List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, as the dust settles I can see the reasoning behind the pick. Shep looking unlikely, Hurn surely in his last year, Jetta already gone. A bit of speed and class off half back would be handy.

We've been one of the worst rebounding sides in the league for a couple of years now, and every second melt in a game day thread is about our slow stagnant ball movement from the back half. Whilst Hobbs was my dream get and I hate that we passed him up, I can definitely see the need for a player like Chesser.

We've been one of the worst rebounding sides in the league for a couple of years now, and every second melt in a game day thread is about our slow stagnant ball movement from the back half. Whilst Hobbs was my dream get and I hate that we passed him up, I can definitely see the need for a player like Chesser.

Its the shitty gameplan,doesn't matter if we need players like him if, Simpson doesn't change that game plan.Its not the kids fault but I've just about had enough of O'Brien.He needs to go ASAP.

He could be the steal of the draft. You don't lose talent, and he seems to have it in spades. Touted top 10 if not for his knee issue.

We would never have been able to draft Judd if he didn't slide to our pick because of this shoulder issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because the midfield gets belted

Tom Swift was rated the best 16 year old ever..That turned out well for us.

The last thing we need is a half back flanker. And we got ourselves a half back flanker.

Don’t really understand this attitude. The Eagles are good in some areas but I wouldn’t say that half back is one of them. Hurn is almost certainly in his last season, Shep has been very good but is on the wrong side of 30 and under a concussion cloud, Cole is a small defender and is aggressively mediocre, Duggan is also not a game breaker and they seem keen to run him through the middle, Rotham has been in and out of the side and makes some dumb decisions (and is more of a marking defender), and Witherden has struggled to hold down a spot and isn’t particularly fast. Having a lot of mediocre half backs doesn’t mean that the Eagles don’t have a need for a fast half back who can be dynamic and take the game on, and break open the other team’s defence.

I know he’s likely to play some HBF, but everything I see in his footage suggests he’d work well up the ground. Clean handling, good decisions. Honestly, he seems to play similarly to Josh Goater, but with a reliable kick. And he comes with a bonus F2 pick. I like him, and I see him getting games on a wing in 2022.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bit surprised with the pick of Chesser considering a couple of local boys with contested ball winning abilities, who I rated highly, in Johnson ( surprised he is still available) and Sheldrick were still on the board. Even Hobbs made sense.

But I do rate Chesser as a 1st rounder and think he will play as a wingman longterm

Hopefully you add a contested mid with your next pick, still a few available

Feels like the XON situation a bit (picked much higher than expected, spent time out of action), but difference with XON is that very few knew he existed, but plenty of experts still rate Chesser.
I think part of us going Chesser is that we seem to rate XON. Maybe they believe that Xon due to covid missed out on vital development and that schey and knights should benefit him a lot.

Don’t really understand this attitude. The Eagles are good in some areas but I wouldn’t say that half back is one of them. Hurn is almost certainly in his last season, Shep has been very good but is on the wrong side of 30 and under a concussion cloud, Cole is a small defender and is aggressively mediocre, Duggan is also not a game breaker and they seem keen to run him through the middle, Rotham has been in and out of the side and makes some dumb decisions (and is more of a marking defender), and Witherden has struggled to hold down a spot and isn’t particularly fast. Having a lot of mediocre half backs doesn’t mean that the Eagles don’t have a need for a fast half back who can be dynamic and take the game on, and break open the other team’s defence.
Agree with this, but it feels like you can usually get good rebounding defenders in the second round - you usually need top 20 picks to get good inside mids though.

People always say we finish too high and don’t get good enough picks to take the best mids…

So happy to have him at the club. Seems like a genuinely good guy, too.

But he’s quick, a good kick, and runs both ways. If he’s fit, will make an impact immediately IMO.

People have this thought stuck in their minds that we needed inside midfield depth, but he fits a genuine need for us also. Also picked up another second rounder basically for free.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back