List Mgmt. Welcome National Draft Pick 7: Hunter Clark

Remove this Banner Ad

The good thing is that players who are playing injured or poor form will need to sit out. I hope we don't do another year of playing guys like Mav who were more liability than contributors. There are no gifted spots any more, things are getting tight.
Unfortunately, I think we said the same thing last year, hope it's right this time!

Roo and Joey out, but new to the club who could play in 2017, or virtual "new recruits", are Armo, Paddy, Freeman, Goddard, Austin, HC, Coff, White, Rice, Long and Paton, plus maybe a Lamb.

Unfortunately, I think we said the same thing last year, hope it's right this time!

Roo and Joey out, but new to the club who could play in 2017, or virtual "new recruits", are Armo, Paddy, Freeman, Goddard, Austin, HC, Coff, White, Rice, Long and Paton, plus maybe a Lamb.

I was looking through the VFL form for last year of our seniors. We didn't have lot pushing for AFL from Sandy. Lonie was definitely the most consistent and highest output. I think injuries to Armo, Steven, Freeman, Goddard, Paddy etc picked the cupboard bare a bit. We didn't have as much depth as I'd imagined. This year we have another couple of kids that will want games being top 10s and lots of guys at career cross roads or ready to give it a crack.

Geary Brown Webster
Savage Carlisle Roberton

Newnes Gresham Sinclair

Bruce, Weller, Membrey
Billings , McCartin Lonie

Ross, Steven, Longer,

Steele, Gresham, Stevens , one of White, Coffield , Rice , Clark

Emergency :
Gilbert, Hickey, Marshall, one of the backs.

Really see little opportunity for Minchington, he'd need to stay injury free and really push his way in.
Wright has a chance if Weller can't get back to form, but he'd need to do a lot more.
Gilbert may be getting close to the end.
Pierce will need to improve a lot.

Players that can be pushed out.
Savage, is OK, but no superstar, a young gut can take his place. White?
Armitage surely doesn't have too many years left.
Stevens is OK , but he can be pushed out.
Long better forget about playing HBF.

Geary Brown Webster
Savage Carlisle Roberton

Newnes Gresham Sinclair

Bruce, Weller, Membrey
Billings , McCartin Lonie

Ross, Steven, Longer,

Steele, Gresham, Stevens , one of White, Coffield , Rice , Clark

Emergency :
Gilbert, Hickey, Marshall, one of the backs.

Really see little opportunity for Minchington, he'd need to stay injury free and really push his way in.
Wright has a chance if Weller can't get back to form, but he'd need to do a lot more.
Gilbert may be getting close to the end.
Pierce will need to improve a lot.

Players that can be pushed out.
Savage, is OK, but no superstar, a young gut can take his place. White?
Armitage surely doesn't have too many years left.
Stevens is OK , but he can be pushed out.
Long better forget about playing HBF.

Gresham twice and no goat acres. Are you drunk?

Clark started the year underdone due to a slight Injury.

Had he been full fit from the start I have no doubt he would of been higher up on other clubs boards.

I know trout and co were super keen on him that had anyone fallen he would of been picked still and Coffield would of been the kid we replaced.

I was looking through the VFL form for last year of our seniors. We didn't have lot pushing for AFL from Sandy. Lonie was definitely the most consistent and highest output. I think injuries to Armo, Steven, Freeman, Goddard, Paddy etc picked the cupboard bare a bit. We didn't have as much depth as I'd imagined. This year we have another couple of kids that will want games being top 10s and lots of guys at career cross roads or ready to give it a crack.
Our depth was / is largely a figment of this boards imagination.

We had one of the shortest injury lists in the AFL (second last on the injury ladder behind Port by memory). And Sandy (outside of the standalone teams) was almost the worst team in the VFL. And that was not the Sandy boys fault!

From the games I saw: Rice and White were our most consistent (and improved as the year went on). Lonie, Dunstan and Paddy were very good (when they were down there). Freeman built. Minchi some good games. Hickey and RoMo showed flashes. But that was it.

There are varying reasons for this, but players like Long, Phillips, McKenzie, Peirce, Holmes, Battle, Joyce, JBT and Wright were often well beaten by VFL players. Playing stupidly tall every week didn't help. But each week Sandy was carrying at least 5 Saints players who barely contributed

Fingers crossed Austin, Clav, Coff, Clarke and Paton should help our depth a lot (especially in the back half)

Last edited:
Our depth was / is largely a figment of this boards imagination.

We had one of the shortest injury lists in the AFL (second last on the injury ladder behind Port by memory). And Sandy (outside of the standalone teams) was almost the worst team in the VFL. And that was not the Sandy boys fault!

From the games I saw: Rice and White were our most consistent (and improved as the year went on). Lonie, Dunstan and Paddy were very good (when they were down there). Freeman built. Minchi some good games. Hickey and RoMo showed flashes. But that was it.

There are varying reasons for this, but players like Long, Phillips, McKenzie, Peirce, Holmes, Battle, Joyce, JBT and Wright were often well beaten by VFL players. Playing stupidly tall every week didn't help. But each week Sandy was carrying at least 5 Saints players who barely contributed

Fingers crossed Austin, Clav, Coff, Clarke and Paton should help our depth a lot (especially in the back half)

Drama Queen
Out of the 8 by percentage.
Curren out most of the year. Minchington out the second half.

Drama Queen
Sure. We weren't 11th in a 14 team comp where 2 teams were not close to VFL standard? The last round 100point pantsing of a North Ballarat (a team that won one game for the year) flattered us. Coburg only won two games for the year, even they beat Sandy. After April we beat one full time AFL aligned side.

Combined with that we had one of the lowest injury lists in the AFL - everyone gets injuries so we cant use Minch as an excuse.

Our depth was roughly on par with the teams that missed VFL finals. We laugh at the depth of Carlton, North and Geelong and the amount of spuds that they have on their list. But we finished roughly where they did.

All as I am saying is that the 5 blokes we bought in this period should help a lot (Clarke especially). But lets not kid ourselves. Outside of the backline (and only after this trade / draft) our depth is very shallow

Sure. We weren't 11th in a 14 team comp where 2 teams were not close to VFL standard? The last round 100point pantsing of a North Ballarat (a team that won one game for the year) flattered us. Coburg only won two games for the year, even they beat Sandy. After April we beat one full time AFL aligned side.

Combined with that we had one of the lowest injury lists in the AFL - everyone gets injuries so we cant use Minch as an excuse.

Our depth was roughly on par with the teams that missed VFL finals. We laugh at the depth of Carlton, North and Geelong and the amount of spuds that they have on their list. But we finished roughly where they did.

All as I am saying is that the 5 blokes we bought in this period should help a lot (Clarke especially). But lets not kid ourselves. Outside of the backline (and only after this trade / draft) our depth is very shallow

I think we have the best depth we've had at the club in 40 years. Easily.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we have the best depth we've had at the club in 40 years. Easily.
Hear that a bit and have no idea where it has come from. Outside of a few games by Paddy, Lonie and Hick, its not like we have anyone in the seconds smashing down the door for selection.

Personally I would say the end of our last rebuild looked better by a fair way. Not just at the top end, and for depth available and contributing

04 team (towards the end of that rebuild. Shame it never got on the park together)

S.Fisher - M.Hudghton - S.Baker
A.Jones – M.Maguire - B.Voss
H.Black – L.Ball – N.Dal Santo
X.Clarke – N.Riewoldt - B.Goddard
S.Milne – F.Gherig - A.Hamill
J.Koschitzke - L.Hayes – R.Harvey
A.Thompson – S.Powell – J.Blake - T. Swartze

Players not getting a game (who actually played and contributed that year as opposed to just new draftees who came at the end of that year and turned into guns eg Gilbert)

J. Peckett, L.Montagna, B.Guerra, L.Penny, J.Gram, T.Knobel, L.Fisher, R.Clarke, B.Moyle, M. Ferguson, A.Murray

17 team example (towards the end of this rebuild)

Geary - Brown - Webster
Roberton - Carlisle - Savage
Newnes - Steele - Sincs
Billings - Bruce - Weller
Gresh - Paddy - Membery
Longer - Steven - Ross
Acres - Armo - Gilbert - Dunstan

Players not getting a game (Depth players who have played AFL and contributed, but as above not including potential guns such as Hunter who have barely stepped into an AFL environment)

Stevens, White, Hickey, Lonie, Austin, Goddard, McKenzie, Wright, Battle, Long, Minchi, Marshall

Saying it is the best depth in 40 years is a very big call. Saying 'easily' is a bit over the top when you compare the above. Personally, I would take the top group by a fair margin, and I have my fingers crossed that two of the bottom depth group become as good as any of the first 5 depth in the top group. End of the day I hope you are right, and I do like the way we are slowly shaping up. But currently I struggle to see too much depth outside of the back half. Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Lol we don't have depth. We have a handful of players who dominate at VFL then look like s**t at AFL level. Depth is being able to cover your injuries/suspensions with players who can come in and play the role of the missing player well and have an impact. We don't have that at all.

Drama Queen

That's probably true to a degree but we were very disappointing for a building team. There weren't a lot pushing their case every week and the selections were often perplexing. The Dogs, Hawks and geelong for example always had strong VFL form before making a serious finals charge at AFL level.

Lol we don't have depth. We have a handful of players who dominate at VFL then look like s**t at AFL level. Depth is being able to cover your injuries/suspensions with players who can come in and play the role of the missing player well and have an impact. We don't have that at all.

Lol. We have the best depth in 40 years.
You disagree and say we don't have depth. This is the only time in my lifetime of following the Saints, over 40 years, when there are plenty of players in the two's and nobody I'd like to drop. I can make a rd1 22 for next season and have at least 5/6 players that I'd like to squeeze in. That, for me, is depth. No eddy's or Maqualters, some of our bottom 6 in our good years were appalling. That 04 list was good but never got on the park.

That's probably true to a degree but we were very disappointing for a building team. There weren't a lot pushing their case every week and the selections were often perplexing. The Dogs, Hawks and geelong for example always had strong VFL form before making a serious finals charge at AFL level.
Richmond as well. Don't think it's any coincidence that teams dominating and winning flags/going deep in finals do well in the AFL, Sandringham just like us have been hovering around and just out of the 8.

Lol. We have the best depth in 40 years.
You disagree and say we don't have depth. This is the only time in my lifetime of following the Saints, over 40 years, when there are plenty of players in the two's and nobody I'd like to drop. I can make a rd1 22 for next season and have at least 5/6 players that I'd like to squeeze in. That, for me, is depth. No eddy's or Maqualters, some of our bottom 6 in our good years were appalling. That 04 list was good but never got on the park.

I think Mini was a decent player and probably better than Minch and Wright, but Ross was playing him in a role that is now common place, but back then looked ridiculous. No-one really knew why we had a small forward who was chasing players instead of trying to score bags of goals. These days no-one would question him as much. He was playing the Mav Weller defender in the forward line who runs back up the field to help out the mids or provide a link up option.

We are building up depth and this year we should have another group of kids that much closer and plenty more pushing for a spot. We have pretty much rebuilt completely from our last finals teams with only Gilbert any real contributor in that time.

"I'd have Hunter Clark at No.2. There's no real chinks in his game and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up the best player from this draft."

Can't be a bigger wrap than that!
That could've been elshaug saying that.

That could've been elshaug saying that.

I reckon he’s a gun. He looks like he’s got an all round game and I didn’t get why he wasn’t higher rated. Brayshaw won’t be as good.

Was talking to a bloke at work today about the draft. His missus works at Hunter's school and he had plenty of praise for the kid. For anyone thinking he was soft-soaping me, he taught another player his own club drafted at some stage (keeping it vague deliberately, won't say which club or when) and reckons a dumber specimen never set foot in his classroom.

Yay for getting the good ones!

23926305_10155487270353183_5097266946168461054_o.jpg

Just give it to 'em HUNTER!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back