#27 Luke Dunstan – retired

That’s what they said about Langdon

lol, yea, and one was free the other cost us a second rounder.

Not even close to the same player in any way. Terrible comparison

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Think people are also forgetting that we lost Jones, Jetta to retirement and delisted Lockhart Neitschke and AVB

We don't * all draft picks, Dunstan averaged 25 disposals in the Bach half of the year. Competition for Harmes Jordan etc as the depth defensive mid. Bloody great pickup imo.

Pedantic

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not sure how to feel about this. I wish player contracts were public like in the US, if he's cheap then I'm OK with it but if we're paying even the average/median wage I don't think it's worth it.

Not sure how to feel about this. I wish player contracts were public like in the US, if he's cheap then I'm OK with it but if we're paying even the average/median wage I don't think it's worth it.

2 years, I highly doubt its anything significant.

I love how people talk about player contracts and lengths like they have any idea how it works on the inside, and get themselves worked up about an extra year on a deal or an extra $50k or whatever. It’s all meaningless, none of this stuff works like it does for us common folk. It’s the same logic as media getting worked up about governments running ur surpluses or deficits, and having zero understanding about what it means.

Pedantic

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
I love how people talk about player contracts and lengths like they have any idea how it works on the inside, and get themselves worked up about an extra year on a deal or an extra $50k or whatever. It’s all meaningless, none of this stuff works like it does for us common folk. It’s the same logic as media getting worked up about governments running ur surpluses or deficits, and having zero understanding about what it means.
Of course no one has any idea, none of the info is public, the journalists who do put up contract figures are just guessing, and the AFL is often deliberately vague to the public about what does and doesn't count towards the cap.

Compare with the NBA for example where all the contracts are public and the rules are public and it creates a much more insightful discussion about whether a signing/contract is a good or bad deal for a team -- at the time and in hindsight. And that's with a soft cap and some billionaire owners who are willing to pay a fortune in luxury tax to go over the cap, it would be even more interesting in the AFL with the hard cap we have.

Of course no one has any idea, none of the info is public, the journalists who do put up contract figures are just guessing, and the AFL is often deliberately vague to the public about what does and doesn't count towards the cap.

Compare with the NBA for example where all the contracts are public and the rules are public and it creates a much more insightful discussion about whether a signing/contract is a good or bad deal for a team -- at the time and in hindsight. And that's with a soft cap and some billionaire owners who are willing to pay a fortune in luxury tax to go over the cap, it would be even more interesting in the AFL with the hard cap we have.

agree, would make it far better and easier to understand certain trades etc, I use sportrac all the time when looking over NFL contracts, all the details are there, Makes it easy to understand imo.

nacnud

motw
Dec 3, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Excellent get, we don't have a lot of inside midfield depth.
Sparrow, Vin, Clarry are the get it at the coalface types and Trac can do that too...didn't view inside grunt midfielder as an area of need at all

I swear there’s only two types of Melbourne supporters: those who reckon we have too much inside mid depth and those who think we don’t have enough.

Dogga6

All Australian
May 11, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Let's be honest, the poor bloke has come from one of the worst cultures going around. St Kilda are absolutely rubbish and it hasn't exactly set the world on fire in terms of developing players.

I mean they prefer Zak Jones over this bloke for christ sake.

Hes a great get imo and already I'd have him ahead of Jordon.

I liked the point made in the article in The Age... Dunstan is a hangover cure for our midfield brigade.

It says to our premiership winners: "If you are complacent over summer, you lose your spot to this bloke who is hungry for success".
If that is the case, than that is genius from the club

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Think people are also forgetting that we lost Jones, Jetta to retirement and delisted Lockhart Neitschke and AVB

We don't fu** all draft picks, Dunstan averaged 25 disposals in the Bach half of the year. Competition for Harmes Jordan etc as the depth defensive mid. Bloody great pickup imo.

Yep, great cover for our midfield and at minimum he will push the current midfield to not get complacent or possibly even replace one

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks

We don't fu** all draft picks, Dunstan averaged 25 disposals in the Bach half of the year. Competition for Harmes Jordan etc as the depth defensive mid. Bloody great pickup imo.
explore-bach-hands-painting.jpg

Reckon Journalists usually get contract figures from player managers who always oversell their contracts as it helps their business. You almost never hear about contracts where a player is supposedly getting unders.

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne

Good interview with Luke. Accepts that he could be playing in the 2s, but isn't just taking the contract to do that, both he and the club think he can still improve and play AFL despite our current midfield depth.

I kind of love the hubris, but people are kidding themselves if they think this bloke is a gem who didn’t get a fair go at St Kilda. His limitations held him back more than anything.

Back