Michael Voss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not generally one for big hot take statements, but a fully fit Robbie Gray combined with Paddy Ryder as sole ruck will be the new Lade/Burgoyne, but better. Bookmark it.

Bump

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Bring the umpire hats back!

---

P.S.: Voss was a monster!

Voss was the leader of a team of monsters. When you get the chance Gremio, watch some games or highlights of that early 2000s Brisbane team. Unbelievable levels of skill, strength and mental intimidation across the board.

We stopped them from winning what would have been a record equaling 4th premiership in a row back in 2004 and we don't get enough credit for it (the media, led by their coach at the time, has constructed some ex post facto bullshit argument about injuries/age/travel to discredit our performance on the day, despite them going into the game red hot favourites).

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Voss was the leader of a team of monsters. When you get the chance Gremio, watch some games or highlights of that early 2000s Brisbane team. Unbelievable levels of skill, strength and mental intimidation across the board.

We stopped them from winning what would have been a record equaling 4th premiership in a row back in 2004 and we don't get enough credit for it (the media, led by their coach at the time, has constructed some ex post facto bullshit argument about injuries/age/travel to discredit our performance on the day, despite them going into the game red hot favourites).

The AFL did screw us by making us play what should have been a home prelim at the MCG. Describing it as ex post facto isn't fair either, plenty of noise was made about it in the buildup to the prelim against Geelong.

No discrediting of Port from me though. You were the better team on the day and outperformed us to a degree that exceeded any unfair disadvantages we had.

The AFL did screw us by making us play what should have been a home prelim at the MCG. Describing it as ex post facto isn't fair either, plenty of noise was made about it in the buildup to the prelim against Geelong.

No discrediting of Port from me though. You were the better team on the day and outperformed us to a degree that exceeded any unfair disadvantages we had.
Us ******* up in 2002 and 2003 delayed any "home" MCG Prelim final by 2 years. Karma

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Us ******* up in 2002 and 2003 delayed any "home" MCG Prelim final by 2 years. Karma

I'm not sure I see the logic in that, but footy is an emotional game I guess, not a logical one.

I'm not sure I see the logic in that, but footy is an emotional game I guess, not a logical one.
If we actually won our home QF's in 2002 and 2003 having finished top and ahead of Brisbane, you would have had to play a home PF at the MCG and had to deal with unfair home MCG PF issue in 2002 and 2003 if they didn't change it. Karma is that you finally faced in 2004 what you should have 2 years earlier.

If we actually won our home QF's in 2002 and 2003 having finished top and ahead of Brisbane, you would have had to play a home PF at the MCG and had to deal with unfair home MCG PF issue in 2002 and 2003 if they didn't change it. Karma is that you finally faced in 2004 what you should have 2 years earlier.

True for 2002 but Brisbane lost to Collingwood in their QF in 2003 so it wouldn't have impacted that year regardless.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

Yeah I get what you were trying to say, but with all due respect, I think we can put the onus of losing a game on the team itself.

Otherwise anyone could claim they were rightful premiers in a given year "if only..." or couldn't I just say you unfairly won the 2004 GF because we "****ed up"?

As I said earlier, you earned the 2004 GF win, but we shouldn't give the AFL a free pass for what was a grossly unfair system to non-Victorian teams at the time. It probably wasn't the difference in the end but if a couple of results went differently that year, you could have been equally screwed over.

True for 2002 but Brisbane lost to Collingwood in their QF in 2003 so it wouldn't have impacted that year regardless.
I knew there was a reason ticking away at the back of my memory why I initially wrote or 2003, before changing it to and.

Yeah I get what you were trying to say, but with all due respect, I think we can put the onus of losing a game on the team itself.

Otherwise anyone could claim they were rightful premiers in a given year "if only..." or couldn't I just say you unfairly won the 2004 GF because we "****** up"?

As I said earlier, you earned the 2004 GF win, but we shouldn't give the AFL a free pass for what was a grossly unfair system to non-Victorian teams at the time. It probably wasn't the difference in the end but if a couple of results went differently that year, you could have been equally screwed over.
Being forced to play a home PF at the MCG by a dopey rule, is a big If only though, compared to other if only's.

The lions team of the early 2000s was basically an AA lineup. Incredible skill and talent on every line.
Best spine I've ever seen in footy - Michael, Leppitsch, Voss, Brown, Lynch. How Mal Michael never won an all Oz selection has me beat.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
The lions team of the early 2000s was basically an AA lineup. Incredible skill and talent on every line.

The interesting thing was that was an era where they seemed to spread the AA love around a bit more, compared to a few years later when the premiership side got overrepresented (I mean seriously.... Cam Mooney and Nick Maxwell got All Australians ffs... yet guns integral to their club's premierships like Mal Michael and Chad Cornes didn't).

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
How Mal Michael never won an all Oz selection has me beat.

Because some genius decided to name Matthew Pavlich as 2002 All-Australian fullback because he surprised people by not totally sucking in defence that year.

Because some genius decided to name Matthew Pavlich as 2002 All-Australian fullback because he surprised people by not totally sucking in defence that year.
Yes Gerard Healy had unconditional love for Pav and too much sway on the selection panel, probably because he was the only 1 of the 7 based Vic selection panel members who would watch Pav in Perth. He stuck him at FB in 2002 even though he never played there. Did the same with Pav and Tredrea in 2005 at CHF. Tredders had a better 2005 than 2004 in all stat categories except for goal conversion, it slipped back a bit after a great 2004.

GreyPower

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2014
PAFC
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Makes me laugh Brisbane officials & supporters complaining about this issue given all the benefits/concessions the AFL has given them over the years.

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

83,000 posts!! Woah

Best spine I've ever seen in footy - Michael, Leppitsch, Voss, Brown, Lynch. How Mal Michael never won an all Oz selection has me beat.

Not to mention Simon Black. If you're looking at pure skill and footy smarts, he might be one of the best midfielders to have played the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back