Welcome New Posters - Introduction Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A thread for new GWS posters.

A noble place to plant your flag and let us know who you are

Introduce yourself and let us know something about yourself.

Some "primer" questions:
  1. How did you come to be a Giants fan?
  2. Who is your favourite Giant and why?
  3. What's your favourite memory as a GWS fan?
  4. How do you like your eggs? ;)

Consider this thread a decent starting point if you just want to check in, say hi, be welcomed etc. Give people a sense of where you are from and your history as a supporter.

Welcome to the Greater Western Sydney forum on BigFooty!!

Last edited:
Hi team.

I am a dual citizen of the Crows and Giants. You should know I am loyal to the Giants king, unless they are doing battle with the Crows, but that's hardly ever so don't worry about it.

My favourite memory is beating Port in...year 1? That was a good day.

My favourite player is Adam Treloar, um, I mean Toby Greene. Why does his head tilt back so far, is he part-bobblehead.

I grew up in SA and follow the Crows. (I repeat myself.)

I lived in Sydney from 2011-2013 and 2016-now.

The Giants came in at the right time to be a member for the first two seasons. I don't think I saw them win! Maybe once vs Gold Coast? But they never surrendered and it was fun to see the young quality characters improve each week.

In 2014-2015 I lived in London and watched every game on the AFL live pass.

Back in Sydney and went to home games again in 2016. Things had really turned around from the early days.

This year I can't go to games, but hopefully from next season I can come along with one extra person in a tiny Giants jumper...

So, I am a bit of a journeyman regarding following VFL/AFL teams. Started with Carlton, crossed to West Coast and now a Giant. It kinda follows my journey in terms of where I have lived during my 47 years. It also says a bit about whether I can support a club with a poor culture. So far, the Giants have been outstanding in this regard. My former supported clubs? Not so much.

I am proud to be a dual Foundation Member of the Giants AFL and AFLW. My spouse is also a Foundation Member. My two kids are too, but not enduring members as their lives have taken away from the area. My best memory was being at our first final win over Sydney at ANZ, with the family. Magic evening!

I love Jezza Cameron. Love the way he goes about his footy. His community work is awesome and easily the king of the kids. On and off the field, there is much to be admired.

Edit: Eggs? Benedict all the way baby.

Last edited:

Born and raised in league territory(MtDruitt)
Hate what league has become and how my club, tiges, have become.
Giants were originally just a team to have an interest in whenever i checked on the AFL.
How that changed quickly.
Love the club and everything they are doing.
Mistakes have been made but they always would happen in any start up.

The majority of right calls have been made.
Flying the flag in the Central West now.

Fav game? 1st final against the Swans. What a night

Fav Giant? Patton. Think he is something special. With the lack of injuries (fingers crossed) we will now see it.

Fav Giant Memory? Wife's 1st game. Went from an Aussie rules hater to a Giant in the space of 4 quarters.

How do i like my eggs? I hate eggs.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I think most of this is already out there but here's my 2c :)

I'm a long term Saints man, came home from the hospital in a hand made red white and black blanket 53 years ago..
My parents were Saints members, as was my grandfather and his father.
Grandpa was a recruiter for the Saints in the Warrnambool district as well as calling the local games on radio.
I went to games I don't remember up until 6 when my family moved to a remote island in the Pacific for ~ 10 years, all we had was whatever Radio National broadcast on a SW radio until VHS came along and we had amateur recordings of the games shipped up.
At about 12 I started coming back to Australia for school and rediscovered my team and grew to strongly ID myself as a Sainter at every opportunity which was looked at as pretty strange as we weren't very successful at the time.. Currently at 17 consecutive years as a member this stretch.

So why GWS?
I moved to Sydney at the same time the Swans did, for almost 30 years the only live footy I could access was the Saints vs the Swans at the SCG (when they played in Sydney that year). I love the game but rarely got to see it as it should be seen.
In 2012 I was at my brothers house for a rare family get together (my family are spread across the country) and my mother was watching the WCE smack the crap out of the giants, I sat down with her to watch and become enraptured by a young forward who just led and led and led and then led, ball barely went near him but he worked his arse off till the final siren. I told my mother who thought he was being ridiculous that the kid will be a superstar one day, and JC is pretty close to that now.
Some months later my wife and I agreed we wanted live footy and the only way to get that when you live in Sydney and loathe the Swans was to join the Giants. Have been members since halfway through that year, missed one home game at Spotless and been to the Manuka ones since.
Have come to be very passionate about our Giants, love the club, the players and most of the supporters :)

Who is your favourite Giant and why?
Zac Williams, I just love the way he takes the game on, it may occasionally backfire, but when it comes off it's glorious

What's your favourite memory as a GWS fan?
Beating the Swans for the first time at home, I had tears streaming down my face from about 5 minutes to go, I looked around and was surrounded by people in the same state, so proud.

How do you like your eggs?
Sunny side up, on Vegemite toast :p

sorry, totally ran into 3c worth.....

:)Despite my commitment to distestablishmentarianism I've decided to comply and post in this thread. Maybe says something of my respect for our new leader.

I grew up supporting AFL and like most of my generation had a local club West Broken Hill ( go the Robins) , SA club Gelenelg and VFL club Hawthorn.
Reality of frequent trips to Adelaide as a teenager meant I identified mostly as a Bays supporter as a teenager. Played a little as a youngster but it seemed to be a unanimous view I should quit at a very young age and never try again. As it was told to me, but for fitness, coordination, courage and commitment I had all the makings of a mediocre country footballer.

Moved to Sydney as a 17yo and could not bring myself to support the Swans in the Edelston era or any period thereafter. I haven't always lived in Sydney but was an interstate Hawthorn member for the majority of that time. Trudged off to the SCG once a year when they played the Swans but in truth drifted away from my love of the game with the difficulty of watching games live. Crows are actually my second club and was very close to switching when they were created.

For all that I was a Hawks supporter the 2016 win over them is my favourite game. I'm not a dual suporter but will always have a huge amount of respect for their club I think it was an outstanding and ground breaking achievement to give them a whooping.

Loved the idea of the Giants starting in my backyard and have the 2011 foundation cap.

Didn't actuallly attend some games until 2014 and was a Sydney Giant in 2015, 2016. The early years coincided with a difficult period personally for me but I wont dwell on that. I was in Sydney only for a small portion of that period.

Ultimate Giant this year and wiĺl be ongoing. St Kilda was the first game I've not attended this year and loving it. There will be others I'll miss but I really love watching the Giants live and TV a poor second choice.

Matt Buntine my favourite player. I love his heart and effort in the backline but I wouldn't pick an argument with someone who said Adam Kennedy.

I will make an effort to travel to a cafe who does an egg and bacon roll with a soft yolk, think about catching a train if the egg is of real quality.

Last edited:
How did you come to be a Giants fan?
I was a rugby league tragic growing up and most of family followed primarily rugby league except for my brother who was also into AFL, he supported the Swans. Had seen a few finals games in previous years but it wasn't until 2011 that I began actually following the the sport a bit and giving it more attention than a quick glance as I walked by the TV. At that point I didn't really follow a team, but if there was one that I barracked for more than others it might have been the Swans. From there my interest grew exponentially and then it all just fell into place when I found out Western Sydney were getting a team.

Dylan Shiel. I just love the way he goes about things. He epitomises class and professionalism, both on and off the field.

First win vs the Swans. Followed very, very closely by last year's finals win over the Swans.

A thread for new GWS posters.

A noble place to plant your flag and let us know who you are

Introduce yourself and let us know something about yourself.

Some "primer" questions:
  1. How did you come to be a Giants fan?
  2. Who is your favourite Giant and why?
  3. What's your favourite memory as a GWS fan?
  4. How do you like your eggs? ;)

Consider this thread a decent starting point if you just want to check in, say hi, be welcomed etc. Give people a sense of where you are from and your history as a supporter.

Welcome to the Greater Western Sydney forum on BigFooty!!

1) Being a Sydney-Sider who hated the Swans, who else was I ever going to start barracking for?
2) Nick Haynes - does anyone need a reason for him to be your favourite? Closely followed by Greene, though.
3) Too many to count, but beating Swans for the first time (and then the second time, and then the third time and then the fourth time...) would be right up there.
4) Poached - I am not a savage.

1) Being a Sydney-Sider who hated the Swans, who else was I ever going to start barracking for?
2) Nick Haynes - does anyone need a reason for him to be your favourite? Closely followed by Greene, though.
3) Too many to count, but beating Swans for the first time (and then the second time, and then the third time and then the fourth time...) would be right up there.
4) Poached - I am not a savage.
AFL background. Or just took to the great game? Seems about 50-50 on our board.

Nah mate, Rugby League background.

Grew up playing and watching nothing else but Rugby League. Now it bores me to tears.
People like you are the future of the Giants. Those of dislocated AFL fans were a dead cert but the ckub needs growth and that can only come from supporters who convert, or at least add.

Last edited:
Hey

I grew up in Carlton, across the road from Princes Park. Every weekend my Dad would take us to watch the last quarter of the games as they opened the gates at three quarter time. I always assumed i would be a life long Carlton supporter.
My family moved to Sydney on the day of the bicentenary , so I've been living here for almost thirty years. My love for footy has never diminished in that time.
Following the footy in Sydney has always been a little weird. Whilst I have been a swans member at various times, and worn their guernsey on a few grand final days, they could never take Carlton's place. I still go to a few swans games every year - I live ten minutes walk from the SCG.
Its been a long time since Carlton were any good. As far as I can recall I haven't seen Carlton win a game live since the early 90's when the swans were crap. Still remember a bloke telling me as we walked out of the ground "Its not that the Blues were good, its that the Swans are so bad."
Most of my good friends these days come from my time playing footy with Macquarie Uni. So footy is a big part of our life. When the Giants played their first game, we all went along, keen to see the new kids. I was firmly behind the giants that day. I remember this kid in jumper 34 getting the ball at one stage on his knees, handballing over his shoulder and hitting a target. My man crush on Devon Smith started right there.
So we got memberships. My mates live in Five Dock, and we found out the Palace Hotel in Concord were offering a free bus service to the games. So we took advantage. One we got back to the club after the game, we find out the whole club is there and quite welcoming. So we kept going back, and following the Giants.
Since that first year I, and my mates, have been members. We stand behind the goals with a growing number of family and friends at the scoreboard end and moan when the beer queues are full of opposition supporters. Or waiting for Jeremy Cameron to kick the ball from the goalsquare into the bar. Since that first year, Carlton have done nothing at all to maintain my support. Around 2014 I started to realise that I was changing teams. This is a confronting emotion for a man, but I've come through it stronger and supporter a much better club. I think it helps that the Giants don't have any history over my life with Carlton. They aren't traditional enemies I have despised my whole life.
Now, if I can just find a way to change my user name, everything will be all good.

Hey

I grew up in Carlton, across the road from Princes Park. Every weekend my Dad would take us to watch the last quarter of the games as they opened the gates at three quarter time. I always assumed i would be a life long Carlton supporter.
My family moved to Sydney on the day of the bicentenary , so I've been living here for almost thirty years. My love for footy has never diminished in that time.
Following the footy in Sydney has always been a little weird. Whilst I have been a swans member at various times, and worn their guernsey on a few grand final days, they could never take Carlton's place. I still go to a few swans games every year - I live ten minutes walk from the SCG.
Its been a long time since Carlton were any good. As far as I can recall I haven't seen Carlton win a game live since the early 90's when the swans were crap. Still remember a bloke telling me as we walked out of the ground "Its not that the Blues were good, its that the Swans are so bad."
Most of my good friends these days come from my time playing footy with Macquarie Uni. So footy is a big part of our life. When the Giants played their first game, we all went along, keen to see the new kids. I was firmly behind the giants that day. I remember this kid in jumper 34 getting the ball at one stage on his knees, handballing over his shoulder and hitting a target. My man crush on Devon Smith started right there.
So we got memberships. My mates live in Five Dock, and we found out the Palace Hotel in Concord were offering a free bus service to the games. So we took advantage. One we got back to the club after the game, we find out the whole club is there and quite welcoming. So we kept going back, and following the Giants.
Since that first year I, and my mates, have been members. We stand behind the goals with a growing number of family and friends at the scoreboard end and moan when the beer queues are full of opposition supporters. Or waiting for Jeremy Cameron to kick the ball from the goalsquare into the bar. Since that first year, Carlton have done nothing at all to maintain my support. Around 2014 I started to realise that I was changing teams. This is a confronting emotion for a man, but I've come through it stronger and supporter a much better club. I think it helps that the Giants don't have any history over my life with Carlton. They aren't traditional enemies I have despised my whole life.
Now, if I can just find a way to change my user name, everything will be all good.
Here you go mate

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/index.php?threads/262674/

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey

I think it's the case for a lit of us that the Giants were more acceptable as a blank canvas. Club has a way of wiñning you over though.

Ps Gold membership is $10 and would do it for about the price of a pint. Then it's a menu option Biggest issue for me was figuring out how to pay by paypal.

Last edited:
1.How did you come to be a Giants fan?

Originally from NSW but moved to VIC for work the same year the the Giants came into the comp. Having grown up in St Marys and been a casual follower of the AFL I decided to take it on and also liked the idea of following a team from its inception.

2.Who is your favourite Giant and why?

It's really hard to have a favourite player given the transient nature of the game where players are constantly coming and going. I do love the way Greene, Whitfield and Haynes go about it. Greene is not much to look at, is not super fast or athletic but he is just a competitor and has so much pride in his performance. Lachie is another who is a very hard worker and also comes across as a top bloke in the stuff Ive seen from him on Social Media and when interviewed. Haynes I have a soft spot for because he was a guy I was really angry the club drafted as at the time it looked like a reach as he was a 2nd round projected player. As a defender in a very young side early doors he looked hopeless as all his errors led to goals but over time he has developed and is now one of the key planks of the team. I love that he completely proved me wrong and I love that he always puts his body on the line. Picking favourite players at the Giants is like picking a favourite child...I love them all.

3.What's your favourite memory as a GWS fan?
Its very hard to split our first victory in the comp against the Gold Coast back in 2012 or our victory against the Sydney Swans in the finals last year. Both were amazing days that I will never ever forget.

4.Other Teams supported?

Canterbury Bulldogs
Philadelphia Eagles
Aston Villa

5. Most Hated Team?

I try not to be prejudicial and hate all other teams equally but there is a special hate deep in my heart for Collingwood. I always disliked them but Eddie Maguire has just turned that into full blown hate. He is just a sanctimonious, self interested c*** and absolutely no good at all. I wish nothing but sustained misery for him and Collingwood.

6. Favourite Non Giants Players?

I've always marveled at the indigenous players because of their speed and incredible ball skills. I would happily pay good money to watch Eddie Betts play anywhere as he is a genius, same goes for Cyril Rioli and Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti is rapidly becoming my favourite player to watch.

7. What are some changes you would make to the game?

I think we have seen in recent times a lot of situations where teams are reduced in rotations due to injuries or even foul play. I think this is not really fair and if I had my way they would have 2 of the emergencies available to replace players who are injured and cannot return to the game.

8.What if any would you change to the draft?

I would definitely introduce live trading and increase the number of years for future trading to at least 1 more year and possibly 2. The draft is a liquid process, teams need to be able to adjust as it unfolds and teams need to have the opportunity to have flexibility to use their currency for maximum gain.

For example last year we drafted in two players in Kennedy and Hopper that are very similar and also very similar to a number of other players on our list. With live trading we could have traded one of those kids that we were compelled to draft due to the mechanism of Academy selections and find another need like a speedy winger or back up ruckman. Live trading works great in the USA and would be super for the AFL and would provide a much more exciting draft night spectacle as well.

I also think the original draft contract should be increased to 3 years minimum. Poor Brisbane...I feel sick for them and if we start losing games we could face the same issue.

Last edited:
1.How did you come to be a Giants fan?

Originally from NSW but moved to VIC for work the same year the the Giants came into the comp. Having grown up in St Marys and been a casual follower of the AFL I decided to take it on and also liked the idea of following a team from its inception.

I lived on Whitley Close until I was 4 and we moved to the inner-west. As a fellow Victorian, do you go to the Melbourne Giants functions?

I lived on Whitley Close until I was 4 and we moved to the inner-west. As a fellow Victorian, do you go to the Melbourne Giants functions?

I haven't mate, I actually attended both the finals last year in Sydney where I flew up and am a VIC Member but my work often clashes with games. I went to Bennett Road Primary School years ago, not sure if it is still around.

I am actually a Queenslander born and bred, so grew up on rugby league & union. However, I enjoy a lot of sports (played or watch) & used to watch the AFL match of the day as a lad. First game ever watched was Carlton vs Collingwood, so always have a soft spot for the Blues, and for the Pies ... not so much. After leaving school I lived in Canberra, Melbourne, Perth & Sydney, so got some more direct exposure to AFL. My wife is from SA, so more AFL there. From the 90s I cheered remotely for Brisbane Bears then Lions, and the great years were when Lions, Broncos & Maroons all won.

Although we lived in Sydney for some time, I never really warmed greatly to the Swans, and they never penetrated western Sydney where we lived. So it was not until my son started Auskick in the late noughties, just when GWS was starting up, that prompted a closer AFL following. I will admit that my first thought was that AFL wouldn't make it in western Sydney, but my second thought was that we needed to support it if it was going to have a chance of success. Hence, we attended matches in 2012, saw the Port win, and became GWS members in 2013. Something about following a club from its inception that makes it worthwhile. All 4 of our household are GWS members, but unfortunately one (daughter) supports Swans mostly. So our greatest day (and one of her worst) was the round 1 2014 match when GWS beat the Swans in the massive thunderstorm, which remains a fantastic memory; closely followed by last year's ANZ final.

As you might guess, Toby is my & our favourite player. Loved him from the first year, because he never took a backward step & would always be the first guy in to protect his mates, as well as being talented. My son wore 4 when he started playing junior AFL, so he too feels kinship with Toby. Of course, hard to choose just one favourite, so Jezza, Haynesy, Dev, Lachie, Cogs & Zac also get extra cheers.

We have moved to Canberra now, so have become Canberra members, but still get back up for some of the Sydney matches when work permits.

I am actually a Queenslander born and bred, so grew up on rugby league & union. However, I enjoy a lot of sports (played or watch) & used to watch the AFL match of the day as a lad. First game ever watched was Carlton vs Collingwood, so always have a soft spot for the Blues, and for the Pies ... not so much. After leaving school I lived in Canberra, Melbourne, Perth & Sydney, so got some more direct exposure to AFL. My wife is from SA, so more AFL there. From the 90s I cheered remotely for Brisbane Bears then Lions, and the great years were when Lions, Broncos & Maroons all won.

Although we lived in Sydney for some time, I never really warmed greatly to the Swans, and they never penetrated western Sydney where we lived. So it was not until my son started Auskick in the late noughties, just when GWS was starting up, that prompted a closer AFL following. I will admit that my first thought was that AFL wouldn't make it in western Sydney, but my second thought was that we needed to support it if it was going to have a chance of success. Hence, we attended matches in 2012, saw the Port win, and became GWS members in 2013. Something about following a club from its inception that makes it worthwhile. All 4 of our household are GWS members, but unfortunately one (daughter) supports Swans mostly. So our greatest day (and one of her worst) was the round 1 2014 match when GWS beat the Swans in the massive thunderstorm, which remains a fantastic memory; closely followed by last year's ANZ final.

As you might guess, Toby is my & our favourite player. Loved him from the first year, because he never took a backward step & would always be the first guy in to protect his mates, as well as being talented. My son wore 4 when he started playing junior AFL, so he too feels kinship with Toby. Of course, hard to choose just one favourite, so Jezza, Haynesy, Dev, Lachie, Cogs & Zac also get extra cheers.

We have moved to Canberra now, so have become Canberra members, but still get back up for some of the Sydney matches when work permits.
Great story.
Ditto on the bolded, I was there and cried both times, and tbh, that's probably happened 5 times in my adult life :)

Last edited:
I am actually a Queenslander born and bred, so grew up on rugby league & union. However, I enjoy a lot of sports (played or watch) & used to watch the AFL match of the day as a lad.

Yep, yep and yep.

From the 90s I cheered remotely for Brisbane Bears then Lions, and the great years were when Lions, Broncos & Maroons all won.

Yep and yep.

Although we lived in Sydney for some time, I never really warmed greatly to the Swans, and they never penetrated western Sydney where we lived.

Yep and yep.

Hence, we attended matches in 2012, saw the Port win, and became GWS members in 2013. Something about following a club from its inception that makes it worthwhile.

Yep and yep (though foundation members instead).

Amazingly similar! :)

How did you come to be a Giants fan?
First started watching the footy in the early 2000s but loved footy as a sport in general rather than really following a team. Sort of followed along with friends and barracked for Essendon for a while but would not say I was a passionate fan. With the introduction of the new clubs, for some reason took a liking to the GWS team. Barracked for them from the start and really appreciate the evolution of the team from the early days to where they are now. Love the way the team plays and recently bought all my supporter gear and started going to their Melbourne matches too. I am now a passionate GWS supporter and watching their matches in some shape or form every week. The boys have put me on the edge of my seat the last few weeks but the effort from players probably considered outside our best 22 is a real positive sign.

Really loving the inside and outside game of Kelly this year. The way he gathers possessions and seems to slow down time to make great decisions in traffic is great to watch. Also love the speed of Shiel out of stoppages, Jezza's work rate and presence around goals as well as the running power of Scully who can open up space for our other players.

When we made the finals for the first time last year and we put on a great team performance against the Swans.

Eggs?
Sunny side up!

Hi All,

At the recommendation of Determinant I wanted to pop in and introduce myself. Anyone that posts in the Supercoach forum will probably know me because that's where I've spent all my time on Bigfooty to this point.

I wanted to start posting on the GWS board but thought I should check the waters with the moderator first, given that my profile shows me as a hawks supporter.
Here's my story:
I'm in my mid 40's now and have only followed AFL for the last 8 years. Was always a league person until that point. I have a mate in Melbourne who, in 2010, talked me into entering a Supercoach team in the league he had going. At that time I knew virtually none of players so he helped me get started. It is through Supercoach that I developed a real passion for watching AFL. Through Supercoach I started following the players in my team, and from there I just started enjoying watching the games. I now ask myself what I was missing out on all those years having hardly ever watched an AFL game prior to 2010.

After my first year of playing Supercoach/ watching AFL, I still didn't have a team that I supported and I my mate told me I need to commit to a team. I ended up choosing the hawks simply because that was the team that I had most SC players from in my first year. So while my profile says I'm a Hawks supporter, I follow GWS extremely closely given that I live just outside Sydney.

I've watched the build at both Gold Coast and GWS. Gold Coast have stuffed theirs up royally, and GWS has been just about perfect with theirs. I have loved watching their development. I'm not sure that I'll get the chance to attend too many games but I would definitely like to take an active role in contributing to this board.

Favourite player: Josh Kelly.
Favourite moment: First victory over the Swans.

I live near Wyong on the NSW central coast.

Hi All,

At the recommendation of Determinant I wanted to pop in and introduce myself. Anyone that posts in the Supercoach forum will probably know me because that's where I've spent all my time on Bigfooty to this point.

I wanted to start posting on the GWS board but thought I should check the waters with the moderator first, given that my profile shows me as a hawks supporter.
Here's my story:
I'm in my mid 40's now and have only followed AFL for the last 8 years. Was always a league person until that point. I have a mate in Melbourne who, in 2010, talked me into entering a Supercoach team in the league he had going. At that time I knew virtually none of players so he helped me get started. It is through Supercoach that I developed a real passion for watching AFL. Through Supercoach I started following the players in my team, and from there I just started enjoying watching the games. I now ask myself what I was missing out on all those years having hardly ever watched an AFL game prior to 2010.

After my first year of playing Supercoach/ watching AFL, I still didn't have a team that I supported and I my mate told me I need to commit to a team. I ended up choosing the hawks simply because that was the team that I had most SC players from in my first year. So while my profile says I'm a Hawks supporter, I follow GWS extremely closely given that I live just outside Sydney.

I've watched the build at both Gold Coast and GWS. Gold Coast have stuffed theirs up royally, and GWS has been just about perfect with theirs. I have loved watching their development. I'm not sure that I'll get the chance to attend too many games but I would definitely like to take an active role in contributing to this board.

Favourite player: Josh Kelly.
Favourite moment: First victory over the Swans.

I live near Wyong on the NSW central coast.
I was once a Hawks interstate member and followed them for many years. Odd thing about not being a Giants supporter in your case is you're pretty new to AFL.
I'd suggest looking at attending games if you can, unlike other codes Aussie rules is way better live in my view.
Welcome though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back