Welcome Welcome National Draft Pick #90 - asdfghjkl

Remove this Banner Ad

It's nonsensical that we'd have enough coin for Gibbs but end up going in one short. The last pick is certainly a Hail Mary, but surely salary cap and profitability won't be standing in the way of procuring a 5th rounder. Just when you think there's a consistent and understandable message coming from the club.
It allows us a beech or greenwood upgrade

We were prepared to sign Gibbs, paying a first year player shouldn't cause salary cap concerns.

Our first rookie pick will be after 12 other clubs, fair chance our first choice won't be available but he would have been last night.

I agree it's a little strange, but it's a reason that some people were mentioning on draft night.

Other option is we'd rather upgrade an existing rookie during the season whenever we want

I don't see the logic in passing when there was supposed to be so much talent left.

Gives us a rookie upgrade without needing a LTI or it being mid season.

Perhaps we're hoping a Greenwood really comes on.

I don't see the logic in passing when there was supposed to be so much talent left.
It's a strategic move not a salary related one.

We have 3 rookies - Beach, Greenwood & Keath who we consider to be ahead of our last national draft pick. It now gives us flexibility to upgrade 1 of these based on need in 2017.

I can see a couple of Possibilities
1- Could boil down to now having the ability to sit back and selecting the best performed or required type of player out of 7 players to upgrade at the start or during the year. ie Hunter, Breech, Greenwood, Keath, Jarman , pick 13 and pick 31.
2- It could be a simple case that Greenwood, Keath or Beech are better than any draft picks left after pick 70

They also would have done their homework and looked ahead to see that type of player they wanted will be around when they pick them.

We have 3 rookies - Beach, Greenwood & Keath who we consider to be ahead of our last national draft pick. It now gives us flexibility to upgrade 1 of these based on need in 2017.
Clubs always find a way to upgrade a rookie, whether it's the inevitable but hopefully avoidable long term injury and aren't we allowed to upgrade a player after a number of games?

I just hope we don't miss out on a quality long term over a strategic move that's a short term gain only.

Clubs always find a way to upgrade a rookie, whether it's the inevitable but hopefully avoidable long term injury and aren't we allowed to upgrade a player after a number of games?

I just hope we don't miss out on a quality long term over a strategic move that's a short term gain only.
If there was someone left we really, really wanted, then we would have used the pick, as we have in the past.

It's not at all salary cap related. It's about keeping maximum flexibility in our list noting that in the coming years there won't be a rookie list.

Expect a lot of teams to go with 38/39

If there was someone left we really, really wanted, then we would have used the pick, as we have in the past.
So it wasn't strategic, it's was based on quality?

I don't know because I'm no guru, but there seems to be a lot of players with decent reputations not picked. I'd rather take a punt for a couple of years and delist if no good.

So it wasn't strategic, it's was based on quality?

I don't know because I'm no guru, but there seems to be a lot of players with decent reputations not picked. I'd rather take a punt for a couple of years and delist if no good.
We now have the flexibility to upgrade the rookie we need as there are 3 who could be of use in 2017.

There was no outstanding talent that we are worried about missing, so the advantage of upgrade flexibility of these players we think can make an impact is greater than getting say 5th player next on our list in RD (or our next priority may be Jarman).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We now have the flexibility to upgrade the rookie we need as there are 3 who could be of use in 2017.

There was no outstanding talent that we are worried about missing, so the advantage of upgrade flexibility of these players we think can make an impact is greater than getting say 5th player next on our list in RD (or our next priority may be Jarman).
Will be interesting if there actually is some outstanding talent before our first rookie pick.

Will be interesting if there actually is some outstanding talent before our first rookie pick.
If there was someone we thought was outstanding, we would have drafted them.

No doubt there will be rookies who turn into decent players.

I think we planned to go into the season 2 short for salary cap reasons, not because we are bursting, but because we expect to be bursting next year. Going in 2 short would allow us to front load a couple contracts and still remain at 95% allowing us to go 105% in 2018 with a chunk of a couple player's contracts already paid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back