Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

Remove this Banner Ad

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

From the footage his skills don't seem exceptionally clean or polished, but seems to have great speed, agility and elusiveness. Seems like a pretty creative player, saw glimpses of good vision as well. Kicking skills leave a fair bit to be desired, and you'd expect someone with his skill set to have kicked a few more goals.

Creative types can be hit and miss, but he has a skill set that we really need in the team. If he was ready to play he'd be a great replacement for Mitchell, giving away glut of possession, but offering creativity and x factor in exchange, which would better complement our midfield.

He could really thrive in our team and could play a role in the midfield wing or half forward. The selection is growing on me.

9. Oliver Florent

Florent had some moments at the Champs but for me he was looking more like a third rounder rather than a first rounder after playing up forward for Metro and averaging 12 disposal a game across the four games. He had been consistent in the TAC but the concern was that he did not have the ability to step up to the next level. The All Star game though changed the perception of many including myself. With Brodie and Settlefield not playing, Florent got the chance onball and was one of the best on ground. He finished with 28 disposals in what was probably his best game of the year. He then followed that game up with a very good performance at the Combine.

At Combine, Florent was equal first in the clean hands test and the beep test. He was also top 10 in the agility test with an 8.26 and in the top 15% in the running jumps. His speed test was a bit slower than I expected at 3.02 but certainly good enough. He did have a couple of bad and unusual results though. His repeat sprint was particularly baffling at 26.06 which given decent speed and good endurance was hard to explain. The other was his 3km time which unlike his beep test was very average. Overall though I consider him to be a good athletic package.

Florent probably starts on a half forward flank but I am not sure he really stands out in that role. He is quite good getting up the ground and can deliver the ball into the 50 but I do not see him as a dangerous enough goal kicker at AFL level. He takes quite a few marks in space but in the contest his marking is nothing to write home about and his finishing around goal is poor. He lacks confidence and talks himself into missing shots on goal.

If Florent is going to succeed I see him doing so through the midfield although he still has a lot to learn in that role and needs to work on accumulating more of the ball. Despite picking up a very nice 28 disposals in the All Star game he did not get over 30 disposals in any of his TAC games and averaged a tick under 20 per game over the year. He regularly has very quiet periods during games and he disappears for significant periods. If I took him I would look to play him in the reserves next year purely as a midfielder. Let him work on his midfield skills and get them to a level where he can be introduced the year after and succeed.

Onball he has good elusiveness in traffic and gets to where the taps are going really nicely. He positions himself well to collect the ruck taps and his hands are pretty clean especially with the ball on the ground where he keeps his head down well. He does not have a lot of hurt factor when he is onball at the moment but he can give his team first use of the ball which is important.

Physically he has okay height although he tends to play short. He is still fairly fine in the upper body but his lower half is solid and he looks like he will fill out well as he matures. He lacks strength at the moment and will need to spend a lot of time in the gym in his early years. Both in the arms and through the body he needs greater strength and power.

Skills-wise is a bit of hit and miss at the moment but the good is very good. He is capable of delivering a lovely low kick to a target which can create opportunities for his team. On the other hand he does have more than his fair share of clangers which seem to go straight to the opposition. Teams will be hoping with more work his kicking will be more consistent and they can take the shockers out of his game. It could be something that is noticed early in his career. By hand he is pretty good and is capable of delivering a nice long handball is needed.

Florent has a high risk of failure and probably more than you would like in the top 10. It is entirely possible that he ends up another Christian Salem but the team that takes him will be hoping that they end up with another Zach Merrett on their hands.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/quigleys-2016-draft-rankings.1152444/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

9. Oliver Florent

Florent had some moments at the Champs but for me he was looking more like a third rounder rather than a first rounder after playing up forward for Metro and averaging 12 disposal a game across the four games. He had been consistent in the TAC but the concern was that he did not have the ability to step up to the next level. The All Star game though changed the perception of many including myself. With Brodie and Settlefield not playing, Florent got the chance onball and was one of the best on ground. He finished with 28 disposals in what was probably his best game of the year. He then followed that game up with a very good performance at the Combine.

At Combine, Florent was equal first in the clean hands test and the beep test. He was also top 10 in the agility test with an 8.26 and in the top 15% in the running jumps. His speed test was a bit slower than I expected at 3.02 but certainly good enough. He did have a couple of bad and unusual results though. His repeat sprint was particularly baffling at 26.06 which given decent speed and good endurance was hard to explain. The other was his 3km time which unlike his beep test was very average. Overall though I consider him to be a good athletic package.

Florent probably starts on a half forward flank but I am not sure he really stands out in that role. He is quite good getting up the ground and can deliver the ball into the 50 but I do not see him as a dangerous enough goal kicker at AFL level. He takes quite a few marks in space but in the contest his marking is nothing to write home about and his finishing around goal is poor. He lacks confidence and talks himself into missing shots on goal.

If Florent is going to succeed I see him doing so through the midfield although he still has a lot to learn in that role and needs to work on accumulating more of the ball. Despite picking up a very nice 28 disposals in the All Star game he did not get over 30 disposals in any of his TAC games and averaged a tick under 20 per game over the year. He regularly has very quiet periods during games and he disappears for significant periods. If I took him I would look to play him in the reserves next year purely as a midfielder. Let him work on his midfield skills and get them to a level where he can be introduced the year after and succeed.

Onball he has good elusiveness in traffic and gets to where the taps are going really nicely. He positions himself well to collect the ruck taps and his hands are pretty clean especially with the ball on the ground where he keeps his head down well. He does not have a lot of hurt factor when he is onball at the moment but he can give his team first use of the ball which is important.

Physically he has okay height although he tends to play short. He is still fairly fine in the upper body but his lower half is solid and he looks like he will fill out well as he matures. He lacks strength at the moment and will need to spend a lot of time in the gym in his early years. Both in the arms and through the body he needs greater strength and power.

Skills-wise is a bit of hit and miss at the moment but the good is very good. He is capable of delivering a lovely low kick to a target which can create opportunities for his team. On the other hand he does have more than his fair share of clangers which seem to go straight to the opposition. Teams will be hoping with more work his kicking will be more consistent and they can take the shockers out of his game. It could be something that is noticed early in his career. By hand he is pretty good and is capable of delivering a nice long handball is needed.

Florent has a high risk of failure and probably more than you would like in the top 10. It is entirely possible that he ends up another Christian Salem but the team that takes him will be hoping that they end up with another Zach Merrett on their hands.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/quigleys-2016-draft-rankings.1152444/
So glad you have watched him play and develop in to a star

At first he hated the thought of going to another state. But due to his mums conection to Tom Harley, life will be easier and the family will move north. Good luck to the kid and he is now in the best club.
What's the connection? The whole family going to move you say?

Always happy to see the new draftees come on board. So much potential & hope. However I've had my eye on Florent in particular though. After such a hard year I think he showed the kind of mental toughness we as a club are built on.

Kelly. Kirk. Goodes. Kizza. Macca. All captains who have shown similar mental strength. I'm not comparing him to those champions or saying he'll be a superstar like them. But for me, he's a great young prospect who's shown more than just some speed, endurance or footskills.

It easy enough to build the physicallities required into a player through training etc. It's a hell of a lot harder to change someones attitude, behaviours, values & mental toughness. Life does that first before you get a chance at moulding it & shaping it into what you need.

He seems like a great young man who's done it tough the last year or so but managed to perform. That's a trait which we as a club should be able to utilise & value.

Good luck to him. I hope he digs in & becomes a champion blood.

Always happy to see the new draftees come on board. So much potential & hope. However I've had my eye on Florent in particular though. After such a hard year I think he showed the kind of mental toughness we as a club are built on.

Kelly. Kirk. Goodes. Kizza. Macca. All captains who have shown similar mental strength. I'm not comparing him to those champions or saying he'll be a superstar like them. But for me, he's a great young prospect who's shown more than just some speed, endurance or footskills.

It easy enough to build the physicallities required into a player through training etc. It's a hell of a lot harder to change someones attitude, behaviours, values & mental toughness. Life does that first before you get a chance at moulding it & shaping it into what you need.

He seems like a great young man who's done it tough the last year or so but managed to perform. That's a trait which we as a club should be able to utilise & value.

Good luck to him. I hope he digs in & becomes a champion blood.
Very good and sensible post.

I think KB doesn't rate pure footballers and skills, he rates character more important and that hurts in the early picks.

Florent will just be another midfielder you cant hit a target, might create a bit more run and carry and create some options but surely we needed a mid that could kick.

Won't be a bust but will just be another player that can't deliver the last pass into the forward line in the pressure games or under no pressure like most of our mids.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back