Welcome Welcome National Draft Pick #13 - Jordan Gallucci

Remove this Banner Ad

Not yet it isn't, but with ball in hand I have more confidence in Gooch to deliver it on a consistent basis.
Not this year you wouldn't, some of Charlie's pin point delivery this year is next level, 2 of Charlie's forward passes yesterday were incredibly precise to players in tight situations, both resulting in goals. Charlie's kicking to position has improved 200% this year, it's almost like you're looking at a different player. There's several of our players I'd love to get hold of Charlie's new found kicking formula.

Not this year you wouldn't, some of Charlie's pin point delivery this year is next level, 2 of Charlie's forward passes yesterday were incredibly precise to players in tight situations, both resulting in goals. Charlie's kicking to position has improved 200% this year, it's almost like you're looking at a different player. There's several of our players I'd love to get hold of Charlie's new found kicking formula.
Actually I was going to add that to my post !!! His kicking is the biggest improvement of all, now he can get away with kicking it 5 times because they're all hitting someone.

I am not sure why people are surprised by this. Charlie is hitting that age where he is starting to improve rapidly and once he hits his prime, he will be a star. He is arguably the best two way forward in the AFL. His defensive pressure is elite and his impact on the scoreboard is up there as well.

We have lost a pretty darn good player here but in the end, I think you would take Charlie for Fogarty swap every time. That says more about the type of player that Fogarty can become than it does about Charlie who is going to be a star.

I am not sure why people are surprised by this. Charlie is hitting that age where he is starting to improve rapidly and once he hits his prime, he will be a star. He is arguably the best two way forward in the AFL. His defensive pressure is elite and his impact on the scoreboard is up there as well.

We have lost a pretty darn good player here but in the end, I think you would take Charlie for Fogarty swap every time. That says more about the type of player that Fogarty can become than it does about Charlie who is going to be a star.
His pressure numbers seem to have dropped off a ton this year. His high in 2018 is 15, while he was averaging mid 20's for us last year, but that probably explains why his around the ground work and kicking is so much better. He's not as exhausted from chasing guys around the forward 50 all day and doing 200 metre sprints from the back of the square at ballups.

Not sure why but I've always liked the look of Gooch since his first pre-season game last year.

Really liking his development. Has great vision and an ability to deliver by foot in ways that are outside the box. Was a bit worried his kick was not that long given in his first few games he seemed to be going more the short pass, but the past few games he's shown the ability to kick long to advantage (eg the long kick to Thor in the Eagles game).

Feel like his speed is such that he should be a bit better at defending - got turned inside out a couple time last night, but when he hits a tackle he sticks it. Also that mark in the last quarter was a nice sign of class. Similar to the Sydney game - when the heat was on to win the game he stood up last night in the last quarter.

Bit like Milera, the key will be getting more touches, but he sure as heck belongs.

Very good signs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved his second goal. That was all class. That burst speed is going to take him to a bonafide AFL career.

Want him to stick some tackles and run down a few more players.

The difference last night was we managed to kick 100+ points. 5 goals from Gooch and Murphy was massive. 9 between those two and Lynch. The structural difference of not playing too tall and slow works for us. I just hope we don’t revert back.

Want him to stick some tackles and run down a few more players.

I'm regularly amazed at players running past the ball carrier rather than tackling. Gooch did it when Duncan kicked that last quarter goal.

Reckon some of this is trained as part of zone pressure schemes.

Meanwhile I'm shouting "go for the man son"

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I'm regularly amazed at players running past the ball carrier rather than tackling. Gooch did it when Duncan kicked that last quarter goal.

I saw Milera do this also. *shakes head

I think Gallucci’s kicking is very very good. Much better than I expected coming into the year based on seeing him a couple of times.

He measures the kick to leading players beautifully, and he can kick it low and fast when needed.

His goalkicking has been consistently good, on both feet.

That said his defensive work needs improvement. He buzzes around ineffectually like an insect. Opponents just brush him off or ignore him.

It’s his second year so he has time to lift his defensive power from bad to okay. I doubt it will ever be a strength but that’s fine, different players contribute different things to a team.

If he can pressure and tackle with a bit more force - then with his work rate and his kicking we will have a very handy two way wingman.

Overall I’ve been surprised and have enjoyed his improvement so far this year.

I think Gallucci’s kicking is very very good. Much better than I expected coming into the year based on seeing him a couple of times.

He measures the kick to leading players beautifully, and he can kick it low and fast when needed.

His goalkicking has been consistently good, on both feet.

That said his defensive work needs improvement. He buzzes around ineffectually like an insect. Opponents just brush him off or ignore him.

It’s his second year so he has time to lift his defensive power from bad to okay. I doubt it will ever be a strength but that’s fine, different players contribute different things to a team.

If he can pressure and tackle with a bit more force - then with his work rate and his kicking we will have a very handy two way wingman.

Overall I’ve been surprised and have enjoyed his improvement so far this year.

I have a feeling that it is just a matter of Gallucci not having the confidence to bring down AFL bodies yet. It'll come and once it does he'll blossom into an above average defensive player.

For reference with that, Gallucci numbers tackle wise were very good in the SANFL last and this year (multiple games of 6+ including one where he hit 14).

I have a feeling that it is just a matter of Gallucci not having the confidence to bring down AFL bodies yet. It'll come and once it does he'll blossom into an above average defensive player.

For reference with that, Gallucci numbers tackle wise were very good in the SANFL last and this year (multiple games of 6+ including one where he hit 14).
Pre-judging without having seen those SANFL games - I’d love to see stats on the effectiveness of defensive actions.

For example:

Pressure act = some attempt to apply pressure

Pressure act effectiveness = reduction in disposal efficiency of the person you are pressuring

I would take a wild stab that Gallucci’s defensive effectiveness is poor, while Charles’s would be elite.

This year Charles averaged 2.5 tackles and Gallucci has averaged 2.4 so far.

Same number of tackles and pressure acts - but different results.

Either that or my eye test is just way off and Gallucci is defensively comparable to Charles because the stats say so...but I don’t think so

This was where he ran back into the 50 to fill a hole right? Instead of going towards Duncan? That was the wrong decision and I'm sure it will get brought up in his review. Shows his inexperience.

Pre-judging without having seen those SANFL games - I’d love to see stats on the effectiveness of defensive actions.

For example:

Pressure act = some attempt to apply pressure

Pressure act effectiveness = reduction in disposal efficiency of the person you are pressuring

I would take a wild stab that Gallucci’s defensive effectiveness is poor, while Charles’s would be elite.

This year Charles averaged 2.5 tackles and Gallucci has averaged 2.4 so far.

Same number of tackles and pressure acts - but different results.

Either that or my eye test is just way off and Gallucci is defensively comparable to Charles because the stats say so...but I don’t think so
His tackling when he hits them are good - laid a beauty in the 3rd quarter from memory. Does seem to get a bit lost though defensively. But I think that will come with experience and getting the pace of the game compared to SANFL - plus the confidence to go for the tackle rather than maybe corralling

Remove this Banner Ad

Back