Player Watch #19 Peter Ladhams

Remove this Banner Ad

He moves pretty damn well for a big guy. I'm sure he has plenty of development left in him, and I've never watched him play a full match, but from the little I've seen in those highlights, he looks like he could add an extra dimension to the midfield when the ball hits the ground. He's like a +1 in the midfield, particularly against the more lumbering types of ruckman. He's a bit of a hybrid between a mobile ruckman, and a tall (less mobile) midfielder, more ruckman than midfielder, but he looks like he could develop into a top 3 ruckman in the league.

Having a think about this we could have a very strong tall brigade with good service.
Ladhams has two young Turks chasing him who played seniors as forward rucks last year so had best not take it easy.
Bud, Logan, Hayden and Joel all had good games. There's plenty of pressure to perform.

Thanks SwansProudly.
Few stories of him enjoying the party life, shocker of a haircut and the tatts.
Let my prejudices get the better of me. I was expecting a bogan.
He actually spoke well and came across as a grounded guy.

Adds a much needed component to to the club as a ruck/fwd and one who is ready to go, but also has development potential.
Looking forward to his contribution.

Thanks SwansProudly.
Few stories of him enjoying the party life, shocker of a haircut and the tatts.
Let my prejudices get the better of me. I was expecting a bogan.
He actually spoke well and came across as a grounded guy.

Adds a much needed component to to the club as a ruck/fwd and one who is ready to go, but also has development potential.
Looking forward to his contribution.
I reckon in our system he has great upside. If he looks around at training do you think he thinks he can get away with a half arsed attitude or contribution.
The leaders in the team and the young guys will see through any s**t.
If he turns up to training with the right attitude it is gold for us.
Otherwise he will have to dig a big hole.
I sense he wants to grow up and be successful.

He again mentioned that working with dean cox is something he's looking forward to doing, plus hickey will give him plenty of tips. A couple of years with proper ruck development will have him primed to take over once Hickey retires. Not going to lie, the no sideburns thing was a bit off putting haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What 11 players are on the list that are better than him when you factor in what they do for our overrall structure
Doing this for fun in no particular order
Buddy
Hicky
Parker
Mills
Papley
McCartin
Lloyd
Cunningham
Rampe
JMac
Gulden

Last 3 were hard before wanting a 2nd ruck

Missing heeney but also I’d have him in over jmac and I consider myself a huge jmac fan. Arguably over Lloyd aswell. But that’s just my opinion of coarse
I had Heeney down but his HFF positon dropped him lower like Hayward. Lloyd is very important structurally to our side and given his recent B&F finishes they would agree.

Would swap JMac for Heeney though and still gives us half a side before him

Hope they can find a role for Mclean and Armartey they both worked pretty hard to get in the 22. Armartey could be that swingman Reid replacement if needed but can't have Logan and Mclean in the same team with Buddy and Ladhams and I'd hate to see Logan not cement a spot this year. Mclean I rate but if I was him I probably wouldn't have signed the deal to stay, though I'm glad to have him. But dunno how he'll be in the side much next year.
Players need to accept that they may need to wait. Buddy won't be with us for much longer.
Dipper played over 100 games in the reserves before he made his debut with Hawthorn. Didn't kill his career.

More than anyone that has joined the list in the past 3 years, I'm excited to see this guy.

I don't expect much of draftees in the first few years, so all the draftees have been pleasent suprises, but I'm really expecting Ladhams to come in and improve the team immediately. Looking forward to seeing him in the team.

Reckon he will be a valuable contributor for us. He gets a lot of the ball for a big bloke, esp at ground level. Hopefully Cox will help with his ruck skills and he can clunk a few more marks as his confidence grows.

Reckon he will be a valuable contributor for us. He gets a lot of the ball for a big bloke, esp at ground level. Hopefully Cox will help with his ruck skills and he can clunk a few more marks as his confidence grows.

yes, ladhams working with hickey and cox, you have to be excited at the potential development over the next few years if remains healthy and athletic

yes, ladhams working with hickey and cox, you have to be excited at the potential development over the next few years if remains healthy and athletic
Reckon he's in the right frame of mind to improve. Sees the opportunity he has.
Got good people around him who want him to succeed. Not just Hick and Cox but Sinkers, Joey and Parker will all help him improve his effectiveness. He seems to have been welcomed, which is always good for a bloke's morale.
The position is his to lose.

I think he is a better Sinclair. He has the mobility and ability to contribute in the midfield but I dont remember him ever being a great tap ruckman yet.

Probs a bit overrated in general right now, but will definitely be a best 22 contributor and has lots of room to grow.

I am worried about his ability to contribute as a forward because Hickey cant do that either and Hickey should be starting in the ruck.

I think he is a better Sinclair. He has the mobility and ability to contribute in the midfield but I dont remember him ever being a great tap ruckman yet.

Probs a bit overrated in general right now, but will definitely be a best 22 contributor and has lots of room to grow.

I am worried about his ability to contribute as a forward because Hickey cant do that either and Hickey should be starting in the ruck.
I imagine the plan with Ladhams is to play him in the forward/second ruck role until Hickey retires or Ladhams surpasses him. Probably two seasons, the likely remainder of Hickey's contract. The role Reid played and for which Reid could still be backup although both McLean and Amartey played it last season. Hickey will continue to play a bit forward and a bit back as he has done this year.
During this time lots of work will be put into developing Ladhams' ruck craft but no doubt into his forward work as well. He certainly says he wants to learn and improve and he has some good teachers around him. From what I've seen in highlights he has some decent skills but is maybe a bit hit or miss. Port played him primarily as a forward and I believe told him that's where they saw him.
Initially I suspect he will give us more than we've had as the second ruck but about the same as a forward. He's two years older than McLean and has played about 20 more games.
Horse has indicated he wants to get more games into McDonald so I'm guessing he'll play as the second tall.
If Ladhams flops we have Reid, Amartey and McLean as Plan B, C, D.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back