List Mgmt. Welcome new rookies: Sean McLaren, Nic Newman, Lewis Melican, Jordan Foote

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a hell of a lot to like about Mclaren and Melican. The more I read on these guys there more I think weve scored two gems. Wouldnt surprise me if they leap frog our other developing key position defenders. Would be great if Melican hasnt stopped growing yet too.

Yeah, big endorsement from Turner that he could be potential top 40 pick nxt yr - i'm thinking Alex Johnson type..tall, quick, competitive...looks to have good disposal under pressure.

Is there a risk of the go home factor with Melican?

I wouldn't have thought so, well no more than any other draftee. Gary Rohan is from the same district in Victoria so I should think that'll help him settle in at the Swans a bit.

Having read about him and seen his highlights, I like the look of Newman very much. His crisp delivery by foot I expect will stand out in the NEAFL.

But if I had to pick only one of these four for which I can get on their bandwagon, I'm picking McLaren. From his interviews he seems realistic and mature as well as having a very nice set of physical traits. I've selected him as my guy and there's nothing anyone can do about it, so there.

Having read about him and seen his highlights, I like the look of Newman very much. His crisp delivery by foot I expect will stand out in the NEAFL.

But if I had to pick only one of these four for which I can get on their bandwagon, I'm picking McLaren. From his interviews he seems realistic and mature as well as having a very nice set of physical traits. I've selected him as my guy and there's nothing anyone can do about it, so there.

Can join my predrafting bandwagon. Feel slightly hipster and therefore dirty saying that

Have snagged a look at the highlights. Dare say, if I was being optimistic Lewis Melican reminds me of the (soon to be) fought after KPD.

Alex Rance.

Wowee if it hits that standard. Love watching Rance dive 3m into a knee just to get a fist on the footy.

Melican got some dash which I do like. Hope he still grows a few cms.

As ever, basing views on short higlight reels is fraught with danger but I think Melican looks quite a lot like 19 yo Alex Johnson. Very similar size, similarly athletic, compact kicking style and a nice turn of pace.

McLaren is also a really good size for a key defender. He is 198cm which means he could in theory sit on the resting ruckman.

FFS its a highlights package, does anyone on here say look at their lowlights package ! No it doesn't happen, s**t I could still slot a couple of goals at 75 years of age and put it on you tube and say, what a goalkicking talent he is

Yes, but can you tackle and chase.
Horse is all about versatility.

Yes, but can you tackle and chase.
Horse is all about versatility.
If bedford can't tackle or chase we can easily put him in the forward line

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nic Newman next up formerly of Frankston.

An outstanding season saw Newman go from Frankston's development team in 2013 to second in its senior best and fairest in 2014. He's a terrific athlete and a prolific ball winner. Newman generally plays as a medium defender but can move up into the midfield. The 21-year-old averaged 24 touches at 70 per cent efficiency for the Dolphins.

cant wait to see this kid play seniors. i dont get a chanch to watch the ressies being in vic but what i have read he seems to have very good disposal, something i think we lack a little of half back. would love to se him play half back/wing and push forward, Malceski like role.

can anyone tell me what his speed is like?

cant wait to see this kid play seniors. i dont get a chanch to watch the ressies being in vic but what i have read he seems to have very good disposal, something i think we lack a little of half back. would love to se him play half back/wing and push forward, Malceski like role.

can anyone tell me what his speed is like?

Nothing special...I'd say similar to Parker!

I always thought Newman had the attributes to play the game but what we've seen from this fellow is nothing short of extraordinary. When he gets hold of the ball, it is uncanny how similar to Malceski this guy is. Buddy's eyes must light up when he has the ball. His evasive & tackling skills are wonderful to watch & he is winning over his senior team mates who are more than happy to utilise him at every opportunity.
A big factor as to why we are the best form team of the last 6 weeks.

Will be a long time before this guy plays NEAFL again.

Agree with Ted above. His improvement defensively, especially one on one contests has massively improved, probably the final catalyst to him becoming a best 22 player. His awareness and composure in traffic is impressive.

Yep. But one more thing. He tackles like a mongrel. He has that level of "unsocial" about him that this side has been missing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back