Welcome Welcome National Draft Pick #13 - Jordan Gallucci

Is Hately the curtain call for Gooch?

Nah, not Gooch. He's hanging on at the moment because Jones didn't set the world on fire.

Really, Poholke, and maybe O'Connor (Though, I do hope Ronin also makes it, because I do love the idea of twin 190 cm contested beasts in the midfield).

Nah, not Gooch. He's hanging on at the moment because Jones didn't set the world on fire.

Really, Poholke, and maybe O'Connor (Though, I do hope Ronin also makes it, because I do love the idea of twin 190 cm contested beasts in the midfield).

Forgot about Dylan. I think you are right.

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Considering in our past gameplan our half forward flank was an absolute graveyard for anyone, I always thought since Gooch kinda did ok at it it was equivalent to doing really well nearly anywhere else on the ground lol

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Surely the only reason Poholke hasn't been delisted is the outside chance he could be trade material, even if only the steak knives component!
Will be a quite appropriate summation of that period for us if Lyons plays in a grand final on the Saturday and the player we got for him is delisted on the Monday

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
Will be a quite appropriate summation of that period for us if Lyons plays in a grand final on the Saturday and the player we got for him is delisted on the Monday
If I remember rightly J Lyons and M Crouch were considered similar players and were vying for the same spot. In the end we chose M Crouch over Lyons, who sought greener pastures elsewhere.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

Everything that is important to understand of our club is contained within the next sentence. We chose Thommo's 6 touch retirement game ahead of 3 years of Lyons at the same extra price. Our value culture is geared towards overpaying old players for past time served.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Everything that is important to understand of our club is contained within the next sentence. We chose Thommo's 6 touch retirement game ahead of 3 years of Lyons at the same extra price. Our value culture is geared towards overpaying old players for past time served.
We chose Thommo's 6 touch (including 4 clangers) retirement game

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Ben Crocker also set to play VFL for Carlton's reserves side.

Still don't know how were weren't able to develop this guy into an AFL footballer.

1612660650525.png

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I have a hard time blaming our recruiters for picking Gallucci. You watch his draft highlight videos and he looks like exactly the kind of player we needed at the time, fast, an excellent kick both long and short, on the run and from a set shot, and had a decent leap for a small. I guess the club hoped they could develop his defensive game but it never came to fruition.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Would love for someone to interview Hamish about this pick and what he thinks went wrong (with the pick itself and /or his development). He's pretty straight up so would be good to hear. Not sure that I buy into the whole 'over ruled by the coach' thing.
Not even when Phil Bunn then a Crows recruiter said that was the case in a public interview on trade radio?

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not even when Phil Bunn then a Crows recruiter said that was the case in a public interview on trade radio?

when asked about the rumours he made a young Gordon Ramsay cry, Marco Pierre White famously responded that of course he didn’t make Gordon cry; Gordon chose to cry!

Hamish chose to accept an alternative point of view. No one had authority over him, it was his call.

He didn't have a footy brain - not everything/everyone can be taught.

It's unfortunately not a good angle, but you do not make this play if you do not have a football brain. You run into a tackle.

Galluccis issues were two-fold. He was around at the wrong time, with the most important parts of his career coinciding when everything at the club was imploding, to the point his axing in 2019 was up there with one of the more disgusting acts of a group of coaches desperately trying to save their jobs. The other one was Jordon was a bit of cruiser at the end of the day, noting he copped that spray about him slacking off at training a few weeks prior to the Achillies snap.

(and yeah, the Achillies snap didn't help either).

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
If a coach makes an argument which is compelling enough that it has the recruiter overriding his own talent order, do we really blame the coach for having an opinion or do we blame the recruiter for getting sucked into the argument? Ultimately Hamish was the one with the authority to make the call so surely he is one who's ultimately accountable*.

(* Unless our managment was so ass backward that it actually allowed Pyke to override the recruiters unilaterally)

Back