Toast Welcome Paddy Dow

Remove this Banner Ad

Like this pickup. His clearance numbers a pretty elite and has really good hands in close being able to dish out well. If he can combine these skills and link up with our outside runners (sincs, hill, nas, henry etc) I'd be pretty bullish on what he can deliver.
I’m confident Dow will be a surprise packet to a lot of scribes..his burst from stoppage, clearances and quick hands are exactly what we need.
I just hope we can also get Zac Jones fit and more resilient!

At Carlton he was behind some very good mids. When he got his chance he did pretty well.
Will be a really good addition for us. Can see him playing round one all going well in the pre season.
His numbers in the 10 games he played this year were impressive, unfortunately he was too far back in the midfield queue at Carlton but will be given every opportunity with us…he’ll feel valued for a change!

I’m confident Dow will be a surprise packet to a lot of scribes..his burst from stoppage, clearances and quick hands are exactly what we need.
I just hope we can also get Zac Jones fit and more resilient!

The way Lyon wants us to play with run and pace suits his game. Adding another extractor would be nice but realistically a pure extractor means that Crouch or Steele probably need to rest elsewhere. Too much one paced stodgy midfield numbers hurt your run.

The way Lyon wants us to play with run and pace suits his game. Adding another extractor would be nice but realistically a pure extractor means that Crouch or Steele probably need to rest elsewhere. Too much one paced stodgy midfield numbers hurt your run.
If it was me, I’d have my starting mids Steele, Windhager in a run with role & Dow….Crouch & Jones on the bench!

He was slow to come on, poor kick which seems to have been minimised the he got back into the seniors this year by getting it to the outside.

He was probably unlucky at the Blues. The fans were getting antsy because the footy media kept saying that the Blues were going to have Cripps break down at 25 because he was getting smashed doing it all him self. They went and drafted Dow and Walsh, Walsh came on quick. Dow not so quick.

They then went out and recruited Kennedy, Cerra and Hewwett who all took spots and their wings look set with Acres and Hollands. They also have some depth so Dow had to wait and try to get a toe in when injuries came up. He was usually a sub so got limited minutes. Carlton also have Williams and often move Docherty into a more Sinclair mid/ attacking defence role.
Probably a bit unfair to compare him to Walsh though even though Walsh is younger.

Probably a bit unfair to compare him to Walsh though even though Walsh is younger.

Walsh hit the ground running so owned a spot in the starting midfield. Cripps and Walsh are going to be first picked so probably allows for one more close to full time mid and some rotations. Cerra is a great kick and still quite mobile so took that spot and guys like Kennedy and Hewett are perfect as depth rotations. Dow struggled to break in because they didn't wait for him to develop slowly before bringing others in.

Walsh hit the ground running so owned a spot in the starting midfield. Cripps and Walsh are going to be first picked so probably allows for one more close to full time mid and some rotations. Cerra is a great kick and still quite mobile so took that spot and guys like Kennedy and Hewett are perfect as depth rotations. Dow struggled to break in because they didn't wait for him to develop slowly before bringing others in.
Well now he's had his development so we don't have to wait. Hopefully a win for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paddy Dow plays R1 imo

Ross, Muscles Clarke should be worried

Sorry for the intrusion. I came here purely for the Paddy Dow chat.

He was my favourite player at Carlton and I was sorry to see him go. He has some tremendous qualities and some flaws. Will he break out at the Saints? I don't know but no one knows his ceiling.

Paddy always wowed at training. Dominated pre-season skirmishes but often struggled in the ones. Given Cripps is the main extractor (and that is Dow's best role), this hurt his chances. Dow has always struggled to 'nail down' a spot.

Strengths: He is a midfield extractor more than a burst from congestion player (but he can play that role). Has a fantastic side step in traffic and difficult to tackle. Is quick over about five steps but not elite speed overall. His hands in close are his best weapon and he plays more as a link player. He isn't bad in front of goals. He was very well liked by the players and a great 'team' man.

Weaknesses: His highlights package is awesome but misleading. He does not find a lot of the ball in general play. Even as a full time midfielder, he is a 18-22 touch a game player. Often maligned for not being great defensively (though I think he has worked at that and he is adequate if not a shining light). There were knocks on his fitness as he struggles to run out games. Tends to get a lot of possessions in a hurry and then can go missing for a quarter or a half. He also does not have a second position. Has never been able to impact as a high half forward or a winger. He is not a defender. He is inside mid or bust.

He started to really come good under Teague before Teague was sent packing. Under Voss, it was expected he would flourish. He didn't. Voss seemed not to rate him. Would not play him much at all in the two years he has been in charge. All coaches have their favourites. I watch the twos every week. Paddy regularly dominates there (30-40 touches there is not unusual), although many of his touches go unsighted. Quick handballs in traffic. Has a regular habit of going touchless for 10+ minutes and then racking up 10 in less than 10 minutes.

It means he can find the ball, he just hasn't done it consistently at AFL level. His 'poor' disposal is oversold. I honestly don't think he is a poor kick. He has the odd shank (lots of inside mids do) and midfield extractors often have a poor disposal percentage.

It will be interesting to see how he fares under RTB. Ross demands defensive application. Hopefully Paddy does this. I genuinely think he is an AFL quality player and good enough to play 150 games for you if it works. If Ross doesn't like him, he might be a regular twos man. Hard to tell. I genuinely want him to succeed. Carlton offered him a contract but couldn't offer him a regular game. That's why he left (and the 3-year option vs the 1-year option). Hopefully, this is the right move for him.

He was my favourite player at Carlton and I was sorry to see him go. He has some tremendous qualities and some flaws. Will he break out at the Saints? I don't know but no one knows his ceiling.

Paddy always wowed at training. Dominated pre-season skirmishes but often struggled in the ones. Given Cripps is the main extractor (and that is Dow's best role), this hurt his chances. Dow has always struggled to 'nail down' a spot.

Strengths: He is a midfield extractor more than a burst from congestion player (but he can play that role). Has a fantastic side step in traffic and difficult to tackle. Is quick over about five steps but not elite speed overall. His hands in close are his best weapon and he plays more as a link player. He isn't bad in front of goals. He was very well liked by the players and a great 'team' man.

Weaknesses: His highlights package is awesome but misleading. He does not find a lot of the ball in general play. Even as a full time midfielder, he is a 18-22 touch a game player. Often maligned for not being great defensively (though I think he has worked at that and he is adequate if not a shining light). There were knocks on his fitness as he struggles to run out games. Tends to get a lot of possessions in a hurry and then can go missing for a quarter or a half. He also does not have a second position. Has never been able to impact as a high half forward or a winger. He is not a defender. He is inside mid or bust.

He started to really come good under Teague before Teague was sent packing. Under Voss, it was expected he would flourish. He didn't. Voss seemed not to rate him. Would not play him much at all in the two years he has been in charge. All coaches have their favourites. I watch the twos every week. Paddy regularly dominates there (30-40 touches there is not unusual), although many of his touches go unsighted. Quick handballs in traffic. Has a regular habit of going touchless for 10+ minutes and then racking up 10 in less than 10 minutes.

It means he can find the ball, he just hasn't done it consistently at AFL level. His 'poor' disposal is oversold. I honestly don't think he is a poor kick. He has the odd shank (lots of inside mids do) and midfield extractors often have a poor disposal percentage.

It will be interesting to see how he fares under RTB. Ross demands defensive application. Hopefully Paddy does this. I genuinely think he is an AFL quality player and good enough to play 150 games for you if it works. If Ross doesn't like him, he might be a regular twos man. Hard to tell. I genuinely want him to succeed. Carlton offered him a contract but couldn't offer him a regular game. That's why he left (and the 3-year option vs the 1-year option). Hopefully, this is the right move for him.

Reminds me of Farren Ray who Ross turnaround. At the Dogs Farren was similar, couldn't quite meet expectation of what his draft position suggested. If he works hard Lyon will forgive flaws. He looks like he's a great fit for us if he can.

If we can build up that fitness base, sounds like he will fit a need and add to our shallow midfield.

Anyone who saw the second game v Carlton knows what Dow is capable of.

He absolutely burnt us out of the mids.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Dow will surprise a lot of people this year, for starters he will get more games plus game time on ground.
Added to this he’ll have a coach that appreciates what he brings to the table.
He and Henry will be terrific pick ups!

Reminds me of Farren Ray who Ross turnaround. At the Dogs Farren was similar, couldn't quite meet expectation of what his draft position suggested. If he works hard Lyon will forgive flaws. He looks like he's a great fit for us if he can.
If Dow turns out as well as Farren Ray well that's a serious win for us.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back