#27 Luke Dunstan – retired

Generation X

Debutant
Sep 26, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Excellent get, we don't have a lot of inside midfield depth. He'll come in to do the hard grunt work so we won't have to throw Jordon or Sparrow in there if we pick up multiple injuries

Nice pick up

Xhoquelin

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Charlotte Hornets
Sparrow, Vin, Clarry are the get it at the coalface types and Trac can do that too...didn't view inside grunt midfielder as an area of need at all, but AFL calibre players always a good thing, thought our depth was a bit light at times last year.

Better not get a game over Sparrow barring some unforeseen off field issues for Sparrow or a ridiculous lack of form to where he's not even defending. He is who he is, seems to have been the same player for 5 years. I get Tommy can play HFF now; they can definitely co-exist in the same side, but it feels like a waste of developmental opportunities to play Dunstan in the guts and Sparrow at half forward across a full game, and Dunstan can't play anywhere else so if he's picked he's playing guts.

Tho yeah again its a good pickup. I think Richmond over the last few years; I get they didn't give a s**t about clearances to an extent but I feel like they could've used a few more inside grunt types to prevent what were some pretty inconsistent patches of form in the H&A season last few years. This type of get raises our floor for sure.

Don't mind it. A solid depth option and we seem to have improved kicking across the list this past year (with blokes like Langdon, Brayshaw, Viney becoming pretty reliable). We tanked 17th for disposal efficiency this season anyway so I guess hack kicks are our bread and butter.

El Gringo

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
There’s everything to like about this signing, he’s undeniably AFL level, we gave up nothing to get him and he’s on a cheap contract.

He’s a competitive beast too so he will be banging the door down trying to get selected, not sitting around waiting for an injury. Great start to trade week.

Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
His best is exceptional, not sure why they are getting rid of him. I believe his kicking is a worry though. But would be great if that could get sorted so his kicking is at least acceptable.

The midfield setup they have is questionable at this point in time, so this feels unusual.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
His best is exceptional, not sure why they are getting rid of him. I believe his kicking is a worry though. But would be great if that could get sorted so his kicking is at least acceptable.

The midfield setup they have is questionable at this point in time, so this feels unusual.
I will back Choco to get his kicking up to standard.

Xhoquelin

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Charlotte Hornets
I liked the point made in the article in The Age... Dunstan is a hangover cure for our midfield brigade.

It says to our premiership winners: "If you are complacent over summer, you lose your spot to this bloke who is hungry for success".
Yep, think Rupert Wills for the Magpies after 2018(obv didn't actually win the flag but came in and cemented a spot for a year playing very hard around the footy); Eagles probably lacked this type of player actually, Redden had a form slump in 2019 and he provided a lot of the grunt for that midfield unit.

JP2

Club Legend
Apr 7, 2003
Prague
AFL Club
Melbourne
Solid pick up. I'd guess we're backing Mark Williams to work with him and to improve his disposal, but even if he doesn't improve he's still a dependable backup. When you're in premiership contention you need a squad of at least 30 players who are ready to step in and play a role, and Dunstan is good enough to be part of that, regardless of his shortcomings. Viney is the kind of player who is liable to miss half of every season as well, so it's useful to have someone who is basically a like-for-like replacement. I'm still a bit surprised that the Saints let him go given his late season form, but admittedly his worst is pretty damn abysmal from what little I've noticed of him.

Back