Welcome Welcome National Draft Pick #44 - Myles Poholke

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for your perspective. I thought he had a reasonable first season and showed some good signs considering he played around 90% of it as an 18 year old, although he did seem to tire a little towards the end. I have fairly high hopes for him as a good sized and athletic mid. I will keep an eye on the things you pointed to as I did not notice them so much, and I do expect him to step up considerably in 20018, his second year on our list.

I reckon he’ll be cooked in 18,000 years time. ;)

Can't see him being as good at Douglas but he will be a chance
Maybe it's just me, but IMO he has every chance. People compare Douglas to Gallucci - well I reckon the Polk has more Pizza Boy in him, honestly

Brings similar weapons to the table. Reckon he'll definitely be a player if developed correctly

I reckon we pick up a KPF with our first next year and make up the deficit for Edwards with later picks, so maybe Gallucci and Callum Coleman-Jones for Gibbs?

This is all hypothetical at this stage though, CCJ may fall dramatically down draft boards next year
And that he did :eek:

I was thinking this year's draft would be good for talls, but alas I was wrong, they mostly regressed

Sig is my kind of wingman. Lacks a but of polish and needs to find the pill a little more, but as a first year, hard edged wingman with a big kick and more than capable contested game.... He has a spot by 2020 all things going well IMO.
I'm not really sure on him tbh. Didn't see much to suggest he will be a player in year 1.

Will be very interesting to watch his development this year ......what's his biggest area of development required?
Only watched a couple of early games live so cant answer this. Looked ok but as noted that extra base that 1st and 2nd year rookies need to find

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not really sure on him tbh. Didn't see much to suggest he will be a player in year 1.
I know exactly what you're saying. When I first saw him playing SANFL, I was thinking "What is this thrashing, gangly, fluffy headed stick insect doing on a footy field?"

But then I looked at raw potential and could see he really was just finding his feet on the outside. He would get lost on the outside, but end up in the contest with elbows flailing wildly and hit a pin point handpass out of congestion. His leg speed and long kicking on the outside IMO, could project a little like Seedsman. So you have the outside traits of seedsman, in a hard tackling, contested ball winner.

He just needs to work on his positioning and clean up his skills and we will see a very much more refined player. He will never be as sexy as Milera, but he will scrap tooth and nail for the ball when it is his turn. That's the kind of player the modern day game needs

Of course he could not develop any of these necessary traits and flop completely. But as a long term project with a goal to harden up the outside, he is a solid prospect.

I know exactly what you're saying. When I first saw him playing SANFL, I was thinking "What is this thrashing, gangly, fluffy headed stick insect doing on a footy field?"

But then I looked at raw potential and could see he really was just finding his feet on the outside. He would get lost on the outside, but end up in the contest with elbows flailing wildly and hit a pin point handpass out of congestion. His leg speed and long kicking on the outside IMO, could project a little like Seedsman. So you have the outside traits of seedsman, in a hard tackling, contested ball winner.

He just needs to work on his positioning and clean up his skills and we will see a very much more refined player. He will never be as sexy as Milera, but he will scrap tooth and nail for the ball when it is his turn. That's the kind of player the modern day game needs

Of course he could not develop any of these necessary traits and flop completely. But as a long term project with a goal to harden up the outside, he is a solid prospect.
I posted a while back on here that I spoke to a support guy from the Northern Knights I've got to know through attending U 18's games regularly over the years and he told me he had heard we were reprogramming the Sig from a see ball get ball midfielder to play a more outside, link up role to better utilise his pace and make him a more complete player. I thought towards the end of the season the Sig was starting to look like he'd got his head around what we were looking for, several of the handballs he fired out of congestion to hit Myles Poholke on the tit were sublime and resulted in easy goals.

I posted a while back on here that I spoke to a support guy from the Northern Knights I've got to know through attending U 18's games regularly over the years and he told me he had heard we were reprogramming the Sig from a see ball get ball midfielder to play a more outside, link up role to better utilise his pace and make him a more complete player. I thought towards the end of the season the Sig was starting to look like he'd got his head around what we were looking for, several of the handballs he fired out of congestion to hit Myles Poholke on the tit were sublime and resulted in easy goals.
Should pay off for the Vic club he goes to

Sig is my kind of wingman. Lacks a but of polish and needs to find the pill a little more, but as a first year, hard edged wingman with a big kick and more than capable contested game.... He has a spot by 2020 all things going well IMO.

That’s a strange way of describing a wingman

They tend to need polish, to find it a lot, usually outside without much emphasis on a contested game

What you are describing doesn’t sound like a wingman

That’s a strange way of describing a wingman

They tend to need polish, to find it a lot, usually outside without much emphasis on a contested game

What you are describing doesn’t sound like a wingman
That's just the evolution of the modern game IMO. As opposition teams look to shutdown space more and more, you can't allow yourselves to play effectively 2+ men short by carrying in soft outside types.

I don't like soft players all that much (Jenkins, Atkins et al), so to potentially have someone with weaponry but a hard edge on the outside is very good in this modern game.

If I remember correctly, it was a Sig handball out of a pack that led to Poholke kicking the winning goal when we beat Norwood by 2 points this season.

That's just the evolution of the modern game IMO. As opposition teams look to shutdown space more and more, you can't allow yourselves to play effectively 2+ men short by carrying in soft outside types.

I don't like soft players all that much (Jenkins, Atkins et al), so to potentially have someone with weaponry but a hard edge on the outside is very good in this modern game.

Yeah, that’s questionable at best :)

Swift clean polish on the outside is just as devastating today as ever.

Swift clean polish on the outside is just as devastating today as ever.

It is, but there's no place in a contending team anymore for midfielders who can't win their own ball when required, just as there's no place for forwards who can't pressure, ruckmen who can't run, and players of any kind who can't hit a short pass under pressure. You can still find those players around the league, but they're not winning anything, or in demand at teams heading anywhere.

Shaun Burgoyne versus Danyle Pearce, for example.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back