Welcome Welcome National Draft Pick #44 - Myles Poholke

Remove this Banner Ad

Felt sorry for him against Suns. Tried hard but just kept messing up whatever he was doing. The intent was there but execution let him down several times. Could see him getting increasingly frustrated whenever he came to the bench. I’m sure nerves and inexperience plays a huge part in that. Has to build from these last 2 games.

Felt sorry for him against Suns. Tried hard but just kept messing up whatever he was doing. The intent was there but execution let him down several times. Could see him getting increasingly frustrated whenever he came to the bench. I’m sure nerves and inexperience plays a huge part in that. Has to build from these last 2 games.

Yeah, he had a dirty night and wouldnt be surprised if he put extra pressure on himself playing in front of the big home crowd for the first time. He's showed enough and will get there - hopefully gets another run at it against Carton before we start getting some guys back in and he goes back to the 2's to work on what he's learned.

Loved his comment about "playing for the best club in Australia" when interviewed after the Sydney game. Seems like a good kid, and has plenty to work with.
Like the Rory Sloane comparison in that he seems the kind of kid that didnt start with the elite skillset of some kids taken before him, but might will himself into becoming a top tier mid. Looking forward to watching how it plays out.

He has a good body, but a slow mind, IMO. If his under-pressure decision making is worked on, he will be OK. He's good overhead.

I disagree with his mind seeing he does tend to make good decisions.

Just looked like he was trying too hard to impress and keep his spot.

Didn't like his game at all on Sat. Looked physically slow without having the positional smarts. Then also looked mentally slow in traffic without the agility or speed of mind to work his way through it.

Can't write any player off this early, but needs to go back to the 2's and really work on his game.

Bloody hell there are some reactionary types on here.

Had some good moments against Sydney, some bad moments against Gold Coast. Can't make any real judgments in my view.

Likely sits out this week or next, but that would be more to do with blokes like Sloane, Betts, Kelly, Murphy, Hampton all pushing for selection (I'd keep him ahead of the last two for the record).

Had some good moments against Sydney, some bad moments against Gold Coast. Can't make any real judgments in my view.

Likely sits out this week or next, but that would be more to do with blokes like Sloane, Betts, Kelly, Murphy, Hampton all pushing for selection (I'd keep him ahead of the last two for the record).

I'm certainly not writing him off, simply identifying what is good and what needs to be improved. It must be possible to make constructive criticisms of new players, as well as Mackay, surely?

I'm certainly not writing him off, simply identifying what is good and what needs to be improved. It must be possible to make constructive criticisms of new players, as well as Mackay, surely?

Wasn't referring to your post at all.

Just highlighting the difference in posts 8 days apart. The tendency to shoot from the hip, particularly with new players i think is detrimental.

Re the Mackay point, I get it, but the constructive criticism tends to be more valid when you've got a body of work exceeding two games to go by.

Wasn't referring to your post at all.

Just highlighting the difference in posts 8 days apart. The tendency to shoot from the hip, particularly with new players i think is detrimental.

Re the Mackay point, I get it, but the constructive criticism tends to be more valid when you've got a body of work exceeding two games to go by.
The flip side of being a bit emotional about it, is that you can only assess on what the eye sees.

As I was careful to note, you can't write off any player this early or invariably you end up with egg on the face.

Hopefully he can go back, work on what he's no doubt learned about his game and come back better - like most players do :)

Poholke will make way for Sloane this week I reckon, but he'll learn from his mistakes in the GC game. He definitely has talent, we'll see him back in the side soon enough :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like his endeavour and intent so far. Everything else can be improved upon. Can't judge anyone on just 1 poor game. Reference: Galluci (1st game).

As I was careful to note, you can't write off any player this early or invariably you end up with egg on the face.
Our board has a textbook example of this for future reference.

He looked a bit like Fogarty in that he kept trying to just bulldoze his way through things, which doesn't really work for the majority of players at AFL level.
I've been really impressed with his strength so far. In that regard he reminded me of Danger at the same age, very difficult to dispossess and bring to the ground.

Just seemed to try to do too much when he got it, stuffed up a lot. You could tell his confidence was going down every time and it was just a snowball effect.

Think they'll tell him to take the first option and that'll be that. No use being a player of his type and trying to shimmy through contests at this level, there just isnt the time.

Pretty much sums it up.

Didn't like his game at all on Sat. Looked physically slow without having the positional smarts. Then also looked mentally slow in traffic without the agility or speed of mind to work his way through it.

Can't write any player off this early, but needs to go back to the 2's and really work on his game.

Think this still fits. Needs time in SANFL.

Think this still fits. Needs time in SANFL.

Yup, looks a preseason off fitness wise. Still though, seeing our injury list, there isn't exactly much harm in giving him another game or two.

He's worth persisting with, despite the usual naysayers saying delist him already. Very good overhead, tough and clean are usually traits which translate well with being a long term midfielder.

He looked a bit like Fogarty in that he kept trying to just bulldoze his way through things, which doesn't really work for the majority of players at AFL level.
At one point he got caught with the ball while on the ground and stood up in the tackle with two blokes hanging off of him. He's got good strength for a young player, but he needs a spell in the SANFL.

Poholke hasn't done heaps but occasionally he clunks a mark unexpectedly or picks it up cleanly under pressure when most would fumble that makes you think he has something. Not a 'must play' talent like Fogarty but enough promise to persist with.

Poholke hasn't done heaps but occasionally he clunks a mark unexpectedly or picks it up cleanly under pressure when most would fumble that makes you think he has something. Not a 'must play' talent like Fogarty but enough promise to persist with.
He needs to hit the gym and run a marathon a few times in preseason to get his strength game working for him and be able to evade tacklers with a side step ala Parker.

Agree - felt for him Sunday. Created 2 good chances and fluffed both.

Comes away with 9 possessions, 6 marks and 2 goals as a half forward in a team massacred, he almost makes the best players. As it was 0.1 and an OOF relegated it to anonymous.

Bit to work with though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back