Past Michael Talia - delisted 2017, thanks for the memories

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't expect to see Grundy done until the end of 2018 at least. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get through to 2019. He's been fit & healthy throughout his career. We don't need him for his speed/acceleration as much as we did Teddy/Marty IMO. He shouldn't lose too much in the wrestle or in the air. I'm bullish on him holding up for 3 more years.

The longer Grunds can stick around the better IMO, particularly as Talia comes along with him (eventually replacing him).
I'm putting my faith in Maibaum to break into the squad by then. Hopefully he carries on with his AA form!

The fact that the impressive Maibaum was recruited might indicate that a decision has been made on Talia already. Line in the sand thing
I can see Maibaum, Talia, Rampe, Aliir all in the same backline in 5 years time. Maibaum as a direct Grundy replacement

Yes I can see that but maybe Reid will be a defender in the longer term rather than a forward. He seems to play much better in defence
Hmmmm think I'd be disappointed if that eventuated.

Hmmmm think I'd be disappointed if that eventuated.
This X 100. Reid off wing delivering to the forwards or CHF and giving the mids another target/slotting them on the run from 55.

The fact that the impressive Maibaum was recruited might indicate that a decision has been made on Talia already. Line in the sand thing

Unfortunately I think it might be more of a reflection on Mellican and his progress. Shame, as I think he has a fair bit of potential. Or of course Maibaum was just best available?

Talia was brought in as cheap ready made back up last year - even though he's been overtaken by Aliir, we still need cheap ready made back up this year. IMO he's in a 3 horse race with Mellican and Maibaum. He has the AFL ready body but costs more and is older which could either be a positive or a negative depending on how you look at it.

I might have the numbers wrong but for Talia we gave up a pick in the mid 70's (2016 draft) and received a pick in the late 60's (2015 draft) so he's a free hit as far as I'm concerned. He serves a purpose and we lose nothing if he fails his chance. Win-win for us.

Probably more a case of best available...Jack and Michael are fairly different types of defenders.

I met him a few weeks back at an opening for a social enterprise cafe being started by Whitelion, who Michael is an ambassador for. I've been working in partnership with Whitelion on other work that they do, so went out to support the opening and had a good chat with him. He didn't shy away from the fact that he had a bad 2016 and was pretty keen to prove to everyone that he was worth the faith the Swans showed him. Interestingly, he found the Grand Final a conflicting experience due to his connections with the Bulldogs, but was bitterly disappointed that we didn't nab the flag and was certainly miffed with the umpiring performance.

Anyways, I realised when I met him that he's actually quite a mature guy for his age (despite what his late-night escapades might suggest) and I've got nothing but positive hopes for him and his time with the club. Also, he's a big unit and would be great in the backline!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably got the quietest applause when getting his guernsey last night. Even Toby Pink who 98% of the audience would have no idea of who he is got a better reception (probably due to his height and red hair but I digress)

What's the story with Talia, seems like he is just making up the list numbers. Did the club lose faith after the drugs saga?
Yer not sure what's happening there. Even with all the early season injuries he didn't get a run so I'm thinking his papers are marked.
I haven't minded what I've seen of him in the reserves, but I seem to be in the minority here with that opinion.

What's the story with Talia, seems like he is just making up the list numbers. Did the club lose faith after the drugs saga?
I think it was more that he didn't fit into the culture of the club either. The Swans seemed more disappointed that he was out drinking and getting high when he should have been recovering rather than that he was caught doing something dodgy. Probably extended to his general attitude around the club as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back