Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dilbert principle refers to a 1990s theory by Dilbert cartoonist Scott Adams stating that companies tend to systematically promote their least competent employees to management (generally middle management), to limit the amount of damage they are capable of doing.

To be fair when you put people in roles you have to let them do their job, maybe Voss has to sit back and let Nicks do his role?
This is basically my point. I'm not saying for sure that Voss is a winner (I've actually made my thoughts on the loser mentality of coaches with lack of finals experience pretty vocal) but it's hard to place a lot of blame at his feet when he's near the bottom of the pecking order of coaches.

2013-15 Nicks was back line coach when one on one our defenders weren't actually that great and relied on midfield pressure and winning the territory battle to hold up defensively. 2016 he shifted to the forward line when we were mediocre in attack and hilariously out of synch defensively. 2017 he becomes senior assistant where our gameplan fails to hold up against the best teams and again this year when attack and defence are horribly out of synch together.

The evidence more points towards Nicks (and Hinkley, obviously) not being able to assist in incorporating "total football". We are rock solid in defence while being totally impotent in attack, or vice versa. This would suggest an inability to fully incorporate all line coaches into the gameplan - which would give an obvious excuse for Voss.

I just hope that they have identified the issues in the box regarding who is the best man for a particular role and not just doing the shuffle to make it look good.
Chrizzt makes some very good points here.

Last edited:

Listening to Kochie on radio this morning he said that Voss would step up in his role.

This can only mean that Voss is replacing Nicks as senior assistant.

I can't see any way that he is the best available in Australia for this role.

Why are we settling? Why so quickly?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
At least it gets him out of the midfield and hopefully means we are getting Schofield.

The Dilbert principle refers to a 1990s theory by Dilbert cartoonist Scott Adams stating that companies tend to systematically promote their least competent employees to management (generally middle management), to limit the amount of damage they are capable of doing.
That wouldn’t make sense though. If we thought he was totally incompetent we had a chance to get rid of him.

I honestly don't expect anything but crap like this to continue while we have the same crew running the Club - Koch, KT, Davies & Hinkley.

Nothing at all to suggest Voss has been anything but average at best while he's been with us but "hey, let's promote him".

Give it a week or so and Rucci will have another article suggesting we all just need to realise how lucky we are to not be completely s**t but to be in complete admiration of our leaders as we're now firmly entrenched in the 'only occasionally s**t' height of our dreams.

They must honestly believe that the majority of Port supporters have no knowledge or feel for the game and a few well placed words by senior figures or local sports journalists are all that's needed.

Don't worry about what we see, don't worry about results, just believe as we know best.

Insulting.

You know what will be really insulting? In 12 months Rucci will have an article about how Port play the lowest scoring, most unattractive football in the league and supporters are staying away in droves as the club disappears down the S-bend. And what did we as supporters do when we had the chance to stop this mediocrity? Why didn't we do something something constitution something something special general meeting something something? Why did we just stand by and accept this rot? We are all to blame. Not him, he tried to warn us. Cryptically. We were too dumb to read between the lines.

Personally I hope if Voss is to have more influence that means we will revert to a more old style Brisbane football that valued ruckmen and big key position forwards. I mean hope is all I have right now, right?

Even with the changes it still doesn't address the all of the issues.
We were in winning positions this season and still managed to lose, at that point do we blame leadership or the coaches.

I'd suggest it's a culmination.

Leaders follow coaches, coaches guided by fitness. I don't believe like yesteryear there is as much adlibbing with our group. Whether that is confidence, or coaching not sure.

Listening to Kochie on radio this morning he said that Voss would step up in his role.

This can only mean that Voss is replacing Nicks as senior assistant.

I can't see any way that he is the best available in Australia for this role.

Why are we settling? Why so quickly?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

As I said last week when Voss was given a new contract, it's because he'll the next the coach of the club. This senior role now confirms it.
We're in big big trouble!.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do people always assume that Voss sucks simply because our club as a whole has underperformed since he got here? To me, he comes across as clearly the most articulate and inspiring of our coaching staff. He's a triple premiership captain, has 5 years experience as a senior coach at AFL level and 4 years experience as an assistant in our system. I see no reason why he wouldn't make a good senior assistant.

Positive: hopefully the midfield is handed over to someone who can improve it.

Negative: we're promoting Voss, under whose guidance our midfield has stagnated or declined.

Why do people always assume that Voss sucks simply because our club as a whole has underperformed since he got here? To me, he comes across as clearly the most articulate and inspiring of our coaching staff. He's a triple premiership captain, has 5 years experience as a senior coach at AFL level and 4 years experience as an assistant in our system. I see no reason why he wouldn't make a good senior assistant.
Because he's had Ryder, Wines, Rockliff, Wingard, SPP, Ebert, Gray, Boak, Motlop, Polec at his disposal and we're 14th in clearance differential.

Yeah, far too little blame is ever leveled at the players.

The thing is...

Surely they're seeing the same s**t as us..

Maybe we are missing something and there's positives to this bloke behind the scenes that we don't see, like surely? How else would they be making these decisions.. from the outside it's insane.

Unless no1 else is interested and we are still cash strapped.

He's the 'Midfield Manager' and those metrics stink.

It's not like any of our onball unit have improved or are setting the world on fire since he got here either.

Wines has stagnated. Ebert is circling the plughole. Boak is in limbo. SPP can't get a game.

Apart from that, sure, he's on fire.

Because he's had Ryder, Wines, Rockliff, Wingard, SPP, Ebert, Gray, Boak, Motlop, Polec at his disposal and we're 14th in clearance differential.

You can make numbers say whatever you want them to say. I'm sure all of Nathan Bassett's KPIs suggest we should be winning the flag in a canter rather than missing finals. We have a clear weak point in our team and it's not the midfield.

Yeah, far too little blame is ever leveled at the players.

It's the whole chicken and egg thing isn't it. Players before coaches or coaches before players?

Players not running hard it's the players. Players who dont' run hard enough for long enough that keep getting selected, it's the coaches. If the coaches know a reason why they can't run hard enough, then perhaps it's the fitness program!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back