Toast Welcome Matthew Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep going real early .

But nothing to lose , the beauty of taking mature players is you will know pretty early
in their career direction it is going , hopefully upwards.

The downside is that their ceilin usually isn’t much higher than what they show in the first season. That being said we should know early on how he’ll turn out.

lets lower our expectations just a little ... its really easy to get over excited and when it turns out differantly feel all bitter about it ... for Parker first step is getting to AFL fitness then we will see what falls for him ... Nicky Winmar was a once in a generation player for Parker to get anywhere near that is a long shot .. but he most certainly can become the best version of Matt Parker and that can become a big deal for our team ... lets set an expectation of just becoming a AFL considered player for us before we start linking him to our hall of famers

Very sad.

That rant he went on via Facebook was telling. Called Fyfe up himself which is true & basically said it’s a drug culture at Freo
Was that actually he who wrote that message though? I thought it was accepted that someone had used his phone to smear him. I think I must be very gullible.

lets lower our expectations just a little ... its really easy to get over excited and when it turns out differantly feel all bitter about it ... for Parker first step is getting to AFL fitness then we will see what falls for him ... Nicky Winmar was a once in a generation player for Parker to get anywhere near that is a long shot .. but he most certainly can become the best version of Matt Parker and that can become a big deal for our team ... lets set an expectation of just becoming a AFL considered player for us before we start linking him to our hall of famers

The point of my post was there was little fanfare for Winmar when he was picked up. No one rated him to any great extent. I never said Parker was as good as Winmar nor would live up to thst standard. Read it again. I wrote that he reminded me of Winmar, and gave some solid reasons for that.

In your haste to have a crack, you missed the point. Over arousal of your prefrontal cortex will do that to a bloke. Temper your own expectations, if you like. I didn't say what mine were of Matthew. I hope he's a cracking player and I think he will be.

Like Churchill, St. Trav, you are welcome to set yourself low standards and consistently fail to meet them.;)

Was that actually he who wrote that message though? I thought it was accepted that someone had used his phone to smear him. I think I must be very gullible.
theres conflicting stories ... from it was him to it was a family member commenting on his behalf to it being a disgruntled freo player using him as a scapegoat to say what they were to chicken to say to it being a set up by the club to justify their actions ...
either way it was a sad state of affairs

I must admit, Tommy Wigs, there was a slight "Wayne's World" reaction when i first saw his highlights reel. I'm only human. If hid head's right, we've got a beauty, methinks. Well done, Libba Gags and crew.
Party time, excellent? Or “are you mental?”.

Definitely looks to be the higher ceiling one, but could also take that little bit longer to fit his way in.

The point of my post was there was little fanfare for Winmar when he was picked up. No one rated him to any great extent. I never said Parker was as good as Winmar nor would live up to thst standard. Read it again. I wrote that he reminded me of Winmar, and gave some solid reasons for that.

In your haste to have a crack, you missed the point. Over arousal of your prefrontal cortex will do that to a bloke. Temper your own expectations, if you like. I didn't say what mine were of Matthew. I hope he's a cracking player and I think he will be.

Like Churchill, St. Trav, you are welcome to set yourself low standards and consistently fail to meet them.;)
that was certainly not me having a crack at you just you need to be mindful that some people see a linking to one of our all time greats (even in the innocent way you have) and take it as a given he is the second coming of one of our greatest ever ... and when he predictably falls short of reaching that get disgruntled at the club for "not developing him to be the next Winmar/Dusty......" take a read of our similar threads from 2013 we have people comparing Stanley as the next Rooey ... i do get what you are saying how Nicky came to be at our club is in part similar as the way Parker but from that note it could be seen as he has come to our club in a similar way as Ross Tungatalum came to the club , one went on to become a hall of famer the other didnt ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

that was certainly not me having a crack at you just you need to be mindful that some people see a linking to one of our all time greats (even in the innocent way you have) and take it as a given he is the second coming of one of our greatest ever ... and when he predictably falls short of reaching that get disgruntled at the club for "not developing him to be the next Winmar/Dusty......" take a read of our similar threads from 2013 we have people comparing Stanley as the next Rooey ... i do get what you are saying how Nicky came to be at our club is in part similar as the way Parker but from that note it could be seen as he has come to our club in a similar way as Ross Tungatalum came to the club , one went on to become a hall of famer the other didnt ...

I doubt anyone, as potentially good as Ross was, ever compared him to Winmar. Anyhoo, I think Parker is a beauty and could be something special. Speculation only at this stage. The parallels between Nicky and MP are there. We can only hope he's half as good as Neil Elvis. If he ends up as that, it means Nicky will have been twice as good as him. In the meantime, allow me to enjoy a bit of Schwing time. We've had little to enthuse about this year. I'm sorry if I've angried up the blood of anyone, but this kid has me genuinely excited.

Behind King, there seems to be more excitement for this guy than any of our other draftees.

I'm not sold on him yet, but considering where he was playing footy two years ago there's still plenty of room for improvement.

He seems like he's really thankful for his opportunity and he's going to try to grab it with two hands.

Behind King, there seems to be more excitement for this guy than any of our other draftees.

I'm not sold on him yet, but considering where he was playing footy two years ago there's still plenty of room for improvement.

He seems like he's really thankful for his opportunity and he's going to try to grab it with two hands.

Nah Robbie Young & followed by Wilkie for me , no expectation just think they can play
and existing players better watch out these guys are hungry .

Nah Robbie Young & followed by Wilkes for me , no expectation just think they can play
and existing players better watch out these guys are hungry .
Wilkie looks like a bloody good prospect doesn't he. He would have been playing AFL footy last year in the form he was in. I can't really understand how he made it to the rookie draft.

Not that sold on Young though, just doesn't find enough of the footy to get me too excited. I think he's most likely there as a role playing pressure forward.

Wilkie looks like a bloody good prospect doesn't he. He would have been playing AFL footy last year in the form he was in. I can't really understand how he made it to the rookie draft.

Not that sold on Young though, just doesn't find enough of the footy to get me too excited. I think he's most likely there as a role playing pressure forward.

Small forwards tend to suffer from supply shortages and need someone to feed them, they often get better in better sides. You see more small forwards scoring in AFL than VFL. Mav Weller was pretty low in possession this year. He was there to pressure, if he does that the coaches should like him.

Not building expectation but one of the best small forwards in the game.

C Rioli Avg. 9 kicks a game.

Don’t want anything but speed , pressure & tackles something Stkilda have lacked for years.

Reckon a few will have to crawl over Kent to get a game.

Who? Oh yeah that guy we traded for...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back