Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
I have a vague recollection it was reported somewhere in the media that the club hired Voss on Hart's recommendation.
Michael Voss lured to Port Adelaide via assistant coach Shaun Hart

I find the criticism of Vossy as a coach interesting when some of the same people are evangelists of Stuey Dew and to a lesser extent Shaun Burgoyne as the answer to our coaching woes because they come from a "winning culture".

So a three time premiership captain and Brownlow medalist doesn't come from a winning culture? :huh:

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Oct 11, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was a strong advocate of us getting Brendan McCartney at the time and knew Goodwin would snap him up if we didn't. I reckon the club went for the PR coup of getting the great Michael Voss to move to Adelaide as much as any coaching nous he may have brought to the table.

Big headedness and arrogance. Coaches perhaps felt that we were close to the premiership with Ryder and that we would only need a guy who can motivate and had won multiple premierships before.

I was a strong advocate of us getting Brendan McCartney at the time and knew Goodwin would snap him up if we didn't. I reckon the club went for the PR coup of getting the great Michael Voss to move to Adelaide as much as any coaching nous he may have brought to the table.
Yep I wanted McCartney because he had over a decades experience of being a teaching assistant coach. When we got Voss initially I was a bit disappointed, but my hope was that he could inspire our mid fielders to raise their game to be as competitive as he was in getting first use of the footy. I'm not sure what hasn't happened to our midfielders since he took over.

I called out Voss early for lack of midfield structure. What I don't get is why another coach hasn't stepped in to support him. We continued to get killed in there.

Are we assigning blame to an easy target with Voss?
What is the evidence that he's not up to scratch?

Not saying he's great, I'm just genuinely interested to hear the theory behind it.

Not saying he's great, I'm just genuinely interested to hear the theory behind it.

Ancient-Aliens.jpg

Apr 27, 2002
2004 Premiers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers, Newcastle

Failed dismally as a senior coach. How did that qualify him as a top-notch candidate for assistant for us, I wonder?

Also, I remember seeing a video snippet of a selection meeting early on, where he was putting forth strong opinions. I thought to myself - he's just joined the place, as a failed coach - perhaps he should learn a bit more about the squad before trying to assert his influence so strongly. It seemed Ken was almost reverential towards him, and that rang alarm bells.

Not evidence as such, I know, and just anecdotal really, but still...

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I find it amusing how some on here believe we can pluck any successful coach anytime we want from any other club.
For a start any assistants we want have to be out of contract.
Secondly they have to want to come to what is a backwater in many of their eyes.

Sheesh even the criers couldn't tempt Worsfold with a senior gig and plenty of $$$$$$$

We are restricted by:
Who is available
Who is willing to uproot themselves and move here
How much we can pay them.
Get real folks.

Rexie J

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2012
YP
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Surely there is a fully integrated match plan and and each coach is responsible for implementing the agreed system. It's not possible they operate in isolation and do their own thing surely not. The point I'm stumbling to make is, if one (line:mad:) coach suggests a certain tactic, then it would have to be discussed, modified if necessary and finally given the nod by Ken.

Then again, being old school, i reckon there's way too many coaches, computer geeks etc. A senior coach with two support coaches - especially on game day - is my thought.

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The Vossy blame game is ridiculous. I agree that he hasn't got the results in the midfield we would've hoped for but I don't actually think it is lone area of our game that is breaking down. We aren't up to scratch across the board and if you are looking for a scapegoat shouldn't the buck stop with the senior coach?

Failed dismally as a senior coach. How did that qualify him as a top-notch candidate for assistant for us, I wonder?

What were his failures as a coach of Brisbane that have replicated themselves at Port?

He's the most obvious scapegoat beyond Ken.

We also became poo on field once he joined. Sure it's an association but we humans are fickle!

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
midfield structure is a big problem but team cohesion is a bigger one. the lines (def, fwd, mid) don't work well together at all. there's little system in any structure/methods outside our press. we probably haven't had the midfield unit of other teams in respect to ability or availability in the last few years so it could be hard to judge voss on that.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Also, I remember seeing a video snippet of a selection meeting early on, where he was putting forth strong opinions. I thought to myself - he's just joined the place, as a failed coach - perhaps he should learn a bit more about the squad before trying to assert his influence so strongly. It seemed Ken was almost reverential towards him, and that rang alarm bells.

Not evidence as such, I know, and just anecdotal really, but still...

Carn. Brett Ratten, Scott Waters, Brendan McCartney and Brenton Sanderson could all be said to have failed as senior coaches. Doesn't mean they aren't outstanding candidates for assistant coaching roles. This idea that you are finished in the industry once you don't experience success as the man in charge is silly.

I've been hesitant to jump on board the Voss bashing, because it's pretty hard to make a call like that and I guess not wanting to fall into the trap of insularity as it seemed a lot of the early criticism of him was apparently based on. But something clearly isn't working in our midfield, perhaps it's not Voss' fault but at the end of the day we need a change in either our approach or the personnel. It's been a bleak start to the year and to be honest feels depressingly inevitable that we're looking at another year of mediocrity and frustration.

Apr 27, 2002
2004 Premiers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers, Newcastle
Carn. Brett Ratten, Scott Waters, Brendan McCartney and Brenton Sanderson could all be said to have failed as senior coaches.
How many of them have proven to be good assistants, demonstrably? Brisbane didn't just repeatedly miss finals under Voss - they were bloody shocking. No, it doesn't _prove_ that he knows _nothing_ about coaching. But there's a bit of a stink. As I already admitted, it's not hard evidence. Just trying to explain why my gut says he's not much chop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back