List Mgmt. Welcome Noah Long (Pick 58, 2022 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Mr Miagi going to instruct him?

shake-my-head-mr-miyagi.gif

Miyagi

Pass. Pass. Pass. Pass. Pass.

It was at this moment of the national draft, with picks fast running out and some clubs starting to pack up for the night, that Noah Long admits he had lost hope of realising his AFL dream.

“That feeling is probably, honestly, a feeling you will never forget,” Long told The West Australian.

“It’s sort of the first moment where it starts looking unlikely, as clubs are starting to pass (on their picks). That’s when you start to think, it’s coming to an end, the draft.

“When I saw the first ‘pass’, your heart sort of drops a little bit... and the nerves start kicking in a bit more.

“The realisation starts to become more real, that you might not be drafted.”

Then, out of nowhere, “with pick 58, the West Coast Eagles select Noah Long...” with the second-last selection of the draft.

“From quite a big low, all of a sudden, to a massive high,” Long said.
“We had sort of lost a little bit of hope... And then my name was read out and I was just ecstatic.

“It gets to that point, you just can’t believe it because you’ve ruled yourself out so much. It was quite emotional and it was very exciting at the same time.

“It was a long night watching the whole draft, getting right to the end and then getting picked up. It was bloody amazing.”

The 18-year-old said even when the Eagles selected him, he couldn’t immediately process that it was real.

“You actually can’t believe it. Just because you hear so many names get called out throughout the day,” he said.

“And then to finally hear yours get called out, but so late on, it’s actually sort of unbelievable in a sense.

“It’s something I’ll remember for my entire life and a moment I’ll cherish for sure.”

The emotional rollercoaster follows a tumultuous 12 months for the country Victoria product from border town Echuca.

After an interrupted off-season that included a torn MCL and tendonitis, disaster struck for the Bendigo Pioneers product - who said he was just starting to peak at the perfect time - when he broke his collarbone in round one of the NAB League.

“Obviously with a broken bone, you can tell it’s not going to really be a quick fix,” he said.

“It’s demoralising in a sense to think you’ve come from so far back already and you finally get there and you’re knocked back again.

“But looking back on it, it’s nearly been a good experience for myself, my younger self. It’s taught me stuff about myself that I wouldn’t have figured out otherwise.

“I have a really positive outlook, I’ve learned that about myself. And if you can learn how to deal with injuries and find the positive side of things, I feel like that can hold me in good stead for my transition into an AFL career.”

Looks 14, talks like he's 44.

As opposed to Dark Sharks who: Looks 44, talks like he's 14.

Sorry DS but I just couldn't resist that lol. ;) 🤠

(Log in to remove this ad.)

177cm so 1cm shorter than Daniel Kerr and 2cm taller than Willie Rioli.

Not gonna lie when I first saw we picked him up on the website I assumed it was someone related to Michael Long and got excited

Me too, thought it would likely be a kid out of the NT. There are a few Longs playing up there, one for Saint Mary's, whom I watch weekly to get my footy-fix.

Not gonna lie when I first saw we picked him up on the website I assumed it was someone related to Michael Long and got excited
Get excited anyway, the kid has talent. He first caught my eye in the Vic Country v WA game in the champs where he kicked a beautiful goal from the boundary under pressure and was just generally causing headaches in the forward line. I then went on and looked into him a bit more and really liked him. I was surprised we used our last pick and got really excited when I seen it was this kid we picked.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

He is built like Paul Hasleby . Looks like him in the face . Is he a good mark for his size ?

Same height as Zorko and Neale.

Perspective.......
Which is short in the AFL.

FWIW, I really rated him pre-draft. I think I mentioned him in March or something.

I think he's a good get, but he's shorter than the photo I commented on suggests, because of the way the photographer lined them up.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back