Player Watch Pick #12 (2021) - Josh Sinn

Remove this Banner Ad

Sinn, Jones, Bergman, Burton, Houston, hell even Bonner. All good height, long kicking, line breaking types, with some overhead marking ability. Three of them need to become great wingers/mids.
Surely Jones, Houston and Bergman rotating mid or wing?

The “good” Pittard was the one that played within himself and didn’t attempt to go for the heroball kick that he would * up 7 times out of 10.

Sinn has the ability to make that kick 7 times out of 10. I’m hoping for more of a Lachie Whitfield.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Really, really excited about this young lad. Clearly has some elite traits and will be able to play on the outside from day 1 at AFL level. He has really developed into his body and I don't think it is unreasonable to think he may have some stints where he will pinch hit in the midfield this year. Long term his floor is as an aggressive half back flanker who can play further up onto the wing, whilst his ceiling is as a Bontempelli type line breaking mid.

There's elements of his game that remind me a lot of Polec in 2014 for us - maybe more so Josh Kelly, though I really think he's got the body frame to be our Bont in coming years.

Appears to be a kid of elite character, and based on his media interviews to date, can't imagine that homesickness is going to be a factor.

all seeing eye

exquirentibus veritatem
Nov 26, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Straight into the guts for the Magpies to learn the midfield craft. Need him to come good in this role as we have million back flankers. Also only played 9 games in 2 yrs I think.

Revan11

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The “good” Pittard was the one that played within himself and didn’t attempt to go for the heroball kick that he would fu** up 7 times out of 10.

Sinn has the ability to make that kick 7 times out of 10. I’m hoping for more of a Lachie Whitfield.
I don't want to jinx him, but his explosive pace and the way he evades reminds me of Judd.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sinn, Jones, Bergman, Burton, Houston, hell even Bonner. All good height, long kicking, line breaking types, with some overhead marking ability. Three of them need to become great wingers/mids.
Between them all the sooner Jonas and his predictable kick ins and inability to match up taller KPFs is out of them team the better.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
The “good” Pittard was the one that played within himself and didn’t attempt to go for the heroball kick that he would fu** up 7 times out of 10.

The other issue Pittard had is, and you're going to love this, he had nobody to kick to because of the gameplan at the time. So he'd run himself into trouble and jam the ball on the boot and we simply weren't playing a key forward or if we were he was wildly outnumbered.

If we got a 21yo Pittard in 2021, he would have seemed a lot more effective because there would have been 3 very talented key forwards waiting ahead of him and he would have thrived with Dixon as a break glass in case of emergency kick where if he kicks it anywhere near Charlie won't get intercepted.

Sinn looks a bit more composed to me, more awareness and more vision so i'd expect him to find himself in trouble a lot less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sinns highlights show a kid prepared to take the game on with the added beauty of hitting targets with exquisite foot skills.

When Pittard was drafted, we were blessed with a highlights package that showed him missing tackles, missing spoils, falling over, turning over the ball and running in circles. And waddaya know? For the first 6 years at on our list he missed tackles, missed spoils, fell over, turned the ball over and ran in circles.

There is nothing about Sinns game which is like Pittards

Gerard Healy's confusion and St Kilda's loss is our gain:

"I begin by declaring I’ve never seen Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera or Josh Sinn play a game of football."

The absolute state of football journalism. Two first round players he's never watched play, and yet passes judgement on? Why are you even paid you dickhead. This is a man on one of the premier football shows (on the couch) which talks about how amazing their cast is. ******* useless.

HHHAMMERtime

All Australian
Oct 24, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The other issue Pittard had is, and you're going to love this, he had nobody to kick to because of the gameplan at the time. So he'd run himself into trouble and jam the ball on the boot and we simply weren't playing a key forward or if we were he was wildly outnumbered.

If we got a 21yo Pittard in 2021, he would have seemed a lot more effective because there would have been 3 very talented key forwards waiting ahead of him and he would have thrived with Dixon as a break glass in case of emergency kick where if he kicks it anywhere near Charlie won't get intercepted.

Sinn looks a bit more composed to me, more awareness and more vision so i'd expect him to find himself in trouble a lot less.
The other difference between the two is that Sinn and Pittard aren’t even in the same ball park in regards to pace and agility. Pittard was quick and agile yes, but sinn is genuinely a chance to be the fastest and most agile player in the afl. If he runs himself into trouble he’s also a lot more likely to get himself out of it by using these tools as well. This kid has potentially the highest ceiling of any player we’ve ever drafted if he can learn how to win his own ball better. There’s a reason he was competing with daicos and Horne-Francis for pick one at the start of the year.

Adz2332

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We put a lot of faith in the younger developing years of football over more recent games when drafting. worked out so well with MG, hopefully this does to.

Hopefully when in the magpies he and Jones are starting Mids. dont want them playing as flankers in the 2s

jakey

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Others will know better than me, but don't we have a reasonable record with taking risks on players who were injured in their draft year?

MG definitely, wasn't Butters injured a bit in his draft year too?
IIRC we've never drafted a player that wasn't injured in their draft year.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Reminds me of Judd mixed with Ablett Jnr but with a touch of dusty Martin. But better.
He's a bit like Dean Gore.

Screenshot_2021-11-26-21-43-41-542.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back