Welcome Welcome National Draft Pick #13 - Jordan Gallucci

Remove this Banner Ad

My guess on Berry if we drafted him is he'd be back in Victoria already. Lions drafted his brother partly to try and keep him up there long-term.
He’s country vic though isn’t he?... its the metro lads that are the greatest concern.

And we could’ve done the “lets draft his bro in” thing too..

Yeah, I want Gooch to get a clear run at the midfield at some point this season. If he chooses to leave after, it either tells us its the right decision, we'll recoup more because of some good form, or we've found one answer.

So far, he's had a career of being set up to fail (seeing we've refused to give a midfield prospect a lot of midfield minutes) and failing.

Last edited:
Hang on isn't money ball all about sabremetrics?

Isn't it all about using numbers and stats to measure exactly what you need for a particular position and chasing that attribute and player regardless of where they are drafted/traded?

At least that's how I understand Moneyball.

I hear it bandied around in AFL to refer to a speculative pick.

Yes, and no.

It's all about using sabermetrics to bring players in who will fit your needs in cheaply, or to trade players out who are showing signs of regression/overperforming before it tanks their value. All about a creative way a small market team (Oakland) trying to bridge the gap in the same division as the evil empire (Yankees). The key is cheap relative to performance. As an example, us paying a first round pick for Gallucci isn't Moneyball because whilst it was assumed he'd fit our system (seeing we desperately need midfielders with pace, oh how things change), we paid a rather big price for it. Someone like Paul Seedsman could be considered it as we've got an output far greater than the 2nd round pick we paid (as much as it has regressed this season).

Doedee was great talent identification, but he's more a recruiter flexing with his talent ID then a genuine money ball pick. After all, we did spend a 1st round pick on him, hardly cheap.

And there are no games happening in the ressies and he isn't getting picked in the firsts... so he could do with a paddle bout now.
Think they'll be playing more scratch matches, at least while we're in the QLD hub

I'd like to see us give Gallucci one last proper, genuine chance at an AFL spot.

Not every player is able to just turn it on in the first year and become a star. Jy Simpkin was taken earlier than Gallucci in the same draft and only late last year, after 50 odd games, did he start looking any good.

The difference between us with Gallucci and Simpkin at North is North backed him in. Simpkin has two basically uninterrupted AFL seasons under his belt now. Gallucci hasn't had more than 10 games in a row and has half the total games played at AFL level.

He needs a proper shot being played in position (not on the half forward flank) before we just discard him and waste our first round pick

I'd like to see us give Gallucci one last proper, genuine chance at an AFL spot.

Not every player is able to just turn it on in the first year and become a star. Jy Simpkin was taken earlier than Gallucci in the same draft and only late last year, after 50 odd games, did he start looking any good.

The difference between us with Gallucci and Simpkin at North is North backed him in. Simpkin has two basically uninterrupted AFL seasons under his belt now. Gallucci hasn't had more than 10 games in a row and has half the total games played at AFL level.

He needs a proper shot being played in position (not on the half forward flank) before we just discard him and waste our first round pick
Apparently he was pretty solid in the scratch match.

We know he's capable of some good AFL level footy, and we will be better off for giving him a chance and finding out if it's still there

Yeah i'm with you. I think he was called out pretty harshly, but also fairly before round 1.

That kind of public blast can have 2 effects on a kid, knock him down for the count, or set him on a F-U course of redemption. I have a sneaky feeling that he's going to make his way back into the team and shock all the people who have crowned him as their 2020 whipping boy.

On the back of that, as of this week would you prefer to see a starting midfield of Gooch-MCrouch-Poholke or MCrouch-BCrouch-Sloane?

Yeah i'm with you. I think he was called out pretty harshly, but also fairly before round 1.

That kind of public blast can have 2 effects on a kid, knock him down for the count, or set him on a F-U course of redemption. I have a sneaky feeling that he's going to make his way back into the team and shock all the people who have crowned him as their 2020 whipping boy.

On the back of that, as of this week would you prefer to see a starting midfield of Gooch-MCrouch-Poholke or MCrouch-BCrouch-Sloane?

He was dropped last year after being concussed in a game; didn’t make sense then.

I’d rather MCrouch, Smith and Milera.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could replace Gallucci with a lot of names of our current and former players sadly.

Yeah that could be it for him. Misses most of next year too.

My guess on Berry if we drafted him is he'd be back in Victoria already. Lions drafted his brother partly to try and keep him up there long-term.
You obviously don't know Jarrod or Tommy Berry very well...Both high character lads, both captained the Rebels U18's and as loyal as the day is long.

Gallucci's moustache doesn't look as ridiculous when accompanied by a beard.

He actually looks like a normal, functioning adult now.

I'd be ok with him taking the one year deal we had originally lined up for D Mac

I'd be ok with him taking the one year deal we had originally lined up for D Mac
I'd only offer him a rookie spot with the likelihood at least 2 - 4 rookie spots are still going to be available whatever the main list becomes...I suspect 38 and 2 - 4 rookie spots. Given he's unlikely to play much or indeed no football in 2021 that would be a reasonable outcome for both parties, if he won't come at that trade/delist.

Can't say I really rated him from what he's shown on the field to date yet at the same time, I don't really want to give up on a first round selection after a few seasons yet either. Certainly running out of time but hope he's given another year to try prove himself before wet cut ties.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back