Welcome Welcome National Draft Pick #13 - Jordan Gallucci

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wait you are using his B&F performance from 2010 to counter a claim he is downhill skiing in 2018?

Has anyone suggested that has been systematic of his career? I don’t think anyone has.

I’ve raised it as being a concern this year, a year when he has been one of the few senior players to be injury free, well until recently. He has played well in our wins but in our losses he’s generally been poor.

So perhaps before you try and have a crack at posters perhaps understand what the hell they are saying.
Brahahaha
So just this year he's become that player that plays well when we win and doesn't when we lose ( still trying to work what that means anyway )

Righto

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Brahahaha
So just this year he's become that player that plays well when we win and doesn't when we lose ( still trying to work what that means anyway )

Righto
It’s pretty straight forward, Douggie is getting on. I’m assessing his value to the team this year and going forward. This year he has played well when the team has played well and we needed a win, when the team hasn’t performed and we needed our leaders to step up he hasn’t. What’s hard to understand about that?

If he’s not performing as a leader giving his age, I would prefer to see Galluci developed.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
It’s pretty straight forward, Douggie is getting on. I’m assessing his value to the team this year and going forward. This year he has played well when the team has played well and we needed a win, when the team hasn’t performed and we needed our leaders to step up he hasn’t. What’s hard to understand about that?

If he’s not performing as a leader giving his age, I would prefer to see Galluci developed.
Since before the preseason i've been struggling to fit Dougy into my team. Just naming our team at full strength its pretty obvious that there are guys that will start to struggle to get named every week from this year onwards!

Defenders: Doedee, Talia, Hartigan, Smith, Laird, Cheney, Milera. Hell even Kelly and DMAC would all get named before him
Mids: Sloane, Crouch, Crouch, Gibbs, Greenwood, Atkins, Seedsman, Knight. And now Gooch, Poholke and CEY are all closing in.
Forwards: Tex, Betts, Lynch, Gov, JJ, Murphy. And again younger players like Gooch, FOG and Poholke are again banging on the door.

The writing is on the wall, he's a good player without a position group. Luckily for him injuries have plastered over this fact until now, but with the younger guys coming through and players coming back from injury guys like Dougy, Gibson and DMAC are gonna get replaced! Its inevitable!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

Galluci is getting developed
Yes Dougy is getting on and will struggle to get games next year at times although I bet he ends up going ok
Not sure what your point is ?

So is it more important to play well in wins or losses ??- that's what I don't understand , and if it's losses then Douglas 2010 B and F year must be one of the great individual seasons of our history !!

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes Dougy is getting on and will struggle to get games next year at times although I bet he ends up going ok

So is it more important to play well in wins or losses ??- that's what I don't understand , and if it's losses then Douglas 2010 B and F year must be one of the great individual seasons of our history !!

Gotta to say I’m with Jeff

Performing well in a struggling team requires discipline, resilience, character and work ethic

Can’t see how that’s a negative

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

I think Douglas had a very good 2010, there’s no denying it.

I’ll ask it another way, is it easier to play well when the whole team is? Should you expect your leaders to perform well when the side isn’t?

What’s my point? This all started when there was a jerk off on this board when he had some good games, I pointed out that his form was the minimum we should expect, it deserves no special praise as his form was ordinary in a number of our losses.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Performing well in a struggling team requires discipline, resilience, character and work ethic

Has he though? Have a look at all his games, there are some shitty ones amongst the okay to good ones.

May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
4 times top 10 - 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017 in our B&F is probably not good enough - especially when you consider the others in the top 15 all-time games for the Crows -

McLeod 13x, Roo 12x, Edwards 11x, Bickley 11x, Goodwin 10x, Hart 10x, Thommo 10x, Smart 9x, Doughty 5x, Rutten 6x, Johncock 6x, Bassett 6x, van Berlo 5x, Reilly 3x, Mackay 0x.

Anyway. Back to Gooch....

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

Agree, performing well week to week is of importance

Posters arguing that he doesn't perform in losses

Then posters arguing that his B and F didn't mean much because we were no good

They confusing me !

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Agree, performing well week to week is of importance

Posters arguing that he doesn't perform in losses

Then posters arguing that his B and F didn't mean much because we were no good

They confusing me !
Sounds like you are confusing yourself intentionally because it’s been spelt out a number of times to you.

Quote one poster who said his B&F didn’t mean much.

Do you think this year he’s performed well week to week?

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think Douglas had a very good 2010, there’s no denying it.

I’ll ask it another way, is it easier to play well when the whole team is? Should you expect your leaders to perform well when the side isn’t?

What’s my point? This all started when there was a jerk off on this board when he had some good games, I pointed out that his form was the minimum we should expect, it deserves no special praise as his form was ordinary in a number of our losses.
I'm a promoter of young players given my interest in junior footy and the draft and it was no different to some of the overrating of some of our younger players and this started with the suggestion that Galluci is on his at to being a ' much smarter and upgrade on Douglas '

There is too much overrating of our youth before proven and it just leads to disappointment later on

Anyway , I agree that Dougy is gradually on his way out but still has a role at our club and his career in general has been more than solid

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sounds like you are confusing yourself intentionally because it’s been spelt out a number of times to you.

Quote one poster who said his B&F didn’t mean much.

Do you think this year he’s performed well week to week?
It's been mentioned many times that his B and F was a cheap one and it's not as if he only had one good season . His B and F result was very solid last year in a year we won the most games . 5th or 6th

This year - form indifferent . Good been very good still hits scoreboard and assists in goals . A bit inconsistent like the rest of the team especially when the talent was out of the side

He has stepped up at times though

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm a promoter of young players given my interest in junior footy and the draft and it was no different to some of the overrating of some of our younger players and this started with the suggestion that Galluci is on his at to being a ' much smarter and upgrade on Douglas '

There is too much overrating of our youth before proven and it just leads to disappointment later on

Anyway , I agree that Dougy is gradually on his way out but still has a role at our club and his career in general has been more than solid
You didn’t answer my questions

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
You didn’t answer my questions
Not really

He has been ok , not great

I doubt Galluci is a much smarter and big upgrade on him

Of Gooch plays 200 games and wins a B and F I'll pretty happy that he's broken even

He does offer a great deal of athleticism and X factor which is tantalising IF he can harness it properly

I think the problem is he doesn't have Douglas footy smarts hence the 'much smarter' claim is very dubious but athletically a big tick

Brett Burton was athletic too , doesn't mean everything even though it can help enormously

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm not as big as some on Gallucci right now but it would be madness to try and trade him out at this point when he has clearly bought into the club by extending his contract. The only way the Gooch should be traded currently is if he wanted out or he was agreeable to the move, and only then if it was for major overs which we would likely not get currently.

He's a second year player that is genuinely earning his spot in the side and even with a fully fit list, there's nobody not playing right now that deserves his spot on actual performance. These are strong signs in my opinion.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
4 times top 10 - 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017 in our B&F is probably not good enough - especially when you consider the others in the top 15 all-time games for the Crows -

1, 2, 10, 5

It’s a bit better than just any old top 10 finish. Like draft picks, it matters where they fall

As for the missing years, he missed a good few games in 2011, 2012 & 2015

Certainly enough to affect his finishing place

I’d venture that his per game vote tallies would have been fairly good in those “down” years

Not really

He has been ok , not great

I doubt Galluci is a much smarter and big upgrade on him

Of Gooch plays 200 games and wins a B and F I'll pretty happy that he's broken even

He does offer a great deal of athleticism and X factor which is tantalising IF he can harness it properly

I think the problem is he doesn't have Douglas footy smarts hence the 'much smarter' claim is very dubious but athletically a big tick

Brett Burton was athletic too , doesn't mean everything even though it can help enormously

You shot down your argument the sentence before: Gooch has X factor. That's a pretty big tick in the much smarter column for Gooch. It takes a very potent football brain to have X-factor after all. The rest will come with experience, but really this is something Gooch will inevitably belt Douglas in should he not stagnate, much like he'll do to the majority of our list.

Really the vast majority of Douglas football smarts just comes from a solid base (nothing spectacular, but not stupid: i.e. Hampton/Mackay) and experience. It's not really a tool that he has to a great degree, but equally it's not crippling.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
You shot down your argument the sentence before: Gooch has X factor. That's a pretty big tick in the much smarter column for Gooch. It takes a very potent football brain to have X-factor after all. The rest will come with experience, but really this is something Gooch will inevitably belt Douglas in should he not stagnate, much like he'll do to the majority of our list.

Really the vast majority of Douglas football smarts just comes from a solid base (nothing spectacular, but not stupid: i.e. Hampton/Mackay) and experience. It's not really a tool that he has to a great degree, but equally it's not crippling.
X factor has nothing to do with footy intelligence

Brett Burton case in point

Douglas career is built on being footy smart, he's not an elite athlete like Gooch. He's proven he's footy smart by being able to play multiple roles , sometimes within the 1 game eg mid , forward , tagger , back

He's also been a better than average score involvement , score assist and goal kicker which takes footy smarts

Gooch X factor comes from his athleticism , speed , vertical leap etc . His footy IQ is what needs work and is why he didn't find much ball in sanfl last year or AFL to this year . I'm talking >20 possession games , they've been very rare both years

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
X factor has nothing to do with footy intelligence

Brett Burton case in point

Douglas career is built on being footy smart, he's not an elite athlete like Gooch. He's proven he's footy smart by being able to play multiple roles , sometimes within the 1 game eg mid , forward , tagger , back

He's also been a better than average score involvement , score assist and goal kicker which takes footy smarts

Gooch X factor comes from his athleticism , speed , vertical leap etc . His footy IQ is what needs work and is why he didn't find much ball in sanfl last year or AFL to this year . I'm talking >20 possession games , they've been very rare both years
Douglas has had 6 plus 20 games this year, 4 of them were 20-22 possessions. In our losses his highest possession count was 20 against Freo. A high possession count has never been his strong suit.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Douglas has had 6 plus 20 games this year, 4 of them were 20-22 possessions. In our losses his highest possession count was 20 against Freo. A high possession count has never been his strong suit.
Well, you won't have to worry after next year by the look.

Back