he wants more than a 1 year deal, but neither the Cats or any other club will offer that with his history.
Bit different? I thought last year he was offered a 1 year deal by us, but he wanted more, looked, no go, stayed with us.
Now, we have said look elsewhere.
Anyway, it is hearsay

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
That's fine. I didn't ridicule your opinion, but it was fun to read your immature reply.

We'll just have to wait and see how many games of VFL vs AFL Menzel plays this season. If there's more in the latter, you've erred once again in your judgement.

No one wants him says something about his career going forward. Will probably get a lifeline from geelong late 1 year deal. Although his body and athletisism is gone clubs don't really need forwards who struggle to put pressure on and want to play out of the goal square.

Do not think menzel had many games left in his career. Two seasons max, wouldn't think he projects to be in geelongs best 22 much if he was they would of just penned a 2 year deal. They even penned abbott that says a lot

Mr Meow

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
No one wants him says something about his career going forward. Will probably get a lifeline from geelong late 1 year deal. Although his body and athletisism is gone clubs don't really need forwards who struggle to put pressure on and want to play out of the goal square.

Do not think menzel had many games left in his career. Two seasons max, wouldn't think he projects to be in geelongs best 22 much if he was they would of just penned a 2 year deal. They even penned abbott that says a lot
He's too big a risk for other clubs to pick up especially since his body breaks down in the second half of seasons. Even his athleticism and marking ability now compared to 2 years ago is way down, besides his first burst of games this year. Such are our forward stocks I expect him to play more often than not when available though.

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
He's too big a risk for other clubs to pick up especially since his body breaks down in the second half of seasons. Even his athleticism and marking ability now compared to 2 years ago is way down, besides his first burst of games this year. Such are our forward stocks I expect him to play more often than not when available though.

Too risky for other clubs, but you expect him to be played when available at geelong. Not sure that makes much sense to me considering you stand him next to Gary rohan who had never player over 16 games in a season.

Nakia Cockatoo another to add to injury burdens you just can't even bother trying to play them together just a mess waiting to happen one has to go or be banished to VFL if he gets a contract he would be a second tier option for me just doesnt suit modern afl as much as a like the kid

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
No, it's an unusual situation. Makes it difficult though, Menzel when playing is a gun, but didn't have a great year. If he is given another contract, it prohibits the development of another player. I'm quite torn.

So am I, but we are moving on I think.

I’m not sure who of menz or murda will get a contract-possibly neither.

Watching summary of ‘11 and gosh he was a star in waiting.

Him and Egan; gawd. Just unbelievably bad luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mr Meow

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Too risky for other clubs, but you expect him to be played when available at geelong. Not sure that makes much sense to me considering you stand him next to Gary rohan who had never player over 16 games in a season.

Nakia Cockatoo another to add to injury burdens you just can't even bother trying to play them together just a mess waiting to happen one has to go or be banished to VFL if he gets a contract he would be a second tier option for me just doesnt suit modern afl as much as a like the kid
Clubs are more likely to keep someone on the list with injury problems than recruit them. Perhaps the Cats push that though as we love to recruit injury prone players. The time I'll believe what you're saying is when Menzel is healthy and the club decide to play him predominantly in the VFL. It could happen next season, we will see. I can see why Geelong hold onto him while others don't chase him, you can't. Fair enough, end of discussion.

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
Clubs are more likely to keep someone on the list with injury problems than recruit them. Perhaps the Cats push that though as we love to recruit injury prone players. The time I'll believe what you're saying is when Menzel is healthy and the club decide to play him predominantly in the VFL. It could happen next season, we will see. I can see why Geelong hold onto him while others don't chase him, you can't. Fair enough, end of discussion.

Been asked to explore his options coach is on record saying lost faith in his body. I would think it's unlikely he is a geelong player going forward

Back