Welcome Welcome National Draft Pick #44 - Myles Poholke

Remove this Banner Ad

He needs to hit the gym and run a marathon a few times in preseason to get his strength game working for him and be able to evade tacklers with a side step ala Parker.
We should hire the weapon as our new strength and conditioning coach.
Couldnt do any worse.

His marking is good, but otherwise I'm just not seeing much at the moment. I think Murphy is far superior as of right now.

Least impressed I've been with a player in their first few games. Keeping in mind I have only paid real interest in draftees for the last 3 or 4 years.

Agree - felt for him Sunday. Created 2 good chances and fluffed both.

Comes away with 9 possessions, 6 marks and 2 goals as a half forward in a team massacred, he almost makes the best players. As it was 0.1 and an OOF relegated it to anonymous.

Bit to work with though.

More than happy to be proven wrong, but just not seeing it at the moment. Not particularly big, not particularly quick, hasn't shown himself to be a natural ball winner, kick is reminiscent of Ken McGregor in length and trajectory, but less reliable. He's got 2 more years to prove his worth, but at this stage I just don't see anything that suggests he'll be anything more than an average player. With time and experience he'll find more of the footy and be involved more, but I look for glimpses of what he could become and I just don't see how he seperates himself from the bucket loads of other decent state level midfielders.

Wish him the best in turning it around and initial thoughts were that he'd be a great pick up, I just haven't seen it though.

Gallucci I see enough flashes of brilliance to persist with, he has some work to do, but I can see the talent and potential.

He works hard, looks composed enough and runs to the right spots.

But right now he's struggling a bit and doesn't appear to have any weapons. Same was said about Sloane in his early days too, and I'm happy for him to get a few games to improve, but he should be back in the 2s this week.

His marking is good, but otherwise I'm just not seeing much at the moment. I think Murphy is far superior as of right now.

Least impressed I've been with a player in their first few games. Keeping in mind I have only paid real interest in draftees for the last 3 or 4 years.
Yeah must say I was surprised we didn't go with Murphy ahead of him.

As someone else mentioned, probably wanted guaranteed game time into Murphy considering he’s missed a few
It's quite humorous, we are actually capable of good player management and such these days.

Why on earth this doesn't extend to the entire squad is insane to me.

For mine he never gets enough of the ball, has no xfactor or explosive skillset. He pops up once or twice a game with a nice mark or goal, then isnt seen again.
Isnt a midfielder, and isnt influential enough to play half forward.

For mine he never gets enough of the ball, has no xfactor or explosive skillset. He pops up once or twice a game with a nice mark or goal, then isnt seen again.
Isnt a midfielder, and isnt influential enough to play half forward.
He's a midfielder, and has shown such at SANFL level. Whether or not that'll translate, well it's looking unlikely.

He works hard, looks composed enough and runs to the right spots.

But right now he's struggling a bit and doesn't appear to have any weapons. Same was said about Sloane in his early days too, and I'm happy for him to get a few games to improve, but he should be back in the 2s this week.

Sloane had a ferocious attack on the ball though. He literally threw himself at the contest.

Sloane had a ferocious attack on the ball though. He literally threw himself at the contest.
And this is the difference between the 2 at this point. Sloane knew his game was limited in the early days but made up for it by pure workrate and self disregard.

I would argue Myles has better skills but lacks that intangible extra that can separate Streets Vanilla and Golden North.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sloane only played one game in his first year, at age 19 (after being overlooked in the 2007 draft). Poholke is ahead of that at the same age. Worth noting Sloane didn't get even a single kick in that one game.

He came in the following year and played the majority of games at a fairly solid level. Far too early to write off Poholke long-term, but he's not quite ready yet.

Specifically, at half time of his first game he had more tackles than disposals, which were all handballs.

Not writing him off, but Myles' start is tracking closer to Myke Cook's than Rory Sloane's thus far.

I don't know is Myles perfectly mirroring Sloanes first game in his first is any proof of him tracking closer to Cook then Sloane ;)

Sloane only played one game in his first year, at age 19 (after being overlooked in the 2007 draft). Poholke is ahead of that at the same age. Worth noting Sloane didn't get even a single kick in that one game.

He came in the following year and played the majority of games at a fairly solid level. Far too early to write off Poholke long-term, but he's not quite ready yet.

Rory was 130 days younger on debut(in a side that was flying towards finals) and in his 1st year on our list, Poholke debuted in his 2nd year.

Rory played round 1 of his 2nd year but was injured, played 3 SANFL games before his return in round 10 and held his spot ever since. In his 3rd-5th games Sloane yielded 20, 17 and 22 touches, care to compare that to Poholke? 7, 12 and 9... and now likely to be dropped.

Saying Poholke's ahead of Sloane at the same age means nothing. On current draft eligibility criteria, Sloane would not have been draftable the year he was passed over. There is 4 months difference between their birthdays, Sloanes first year on our list is essentially equivalent to Poholkes 1st. Sloane was essentially a best 22 player from the start of his 2nd year and was making meaningful contributions. Poholke’s only getting games due to injury and as you say isn’t ready. Sloane was clearly ready from the start of his 2nd year and fair chance would have played 22 games if not for injury.

I’m sorry, but Poholkes progress on our list thus far in no way compares to Sloane’s.

Goodness me. Picking this bloke was the draft selection equivalent of Steve Harmison’s opening delivery in the 2006 ashes.

Goodness me. Picking this bloke was the draft selection equivalent of Steve Harmison’s opening delivery in the 2006 ashes.
Cedric Cox, Sam McLarty, Josh Begley, Joe Atley (Port), Declan Watson, Josh Williams and Kobe Mutch were all picked before him

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back