List Mgmt. Welcome pick 14 - Campbell Chesser

Remove this Banner Ad

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
I like that he is quick and a good ball user. Speed was certainly an issue this year. The reports of his off field persona certainly tick a lot of boxes in the leadership area, though he's a long way to go in his AFL career before he is potentially moving into those sort of circles.

I (and probably all of us) would like it more if he was a more natural midfielder, and of course if he didn't have injury concerns after the year we've had. But these are critiques of this list management strategy, rather than the draftee himself. The club obviously didn't rate Johnson as high as some and with him slipping through that has been somewhat justified (though we won't fully know for a few years) and once Erasmus and Wanganeen-Milera were taken, it feels like Chesser was the next name on our board. For all we know we might have had Chesser top ten and feel like we've walked away with an absolute steal.

Hopefully the club does view him as a midfield type, but even if he does stay as a half back flanker there are spots set to open there with Hurn probably playing his last season and Shep not going to be around much longer after that. We have Nelson and Cole battling out for spots, but they are players that could easily be leapfrogged by a quality youngster.

I definitely like that we scored a second rounder next year and - from all reports - got the same player we were going to take at 12.

Feels like a bit of a high risk high reward pick (athletic type with injury concerns), but given he was an AA U/16 not a huge reach at #14. If he's got the mindset that has been reported than that is a big positive because with the amount of retirements we are set to see over the next 3-4 years, there is going to be plenty of opportunity for those with the right mentality.

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Good sign already his got the ball in his hand in this photo.
Not sure but it could be a sign his a possible ball magnet.
877de88c75e5ff73d9901bf89575c660.jpg

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Clubs got some extended highlights up now boiz.

Would like to have seen a bit more of this dash and some good kicking. Anyone got his combine/test results?

His foot skills are going to need a bit of work as he seems to elevate his kicks a bit. And the only real time he showed dash he got ran down.

His hands seemed decent, and seeing him occasionally around a stoppage was good at least. Hopefully can bring a bit of fleet footed zip.

Ha I guess it shows the futility of judging on a few YouTube highlights. There was more examples of his inside work and some good tackling than any real use of his pace.

Looks to have pretty good evasiveness in traffic and good hands. In terms of kicking, the one at about 4.20 of that clip out of defence got me genuinely excited

Basically no footy in two years is a worry though

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Ha I guess it shows the futility of judging on a few YouTube highlights. There was more examples of his inside work and some good tackling than any real use of his pace.

Looks to have pretty good evasiveness in traffic and good hands. In terms of kicking, the one at about 4.20 of that clip out of defence got me genuinely excited

Basically no footy in two years is a worry though
Yeah but I saying that Covid is to blame for losing one season of that. Every young player missed a whole season during the Covid lockdown 2020 season. Not much can do about that.

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

Fatty rules

Team Captain
Feb 16, 2008
Brussels
AFL Club
West Coast
Bums me out thinking how excited Campbell would be, until he reads the Twitter comments section and parts of this board. He seems a genuinely good kid and pumped to be beginning his career with the Eagles.

Looking forward to seeing how he develops. Best of luck mate.
Totally agree. Looking forward to seeing him develop, and very happy that he's been picked. This year we were as slow as a wet week, and a bit of pace and repeat running won't go astray.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
To be fair, as the dust settles I can see the reasoning behind the pick. Shep looking unlikely, Hurn surely in his last year, Jetta already gone. A bit of speed and class off half back would be handy.

Not saying you're wrong but Duggan, Cole, Rotham, Foley - the cupboard's not that bare in that area or even old.

We had the best contested bull of the draft in front of us with Shuey not fit for the middle anymore and Yeo getting on and Kelly being played there out of his best damaging position. Surely we could've kept Redden as insurance and given Hobbs a crack in there early on.

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Most want a contested bull because that apparently is our need. We had the best contested bull in the comp and most on here wanted him gone.

Except by that time in his career that contested Bull could only effect the contest if it was a few inches in front of him.
He became a contested liability in the end due to his lack of ability to get to a contest.

...we are talking about Priddis right haha

Jun 18, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

Looks a smooth mover, and pretty much chipped that goal through from 45m. Surprising number of handballs in there given his draft write-ups, but at least they were to players in the clear rather than the dinky handballs to a team mate our current mids seem to enjoy.

Trouto

Premiership Player
Jul 3, 2007
Bunbury
AFL Club
West Coast
Everyone banging on about our recruiting in picking Chesser has me shaking my head. We are a super successful club over the decades and the scouts will have much more info on the players than we do. if they think Chesser is our best option at 14, then so be it. All drafts are a bit risky, but if you guys start bagging out a kid because he was picked over the kid YOU thought should come to us, then you are setting him up for "whipping boy" status.

Lets take a look at the kid with the team before crucifying him!

Jun 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
The only person that would fill that jumper would be Gov.

Castore hands down have to be the worst guernsey manufacturer in history...and we're slowly devolving into the Dockers with embarrassing showings like a Shaq sized jumper. That poor kid.

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Highlights look good. Good kick, nice vision.... moves like jetta.

Hope he knows how to kick to the right and to the boundary.

Bit of run from d50 would be fecking glorious

Spange

Club Legend
May 24, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NBA: Thunder
I’m a glass half full guy so will back him regardless of us wanting to get a petracca clone at our pick.

what I am excited about is the comments about his two way running plus he looks to be a unit already. Like someone mentioned already Langdon was working really hard around the ground but was not damaging the opposition because limitations. If this Chesser fella can achieve as much ground coverage as Langdon does he could end up slicing up opposition with damaging kicks through the guts… unless he train it out of him 😋

Remove this Banner Ad

Back