Welcome Welcome National Draft Pick #62 - Matthew Signorello

Remove this Banner Ad

They don't just let him take it, but they don't put players and structures in place to stop him from taking it either. They try to win the ball first, if they can't, then they're happiest for Matt Crouch to have it, because he does nothing damaging with it. Tags and blocks are targeted at the players who are damaging when they win it, such as Sloane and Brad, and a couple years ago Thompson and Dangerfield.

Empty accumulator was the knock on him as an under 18, and that hasn't changed a single bit at AFL level, which is why it's important to know and understand what limitations or negatives recruiters saw in the new lot of draftees. Some things can be fixed with coaching, others can't.
Well Sloane went undrafted in his first eligible year and then slid to pick 44 the following year. Recruiters must have seen a lot of limitations or negatives.

Those that doubt organic improvement are blinded by the name GIBBS.
have to disagree here, Gibbs has little to do with it.

there's no doubt we have organic improvement in us - the doubters are concerned about how ours stacks up against the likes of the Bulldogs, GWS and Sydney. You'd have to be really blindly in love with our players after the season we've just had to expect organic growth alone to shoot us past that lot to a flag in the next 5 years. They're all as-well poised with young talent, if not in better positions.

maybe the Bulldogs will go missing like Collingwood post-2010, maybe GWS will never get their heads in the game, maybe Sydney will throw a semi final to tank for picks they don't need, maybe we'll pull off a Mighty Ducks, you never know - but we seem to be relying on best-case scenario forecasts to get us there at this stage.

Last edited:
have to disagree here, Gibbs has little to do with it.

there's no doubt we have organic improvement in us - the doubters are concerned about how ours stacks up against the likes of the Bulldogs, GWS and Sydney. You'd have to be really blindly in love with our players after the season we've just had to expect organic growth alone to shoot us past that lot to a flag in the next 5 years. They're all as-well poised with young talent, if not in better positions.

maybe the Bulldogs will go missing like Collingwood post-2010, maybe GWS will never get their heads in the game, maybe Sydney will throw a semi final to tank for picks they don't need, maybe we'll pull off a Mighty Ducks, you never know - but we seem to be relying on best-case scenario forecasts to get us there at this stage.

Well I like to think that most of our best-22 are already established/playing so that we will be in the prime experience bracket the next few years. GWS and Syd look like they are going to be really tough teams the next few years.

Bulldogs are a bit overrated I reckon. I believe we stack up better than most teams in the competition when playing them. If we match them in the midfield - we win. Simple as that. When we played them last time our mids were thoroughly outplayed. We looked tired, the umpires absolutely reamed us but when the ball flung down our end, we scored and that kept us in the game. TBH I reckon if we had met them in finals we would have beaten them. IMO we were probably the only team that could have stopped them this year.

Well I like to think that most of our best-22 are already established/playing so that we will be in the prime experience bracket the next few years. GWS and Syd look like they are going to be really tough teams the next few years.

Bulldogs are a bit overrated I reckon. I believe we stack up better than most teams in the competition when playing them. If we match them in the midfield - we win. Simple as that. When we played them last time our mids were thoroughly outplayed. We looked tired, the umpires absolutely reamed us but when the ball flung down our end, we scored and that kept us in the game. TBH I reckon if we had met them in finals we would have beaten them. IMO we were probably the only team that could have stopped them this year.
I don't rate them as some sort of juggernaut or anything, but they have plenty of young guns, had a bloody rough run with injuries last year, and still romped their way to a flag from outside the top 4.

that speaks for itself if you ask me. The fact is we can sit around and talk about how close we ought to be every preseason, but they actually went out and got the ******* job done.

and we might have met them in finals if we didn't s**t the bed against West Coast and/or actually turned up against Sydney, and maybe if either of those things hadn't have happened I'd have reason to sound a little more optimistic. Exhibit A and B that the mental scars of 05 and 06 that we've developed and refreshed in every finals series since still have a long way to go.

Theres a couple of guys in the Australian test team that have very unusual batting styles that could be described awkward or difficult to improve.

One guys the captain that was only considered as a allrounder and an average one at that.

One is a slogger that was only a t20 player.

Much prefer these 2 over any other technical correct batsmen in the country at the moment.

Then theres another called Hanscomb and he only averages 99.70.

So forget what looks nice and focus on what produces and in Matts highlight package he got his handball away and hit a target each time the same with his kicks and whats more credible seems to be his ability to perform at a high level injured.

That my friend is priceless.

Think of Bretton, Dippa and Hannebury in grand finals.

To be honest, I think you've completely missed the point both I and others have pointed out.

No one said he was never going to be any good or anything of that matter. The kid just looks seriously uncoordinated, as if his basic motor skills haven't even fully developed. It's something you sort of have to see for yourself to understand.

Whether or not he becomes a good footballer or not is yet to be determined and there's a lot of water that goes under the bridge. It's just funny how you can have these guys that look like Bambi on skates, but yet can play top level professional sports. Makes for a laugh.

His highlights package shows a awkward hand style. Running and leaping to mark a ball doesnt show coordination issues so im surprised. Are you talking from watching him live? Bicks didnt seem to notice it watching him live from what i read.

Hate to tell you Bicks, but the first chance Sig gets he is high tailing it back to Melbourne.

Inside knowledge?

Hehehe.. No. Just looking at his social media with him and his high school sweetheart. Private school kid would have been popular at school. I am guessing both will have big families back in Melbourne. If the kid ever has interest from a Vic club to take him home I reckon he will be as good as gone. Also just wanted to see Bicks reaction as he seems pretty invested in this kid ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do any of these footballers read? Polhoke and Sig both don't read books.

Most potential AFL footballers concentrate on their football to the exclusion of as many academic and cultural pursuits as their school will let them get away with

Most potential AFL footballers concentrate on their football to the exclusion of as many academic and cultural pursuits as their school will let them get away with

Yeah, and it's a great pity that they do. The reading habit is one that is such a good thing to have. Increase knowledge...develop imagination...keep the mind active. Better to be a good footballer and a well-rounded intelligent person.

Yeah, and it's a great pity that they do. The reading habit is one that is such a good thing to have. Increase knowledge...develop imagination...keep the mind active. Better to be a good footballer and a well-rounded intelligent person.

I'm an avid reader now but at that age, I would have said the same thing. Sporting kids wouldn't generally read a lot, especially boys imo.

But I agree, reading has definitely opened my mind to a lot of topics and has generally made my English skills better. I don't think that's the environment that would encourage it though.

Hehehe.. No. Just looking at his social media with him and his high school sweetheart. Private school kid would have been popular at school. I am guessing both will have big families back in Melbourne. If the kid ever has interest from a Vic club to take him home I reckon he will be as good as gone. Also just wanted to see Bicks reaction as he seems pretty invested in this kid ;)

Sigh..... hasn't even kicked a ball in a game for us yet and they're already going home.

I'm an avid reader now but at that age, I would have said the same thing. Sporting kids wouldn't generally read a lot, especially boys imo.

But I agree, reading has definitely opened my mind to a lot of topics and has generally made my English skills better. I don't think that's the environment that would encourage it though.
Now I know what's wrong with our football media these days where the majority are ex-players, not enough books read apparently.

Poor culturally deprived people.
Most of these kids have had one thing in common especially the more gifted football wise...the burning desire to firstly get drafted and then to play AFL football. Speaking of Matthew he graduated his year 12 studies at Ivanhoe Grammar a highly respected educational Institution so he's hardly a dummy, that along with winning the MVP for the Ivanhoe Grammar's first XV111 in the very strong Private Schools Competition. You won't find many sports minded youngsters these days reading books outside of their school studies...

Most of these kids have had one thing in common especially the more gifted football wise...the burning desire to firstly get drafted and then to play AFL football. Speaking of Matthew he graduated his year 12 studies at Ivanhoe Grammar a highly respected educational Institution so he's hardly a dummy, that along with winning the MVP for the Ivanhoe Grammar's first XV111 in the very strong Private Schools Competition. You won't find many sports minded youngsters these days reading books outside of their school studies...

I wasn't pointing directly at Myles. I responded to a comment about people that don't read books.
Not sure how anyone has an idea whether or not sporting kids read or don't read.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back