Toast Welcome Paddy Dow

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry for the intrusion. I came here purely for the Paddy Dow chat.

He was my favourite player at Carlton and I was sorry to see him go. He has some tremendous qualities and some flaws. Will he break out at the Saints? I don't know but no one knows his ceiling.

Paddy always wowed at training. Dominated pre-season skirmishes but often struggled in the ones. Given Cripps is the main extractor (and that is Dow's best role), this hurt his chances. Dow has always struggled to 'nail down' a spot.

Strengths: He is a midfield extractor more than a burst from congestion player (but he can play that role). Has a fantastic side step in traffic and difficult to tackle. Is quick over about five steps but not elite speed overall. His hands in close are his best weapon and he plays more as a link player. He isn't bad in front of goals. He was very well liked by the players and a great 'team' man.

Weaknesses: His highlights package is awesome but misleading. He does not find a lot of the ball in general play. Even as a full time midfielder, he is a 18-22 touch a game player. Often maligned for not being great defensively (though I think he has worked at that and he is adequate if not a shining light). There were knocks on his fitness as he struggles to run out games. Tends to get a lot of possessions in a hurry and then can go missing for a quarter or a half. He also does not have a second position. Has never been able to impact as a high half forward or a winger. He is not a defender. He is inside mid or bust.

He started to really come good under Teague before Teague was sent packing. Under Voss, it was expected he would flourish. He didn't. Voss seemed not to rate him. Would not play him much at all in the two years he has been in charge. All coaches have their favourites. I watch the twos every week. Paddy regularly dominates there (30-40 touches there is not unusual), although many of his touches go unsighted. Quick handballs in traffic. Has a regular habit of going touchless for 10+ minutes and then racking up 10 in less than 10 minutes.

It means he can find the ball, he just hasn't done it consistently at AFL level. His 'poor' disposal is oversold. I honestly don't think he is a poor kick. He has the odd shank (lots of inside mids do) and midfield extractors often have a poor disposal percentage.

It will be interesting to see how he fares under RTB. Ross demands defensive application. Hopefully Paddy does this. I genuinely think he is an AFL quality player and good enough to play 150 games for you if it works. If Ross doesn't like him, he might be a regular twos man. Hard to tell. I genuinely want him to succeed. Carlton offered him a contract but couldn't offer him a regular game. That's why he left (and the 3-year option vs the 1-year option). Hopefully, this is the right move for him.

The key terms in your post are;

Teague

And

Voss

I’m more than confident that Paddy will thrive under our coaching group. Poor bugger was on a hiding to nothing under a coaches that either couldn’t coach or didn’t rate him.

He plays round 1 & is in the middle for the first bounce for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T
The key terms in your post are;

Teague

And

Voss

I’m more than confident that Paddy will thrive under our coaching group. Poor bugger was on a hiding to nothing under a coaches that either couldn’t coach or didn’t rate him.

He plays round 1 & is in the middle for the first bounce for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Dow - Saints combination is a perfect fit.
Paddy needs continuity in his footy, we need an extractor that can set up Sinclair, Hill, Wilson, Henry, Nas etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back