Welcome Welcome National Draft Pick #44 - Myles Poholke

Remove this Banner Ad

Cracking selection - tough as teek

Good overhead

An upgrade on Jarrod Lyons - just as tough and a little more speed

Not a bad trade in the end , love Jarrod but happy with Myles
Whoa big fella. Im all for the optimistic approach but lets be sensible. Jarryd was a regular in a qualty AFL side last season before being traded to a midfield boasting Ablett Jnr.

Lets give the guy an SANFL game or two before making comparisons. Im sure he'll do well but the Lyons comparison wont be answered for a while yet.

Whoa big fella. Im all for the optimistic approach but lets be sensible. Jarryd was a regular in a qualty AFL side last season before being traded to a midfield boasting Ablett Jnr.

Lets give the guy an SANFL game or two before making comparisons. Im sure he'll do well but the Lyons comparison wont be answered for a while yet.
Hope he doesn't take as long to eventually answer that comparison as Lyons but!;)

Quote: Snoop Dog Phantom Draft

# 35 Port Adelaide - Myles Poholke / Dandenong / 184cm / 82kg

I really like the kid and he doesn’t get much of a wrap I don’t think. I suspect people focus on his speed a bit but he is a class act who creates a bit of time for himself. I don’t think there are many players in this pool who are as clean with the ball as him and he is a really nice user of the footy. Strikes me that would be a great fit for Port and they will be drawn to his style of footy. I think he probably plays half forward early but he should find his way to the middle in time given his testing.

Quote: Quigley's Draft Analysis

56. Myles Poholke

Poholke is a guy that I wouldn’t be surprised to see go pretty highly or drop right away on draft day. He has holes in his game that could concern teams but there are strengths there that a team might fall in love with as well. He has a clear career path in the AFL which should see him start his career as a HFF and progressively play more and more midfield. This is a pretty standard pathway in the AFL and a guy who fits that nicely is going to appeal to teams given they don’t need to have much imagination to see him in those roles.

At the champs I thought Poholke looked to be carrying a bit of puppy fat that he could stand to lose and I think teams will like it that he lost 3kgs coming into the Combine. It certainly helped his testing at the Combine where he was quite impressive. He showed good endurance returning a 14.1 in the beep and burst of pace in the 20m where he did a 2.98. His repeat sprint and jumps were also good. The one test where he would have been below what would have been hoped for was in the agility test but if you have seen him play that was probably to be expected.

Poholke is a strong physical presence on the field and will often look to go through rather than around a tackler. He was quite effective with that in the juniors but like Nick Robertson I am not seeing him pull it off at AFL level. He is going to need to make it more of a surprise tactic rather than the go-to move it is now. I would like to see him work on his change of direction but I am not expecting it to ever be a strength of his.

Poholke has a little unusual body shape with short legs and a longer torso and that together with his lack of agility tends to lead to an impression that he is not quick. That would be wrong and he uses it to his advantage. He is not a big accumulator of the ball but he does get a reasonable amount of it as a HFF and he manages to find space well. Poholke’s biggest strength is probably his marking. He has excellent hands, a reasonable jump and is a good judge of the ball in the air. Add to that the fact that he is difficult to move when he establishes position and you have a guy who is a dangerous one-on-one player.

Probably the biggest hole in his game at the moment is his kicking. He is not one of those players who seems to have time and this is exacerbated by the fact that he looks to play on quickly whenever he gets the ball. This usually means he does not take a heap of time with his kicks and with his tendency to swing his leg across the ball he can miss more targets than most people would like to see. He does seem to identify good targets and his reading of the play seems fine so I think most of these problems come back to those two issues, both of which should be coachable to some extent. His kicking technique should be able to be ironed out with intense work and it needs to be stressed to him that he needs to take his time when he has it and not overly rush his disposal.

In the middle of the ground he is a bustling presence who battles away and wins his fair share. His hands are clean and quick enough but he is not a great read of the rucks’ taps. He is strong over the ball and competes well but I just do not see him as a natural. With time and exposure he should improve though. He uses his strength well in his tackles and he is not afraid to get in and mix it up.

Poholke has his fans and his detractors. I am somewhere in the middle.

Quote: Quigley's Draft Analysis

56. Myles Poholke

At the champs I thought Poholke looked to be carrying a bit of puppy fat that he could stand to lose and I think teams will like it that he lost 3kgs coming into the Combine. It certainly helped his testing at the Combine where he was quite impressive. He showed good endurance returning a 14.1 in the beep and burst of pace in the 20m where he did a 2.98. His repeat sprint and jumps were also good. The one test where he would have been below what would have been hoped for was in the agility test but if you have seen him play that was probably to be expected.
I really like this the most. Shows the kid wants to succeed and has good mentors who can help direct him. To go away and want to be ready for Combine is a big tick for me.

Probably the biggest hole in his game at the moment is his kicking. He is not one of those players who seems to have time and this is exacerbated by the fact that he looks to play on quickly whenever he gets the ball. This usually means he does not take a heap of time with his kicks and with his tendency to swing his leg across the ball he can miss more targets than most people would like to see. He does seem to identify good targets and his reading of the play seems fine so I think most of these problems come back to those two issues, both of which should be coachable to some extent. His kicking technique should be able to be ironed out with intense work and it needs to be stressed to him that he needs to take his time when he has it and not overly rush his disposal.
Glad they saw what I saw. And even happier ( and know) to believe it is coachable.

In the middle of the ground he is a bustling presence who battles away and wins his fair share. His hands are clean and quick enough but he is not a great read of the rucks’ taps. He is strong over the ball and competes well but I just do not see him as a natural. With time and exposure he should improve though. He uses his strength well in his tackles and he is not afraid to get in and mix it up.
Be the outside mid then or give him intensive work. But really it could just come down to communication between the ruck and he. Or the O'clock positioning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He better be an upgrade on Lyons or what's the Point . I believe he is from a footy talent and physical capability perspective

Will take a while to find out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back