Welcome Welcome Max Knobel!! - Pick 42 in the 2022 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

It must be a little bitter sweet for someone like Maxy K to get picked to go to an AFL list but also know the guys you're behind on the depth chart aren't going anywhere, are almost your age and so injuries will be your most likely path in to the top team. With both Darcy and Jackson very likely to have at least 7 or so years left (touch wood) you're mind set would be tested early and often.

Obviously the best thing to do is to throw yourself in to the pro environment and learn all you can from the top level and then dominate at the lower level. If you do that then you're a chance of getting the Meek outcome which he so richly deserved. It must be challenging at times to have that as the likely best outcome for you though. Knowing your performance won't be the main trigger for your selection or otherwise.

Obviously there are thousands of kids who'd kill for his spot and you wouldn't swap with any of them if you're Max so it shouldn't be hard to maintain the drive and commitment. But I do think we've seen less Lloyd Meek's and Tom Hickey's over the years than we have of guys who get the chance but don't stick around and continue to work at it for a long time as a known backup the way those guys did before getting the main shot at it.

Having said that if he keeps taking hangers like the one he did today and pairs it with good ruck work he'll be targeted much more quickly. That was a very handy grab.

It must be a little bitter sweet for someone like Maxy K to get picked to go to an AFL list but also know the guys you're behind on the depth chart aren't going anywhere, are almost your age and so injuries will be your most likely path in to the top team. With both Darcy and Jackson very likely to have at least 7 or so years left (touch wood) you're mind set would be tested early and often.

Obviously the best thing to do is to throw yourself in to the pro environment and learn all you can from the top level and then dominate at the lower level. If you do that then you're a chance of getting the Meek outcome which he so richly deserved. It must be challenging at times to have that as the likely best outcome for you though. Knowing your performance won't be the main trigger for your selection or otherwise.

Obviously there are thousands of kids who'd kill for his spot and you wouldn't swap with any of them if you're Max so it shouldn't be hard to maintain the drive and commitment. But I do think we've seen less Lloyd Meek's and Tom Hickey's over the years than we have of guys who get the chance but don't stick around and continue to work at it for a long time as a known backup the way those guys did before getting the main shot at it.

Having said that if he keeps taking hangers like the one he did today and pairs it with good ruck work he'll be targeted much more quickly. That was a very handy grab.

He's very mobile

Injuries happen. Give him a few years and he could be a great combo with Jackson or Darcey if either are injured.

The kids a stick and needs to add some strength. I really liked what I saw though

Knobel peace prize needs a few years working away at league level. He is a good pick-up and take his time developing along in the WAFL. We selected him for the future. Reidy is the reidy to go mature body. He won’t be afforded the same latitude (ie development time) as Knobel and has a body able to compete at afl level in the event of injury to one of our Ruck combo.

Honestly just getting picked as a ruck is massive, he would know he is years off as an 18 year old so now he will be given atleast 4 years here to develop, then if he is performing at the lower level he is almost guaranteed a shot at another club due to the constant ruck merry-go-round

If he is a good kick for goal and has good hands, why not experiment with him as a forward? He is only 4cm taller than the King twins.
This. Also I can see Reidy as a big forward possibly.
I will campaign on this now that “Logue to the midfield“ cannot happen ( for us anyway😜)

Knobel's role is dependent on how Jackson gets used for now, but given we also have Reidy and perhaps Benning, the value development route for him is as a forward.

Yeh not sure this king’s comparisons are really fair… the leap no way either!

Watch him do a number on Andy and leave the rest in dust. Serious athletes the Kings

Maxie seems more like a Darcy Cameron type or more mobile Witts

Last edited:

Watch him do a number on Andy and leave the rest in dust. Serious athletes the Kings

If knobel moved like the king's, he would have gone pick 1

He may be a handy ruck in time but visions of him in the forwardline aren't as likely imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't saying he'll be as good forward as the kings. I was stating he is 6cm taller and has a good leap. While resting forward he could pose a serious threat at wafl level as it would be very hard to spoil him if the mid kick it above his eye level.

I wasn't saying he'll be as good forward as the kings. I was stating he is 6cm taller and has a good leap. While resting forward he could pose a serious threat at wafl level as it would be very hard to spoil him if the mid kick it above his eye level.
That's true. I hope we don't do too much of just dropping it high and long on his head though. A young big guy standing under a high ball whilst others come through and jump all over him is not going to be great. Tall guys still need to be given a run at it to be most effective.

That's true. I hope we don't do too much of just dropping it high and long on his head though. A young big guy standing under a high ball whilst others come through and jump all over him is not going to be great. Tall guys still need to be given a run at it to be most effective.
Our history might be a little different if kicking to a leading tall forward was our strong suite.

There is no doubt that the club liked some aspects of what Lobb brought. Knobel looks like he might cause some havoc forward with that leap and height, and if he can do that on a lead he can find himself on the end of a long AFL career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back